1st Battalion / 7th Cavalry Regiment

jeffreyvanspengen

Welcome Jeffery welcome to the forum...looks like some good pictures there....some good attention to details on your displays.

Keep up the good work

Just a thought though ..you may want to edit the third picture out.....buddy

Regards

Lloyd (moderator of the re enactor section)

Thanks Jeff i appreciate it...please feel free to post more diorama/camp and re enacting pictures of your group.

Regards

Lloyd

jeffreyvanspengen

I am not an member of the group ;) But i know a couple off members and i meet them a couple off times at events . Within a couple off months i hope to join the group.

Jeffrey ;)

jvsfotos104.jpg

Hi Jeff,

Just for future reference, this photo actually has the wrong poncho liner displayed for the Vietnam era. That poncho liner is a later issue with the "woodland pattern" camouflage of the same style as the BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) that the US Army adopted in the early 80s.

The Vietnam era poncho is pictured below with helmet for size reference. The camouflage pattern is ERDL. Same style pattern as the camouflaged jungle fatigues of the same era.

Hope this helps.

BEAR

A Big thank you for posting that BEAR.....that is EXACTLY what we need on this re enactor forum...an experienced collector imparting some knowledge and education to a new re enactor that can only enhance his display and his knowledge.

Guys feel free to help the "new" re enactors please.

Thanks BEAR

Regards

LLoyd

jeffreyvanspengen

Thanks Bear, I didn't now that, i will send a email to the Re-enactor about the poncho.

Sheikh Al Stranghi
Thanks Bear, I didn't now that, i will send a email to the Re-enactor about the poncho.

Ha, thanks for criticizing my display. (even though it's mostly S/sgt Eastbirds's stuff in there)

I know the poncho is a bit off, it was the best substitute for a good one. Don't know when these were introduced exactly, around 1970 I presume? I've seen woodland helmet covers dated as early as 1970, these were real early woodland, not ERDL.

So Jeff, soon-to-be bunkmate, where's that email? ;)

Oh, and one other thing, those claymore bags are post-war but nobody will see the difference.

craig_pickrall
I've seen woodland helmet covers dated as early as 1970, these were real early woodland, not ERDL.

Can you provide any photo evidence of these 1970 dated covers? Woodland Pattern was type classified in 1979. Items started showing up in the system in the early 80's.

While there are always experimental items and they may even be field tested in a war zone. I can't imagine there was any large number of Woodland Pattern anything in Vietnam.

Sheikh Al Stranghi
Can you provide any photo evidence of these 1970 dated covers? Woodland Pattern was type classified in 1979. Items started showing up in the system in the early 80's.

While there are always experimental items and they may even be field tested in a war zone. I can't imagine there was any large number of Woodland Pattern anything in Vietnam.

I will, as soon as I find a pic , or am able to take a picture myself.

(Edit: I just found a photo of US troops in Saigon wearing woodland covers in 1975, too bad I dont have a working scanner. I'll keep looking for earlier ones.)

Oh and jeff, I'm wwoerkbrotherhoodunitypeace at gmail.com, not Bart.

Woodland was creeping in for grenada in 83. most troops deploying there had it then. Choc chip was developing for ex bright star in egypt at the same time. certainly USAF troops in england were only wearing the covers on helmets and not the uniforms in that year.

stocks of ERDL poncho liners were exhausted (my field gear at RAF Greenham common featured an ERDL poncho liner with a 72 DSA in 1989.)

woodland is not something that should be associated with the Vietnam conflict. It is not possible to shoehorn ones own aspirations for this camo pattern into the reality of what was worn.

sorry. : ;)

Sound advice Deros......thats the only way to truly be correct is to get info direct with irrefutable proof......or do the research to get the impression correct.

The impression doesnt work if you "assume" any part of the impression because someone will always come up with evidence to prove you wrong.

Imme please use the forums PM facility to contact members and friends please.

Thanks buddy

Regards

Lloyd

Sheikh Al Stranghi

Roger, sorry ssgt.

I know it's bad to assume things in this hobby, but we do need something to sleep under and the originals are just too expensive to wreck :rolleyes:

Next time I'll keep mine rolled in my poncho or pack, and use something else as a table sheet.

End of topic, thanks for all the help.

To keep it rolling:

Were reinforced trousers used by US troops in the vietnam conflict or was that just a ARVN thingy?

knee andd seat reinforcement are a feature of the BDU uniform which is of course available commercially in OD. the pants at first glance are the same as VN era and may well suffice for paintballers and such like.

nam era pants will have no reinforcements and will feature a survival kit pocket inside one of the cargo pockets (right I think.. dont hold me to it) zip fly rather than button is a feature of nam era ripstops, BDU has returned to buttons.

Another observation ..... just for the sake of historical accuracy.

The Tabasco sauce bottle pictured is from the Meal, Ready to Eat (MRE) ration. This is a post Vietnam refinement to to the field rations. In Vietnam the troops were issued canned C-rations. MREs were developed in the late 70s and issued in the early 80s.

GIs have always enjoyed hot sauce with their rations (helps kill the taste buds) but they have always had to carry their own bottles...that is until the MREs were developed.

Hope this helps.

BEAR

Sheikh Al Stranghi
Another observation ..... just for the sake of historical accuracy.

The Tabasco sauce bottle pictured is from the Meal, Ready to Eat (MRE) ration. This is a post Vietnam refinement to to the field rations. In Vietnam the troops were issued canned C-rations. MREs were developed in the late 70s and issued in the early 80s.

GIs have always enjoyed hot sauce with their rations (helps kill the taste buds) but they have always had to carry their own bottles...that is until the MREs were developed.

Hope this helps.

BEAR

hmm... I know that. Why the hell is that in there crying.gif

Ah, sometimes we all go blind. Probably was because we'd been eating MRE's outside of display hours.

Sheikh,

Please don't take my comments as a slam. I know reenactors and living history buffs thrive on accuracy so I just try to help things along when I can. :)

BEAR

Thats the only way we learn Bear..with "constructive critiscism"......and if you can take that..you aint all "that"...

regards

Lloyd

Sheikh Al Stranghi
Sheikh,

Please don't take my comments as a slam. I know reenactors and living history buffs thrive on accuracy so I just try to help things along when I can. :)

BEAR

I love criticism, it's the only way to learn. I always take things people say very seriously, and without people pushing others in the right direction, where would we be?

Probably was because we'd been eating MRE's outside of display hours.

disgust.gif

I was thinking about starting re-enactment with this group, but now I have to re-consider. Who in their right mind would voluntarly eat a Meal Rejected by Ethiopians? think.gif

:D

Greetz ;)

David

Sheikh Al Stranghi
disgust.gif

I was thinking about starting re-enactment with this group, but now I have to re-consider. Who in their right mind would voluntarly eat a Meal Rejected by Ethiopians? think.gif

:D

Greetz ;)

David

Hey, my LT just returned from Afghanistan, cut him some slack will ya! :lol:

• 8 months later...