I'm Back - More Field Gear Help Needed

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Went to a show yesterday and well, I ran into some very odd gear. First up is this odd bag...I've seen it before but I can't remember where or what it's for. I flipped through that "Government Issue" book with no avail....also searched for unknown bag on the forum here, but couldn't find it. Any thoughts as to what it is? There are no markings anywhere. Thanks ABN :thumbsup:

post-1800-1306202897.jpg

post-1800-1306202967.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

A friend of mine had this canteen....the construction is definately not normal, and it is only faintly marked "US" on the front. The male snaps are also considerably longer than normal. Any thoughts as to when it was made? Any specific purpose? Knock off? Thanks ABN

post-1800-1306203154.jpg

'Flage Guy

Those are 2 primo pieces! The Bag looks to be ordnance or communications related (just an off-the-wall guess), except that that gear is usually code-marked with letters and a series of numbers. That Canteen Cover is too cool; I can see the faint "U.S." on the front, and the long male studs of the LTDs. Truly strange bird!

Airborne-Hunter
Those are 2 primo pieces! The Bag looks to be ordnance or communications related (just an off-the-wall guess), except that that gear is usually code-marked with letters and a series of numbers. That Canteen Cover is too cool; I can see the faint "U.S." on the front, and the long male studs of the LTDs. Truly strange bird!

For some reason, I seem to remember the bag being called an airborne medic/medical bag, but I'm not sure..I have seen it somewhere before..that canteen sure is odd. I didn't see any markings other than just the U.S.......do you think it could be theater made or something like that? Thanks ABN :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Got recently the same bag over here (in France), and though having sent pics to friends, quite sharp US WW2 items collectors, no solutions.

You and I, Airborne-Hunter, are the happy owners of something surely scarce but still unidentified. :dunno:

Foxy

craig_pickrall
For some reason, I seem to remember the bag being called an airborne medic/medical bag, but I'm not sure..I have seen it somewhere before..that canteen sure is odd. I didn't see any markings other than just the U.S.......do you think it could be theater made or something like that? Thanks ABN :thumbsup:

I think the bag shown below is the Airborne Medical Bag you are thinking of. The two bags are nothing alike. I think your bag is probably for a communication item. Not a field bag but rather an item used at a headquarters.

post-5-1334871755.jpg

post-5-1334871762.jpg

post-5-1334871768.jpg

A friend of mine had this canteen....the construction is definately not normal, and it is only faintly marked "US" on the front. The male snaps are also considerably longer than normal. Any thoughts as to when it was made? Any specific purpose? Knock off? Thanks ABN

This canteen cover looks a lot like the stuff made for the movie "Windtalkers".

Ronnie

Hello Airborne !

Some time ago I posted the topic "unidentified US canteen cover", with a cover identical to your one. Among comments: "fake", Australian made, experimental, sample" etc.

I don't think that we have a fake made to be sold to unaware collectors. Your one, and mine (which is mint & unissued) have trace of old oxizidation on the hardware. So I guess they are old and made when these covers were not yet faked. Anyway it is amaizing that we had two identical "mistery" covers in so few time...

Fausto

post-8381-1334901447.jpg

last...

By the way, what I really can't understand is why the back was made in two pieces with that odd seam. The reason? The utility? Any idea?...

post-8381-1334901553.jpg

Airborne-Hunter
last...

By the way, what I really can't understand is why the back was made in two pieces with that odd seam. The reason? The utility? Any idea?...

Very interesting....the canteen I took pictures of was old. I know the seller and the day I took those pictures was the first time that piece had seen light in over 10 years, if not 20 years. He bought it in a lot of field gear and I think that lot came out of an estate. Best ABN

• 2 weeks later...
Airborne-Hunter

Ok I've go some new ones. First up this odd bracket. My friend has it and we assume it's for a jeep, but what is it exactly for?

post-1800-1335747663.jpg

post-1800-1335747696.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

next is this odd sewing kit. It looks to be marked JQMD, but the stamp is faint. All I can make out it _____ Kit Sewing Camp ____. Anyone seen anything like this? Thanks :thumbsup:

post-1800-1335747770.jpg

post-1800-1335747777.jpg

craig_pickrall
Really odd nylon buttpack. No markings anywhere. Any thoughts?

This is one of several versions of private purchase butt packs that are copies of the original. Each one has something different or missing from the original design. The one you show is missing the poncho straps.

• 7 months later...

guys, a friend of mine also has the same canteen that ABN has posted about. Same green piece on back, same color, everything. Same long male lift the dot pegs as well. There's no US on it that I can tell though. Has anyone found out anymore about these canteen covers? I was thinking maybe Australian made myself, but that's just because it looks like the color of a WWII USMC canteen cover. If anyone knows anymore about these odd canteen covers, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am by no means an expert but when I saw the two different canteen covors in question my first thought was that it may have been modified. Maybe extended to hold a larger canteen. Again I base this on first opinion when looking at it. If this was truly the case then its possible that the lift the dot pegs were changed to accomodate the new bottle. Maybe check to see if there is any evidence of the peg side of the snap having been removed and a different one put back on. That is what I would look for if I were holding it in my hand. Best of luck with the ID and I will be checking back for updates!

D.