black berets in vietnam

agate hunter

agate hunter

Hi everyone, I was wondering what units or groups wore black berets during the vietnam war.

thanks for any replys

mayralphie

I believe the 75th Ranger's wore black berets and the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment (Aero Rifle platoon). Someone said the 46th Special Foreces had them but the one I got from my cousin (Who was in the unit in Thbailand) is green .

mayralphie

Found this internet:

1st Infantry Division, in 1967 in the Republic of Vietnam; Company H (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 1st Cavalry Division, in 1970 in the Republic of Vietnam; and Company N (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 173d Airborne Brigade, in 1971 in the Republic of Vietnam.

The black beret was pretty generic and was popular with many units as stated above.Support,Security,MPs etc wore them as well.HAL 3 Sea Wolves who supported the SEALs wore them as well.Also units like the ARVN armored units wore them also and others too.Very popular with most any LRRP,Ranger and Recon type units in my opinion as well as a great souvenier to bring home

Spy vs Spy

Like Doyler say, many wore the black beret.

The 46th "Thai" Special Forces asigned to Rangers hade black ones. I have one black Bankroft made beret with 46th flash and gold RANGER tab above flash.

Regards// M

I often wore one in the field. A couple examples follow:

In the picture below, I am wearing a gray sweatshirt my mother sent me from home along with my black beret (Vietnamese procured) while on Hill 425 in Jan 68.

post-1107-1306235342.jpg

In this one, also on Hill425, this time in Apr 68, I am wearing a different black, Viet-procured black beret. Another Recon Marine is also wearing one.

post-1107-1306235697.jpg

In addition to black, some of our guys wore green ones as well. Here is one of my buddies on Charlie ridge about March of 67, wearing his Vietnamese-procured green beret.

FYI: We wore these berets in the field only. They were never allowed on the combat base. The same held for wearing bush covers or even bush utilities (camo) on the combat base unless we were going directly to the LZ for an insert of coming back immediately after an extraction. Top Tuttle was very specific on this issue. He said we were Marines and, on the combat base we'd better look like Marines; one NEVER wanted to get sideways with Top Tuttle!

post-1107-1306236394.jpg

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
seanmc1114

My father's Army platoon (2nd Platoon Company A 1st Battalion 505th Infantry 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division) wore black berets and black scarves in Vietnam in 1968. The first picture shows my father in the center during a standown at the beach - July 1968. The second picture shows a guy in his platoon with his 82nd AIrborne SSI while at the 82nd's basecamp - Camp Rodriguez. His beret appears to have some sort on scroll on it. They called themselves the Death Platoon, so it might say that.  

pictu133.jpg

pictu178.jpg