May 1939, 72 years since..

RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

May 23rd marks the 72nd anniversary of the accidental sinking of U.S.S. Squalus (SS-192), sister boat Sculpin (SS-191) located Squalus on the bottom of the sea. Falcon was dispatched to the wreck and with a courageous crew managed to rescue the survivors using a diving bell.

By strange coincidence ex-Squalus renamed Sailfish sank a Japanese transport carrying survivors from Sculpin which had been lost previously.

rufus_firefly

Many years ago I read an account of the raising of the Squalus and am familiar with her subsequent history. I believe the conning tower was preserved as a memorial, at the submarine school? The cause of the sinking, as I recall, was a main induction valve that stuck open and a warning light that failed to show that the valve was still open, otherwise the dive would have been halted. Part of the crew was lost when their part of the sub was sealed by shutting a hatch to prevent the whole boat from flooding. That part of the crew in the unflooded part of the boat was rescued using a diving bell. The survivors were all transferred out of the submarine service. This was all written off the top of my head. Any corrections will be welcomed.

RustyCanteen
Many years ago I read an account of the raising of the Squalus and am familiar with her subsequent history. I believe the conning tower was preserved as a memorial, at the submarine school? The cause of the sinking, as I recall, was a main induction valve that stuck open and a warning light that failed to show that the valve was still open, otherwise the dive would have been halted. Part of the crew was lost when their part of the sub was sealed by shutting a hatch to prevent the whole boat from flooding. That part of the crew in the unflooded part of the boat was rescued using a diving bell. The survivors were all transferred out of the submarine service. This was all written off the top of my head. Any corrections will be welcomed.

Pretty much correct from what I recall, I think the number of men rescued was around 24?

There was, I think a film made about the events.

rufus_firefly

A link to a US Navy history page. Enter Squalus and there are several pages including a list of those saved and those lost. I too recall seeing a film shot during the salvage. What I recall is an Omaha class light cruiser being at the site of the sinking. The salvage operation was led by Charles "Swede" Momsen, inventor of the rescue breathing device named for him. 33 survived. Squalus was one of several boats lost between the world wars.

Another Squalus link.

RustyCanteen

Yes, he later commanded U.S.S. South Dakota (BB-57) during WWII for a time. I know the film footage you're speaking of, but there was also a made for TV movie filmed about the rescue.

rufus_firefly
Yes, he later commanded U.S.S. South Dakota (BB-57) during WWII for a time. I know the film footage you're speaking of, but there was also a made for TV movie filmed about the rescue.

I'm not familiar with the made for tv movie. Do you recall the name?

Interest can be bumped up with pics of assoc. memorabilia no matter how insignificant?

RustyCanteen
Interest can be bumped up with pics of assoc. memorabilia no matter how insignificant?

I don't think you'll find much since it was in service for such a short time under it's original name.

Did a quick Google search on Sam Neill. The movie was "Submerged", 2001.

Tom

P.S. Anyone who has been in a WWII sub will know that the main valve manifold in the control room has many different shaped handles. I am told this came out of the Squalus sinking in that the handles were made so someone could tell what valve he had his hand on in total darkness by its shape.

RustyCanteen

That's the name of it!

Rufus_Firefly the account you mentioned reading was likely Peter Maas's "The Terrible Hours".