Navy WIA Info Request

h2oman

Here's a Navy Purple Heart medal bar that I picked up this weekend at a local military show. I'm having trouble locating info on him other than his name. I'm asking forum members for a little help on how to proceed with my research.

His name is John McKinley Parker Bean.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Have you seen this?

OMAHA - John M. Bean, 90, died Friday, Aug. 21, 2009, at Midlands Hospital in Papillion.

Visitation was Monday at John A. Gentleman Mortuary in Omaha. Burial with military honors will be Wednesday, Dec. 2, at 3 p.m. at Arlington National Cemetery.

Memorials go to the Nebraska Humane Society.

---

John McKinley Bean was born Sept. 28, 1918, in Wakefield to Herbert and Bertha (Church) Bean. He graduated from Wakefield High School and joined the U.S. Navy, where he served for 31 years until his retirement, achieving the rank of chief warrant officer.

On Jan. 7, 1948, he married Helen VonSeggern in Stockton, Calif. Following his retirement he returned to live in Wayne and then Norfolk before moving to Omaha five years ago.

He is survived by his wife, Helen of Papillion, five children, nine grandchildren and numerous great-grandchildren.

The mortuary is located at 1010 N. 72nd St.

Have you seen this?

OMAHA - John M. Bean, 90, died Friday, Aug. 21, 2009, at Midlands Hospital in Papillion.

Visitation was Monday at John A. Gentleman Mortuary in Omaha. Burial with military honors will be Wednesday, Dec. 2, at 3 p.m. at Arlington National Cemetery.

Memorials go to the Nebraska Humane Society.

---

John McKinley Bean was born Sept. 28, 1918, in Wakefield to Herbert and Bertha (Church) Bean. He graduated from Wakefield High School and joined the U.S. Navy, where he served for 31 years until his retirement, achieving the rank of chief warrant officer.

On Jan. 7, 1948, he married Helen VonSeggern in Stockton, Calif. Following his retirement he returned to live in Wayne and then Norfolk before moving to Omaha five years ago.

He is survived by his wife, Helen of Papillion, five children, nine grandchildren and numerous great-grandchildren.

The mortuary is located at 1010 N. 72nd St.

Grave info:

Birth: Sep. 28, 1918

Death: Aug. 21, 2009

Note: CWO4 US NAVY

Burial:

Arlington National Cemetery

Arlington

Arlington County

Virginia, USA

Plot: Sec: 7-A ROW 9, Site: 5

KASTAUFFER

He was on the USS PRUITT during the Pearl Harbor attack. I dont know when he was wounded .

SN 316-56-33

• 2 months later...

His name was John Mckinley Packer Bean.

He was wounded during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

He is survived by his widow, Helen, daughters, Ellen, Jane, Jessica and sons John M.P. and Shawn.

He died on August 21, 2009 and was inurned with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery Columbarium Court NO.7. Section A, Stack 9, Niche NO. 5.

He served his country with honor.

He was my dad.

I am proud to be his daughter, Jessica.

Here's a Navy Purple Heart medal bar that I picked up this weekend at a local military show. I'm having trouble locating info on him other than his name. I'm asking forum members for a little help on how to proceed with my research.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Here are the ships I could find that CWO Bean served on from a quick look at the USN Muster Rolls:

Pruitt DM 22

Whippoorwill

Lexington CV 16

Solace AH-5

Salerno Bay CVE 110

Best of luck on your research! :thumbsup:

The Solace was a Hospital ship. I am assuming he was wounded on the USS Lexington when she was hit by a Kamikaze in Nov 1944 and he was transferred to the Solace and then back to the Lex. .

Kurt

• 6 months later...
daniel.haase

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this Purple Heart? I would like to purchase it, as I am his Grandson by marriage. It is disturbing that after his daughter posted, there was no attempted contact with her. I asked the original who posted, if there were any others from him, as his family would want them. Not even getting into the stolen valor act, it is just wrong that someone who knows that this purple heart that is desired by HIS FAMILY would still not respond except "I'm at work, I'll get back to you". Again, if anyone knows where this is, please message me. As a family member, purchasing would not fall in the stolen valor act for me. He was the reason that I became a Boatswain's Mate, a Chief Petty Officer and retired at 24-years!! My family and I would really like this.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this Purple Heart? I would like to purchase it, as I am his Grandson by marriage. It is disturbing that after his daughter posted, there was no attempted contact with her. I asked the original who posted, if there were any others from him, as his family would want them. Not even getting into the stolen valor act, it is just wrong that someone who knows that this purple heart that is desired by HIS FAMILY would still not respond except "I'm at work, I'll get back to you". Again, if anyone knows where this is, please message me. As a family member, purchasing would not fall in the stolen valor act for me. He was the reason that I became a Boatswain's Mate, a Chief Petty Officer and retired at 24-years!! My family and I would really like this.

Yeah, I'm sure with an attitude like that people will be blowing up your in-box trying to help you. Plus, your "expert" analysis of the SVA is so far out in left field, it's not even funny. Good luck dude :thumbdown:

I own this bar and have been in contact with the family. He is a decent guy, and just wants to get the medals back in the family. He and I have come to an agreement and the medals will be going back to them.

Kurt

I own this bar and have been in contact with the family. He is a decent guy, and just wants to get the medals back in the family. He and I have come to an agreement and the medals will be going back to them.

Kurt

This is what I admire about being associated with members of this group. Their commitment to doing the right thing is at time overwhelming. Good job Kurt :thumbsup:

Kurt

It is great to hear this is going back into the family. One day I hope my great grandfathers stuff will show up here.

This is what I admire about being associated with members of this group. Their commitment to doing the right thing is at time overwhelming. Good job Kurt :thumbsup:

What is "the right thing" exactly??? That's a pretty sweeping statement... And implies a lot on what "the wrong thing" may be...

I was recently contacted about an item by a family member of the original owner, the contact was initiated through this very forum, and for a very unique, one of a kind type item. I was under no obligation to respond but did so - and received a very discourteous NO RESPONSE from this family member.

So that again leads me to the question of exactly what "the right thing" is and what it is not? There is no obligation to even contact someone about such thing, let alone some obligation to let someone have something "back"... Lots of things are legitimately sold by rightful owners and heirs - and others are not often happy about that fact. I know this discussion has been had several times before, but I guess I don't likw the opposite implication in this or other cases.

MW

What is "the right thing" exactly??? That's a pretty sweeping statement... And implies a lot on what "the wrong thing" may be...

I was recently contacted about an item by a family member of the original owner, the contact was initiated through this very forum, and for a very unique, one of a kind type item. I was under no obligation to respond but did so - and received a very discourteous NO RESPONSE from this family member.

So that again leads me to the question of exactly what "the right thing" is and what it is not? There is no obligation to even contact someone about such thing, let alone some obligation to let someone have something "back"... Lots of things are legitimately sold by rightful owners and heirs - and others are not often happy about that fact. I know this discussion has been had several times before, but I guess I don't likw the opposite implication in this or other cases.

MW

I did not intend my comment to become some form of philosophical debate of right vs. wrong. Maybe "right thing" was a wrong choice of words and too subjective. Kurt said the guy was “decent guy and just wanted the get the medals back in the family”. OK, to rephrase, I think that was the "kind" thing do in that circumstance. I know several members of the forum who have conducted themselves in a like manner and feel their actions should be appreciated. No judgement, just an acknowledgement of a kind action.

I've got no dog in this fight at all, but what amazed me or rather pi$$ed me off was the guy's attitude. I understand that this guy is not "really" a forum member, and that the only reason he probably signed up in the first place, was because he did a web search and just happen to stumble across a link to this forum and the medal in question. However, with that being said, I guess the best analogy I can use would be moving into a new neighborhood and introducing yourself that way to your new neighbors ??? I mean really, who does that ??? If it was me, and I had the medal, there is no way in hell I would have even taken the time to acknowledge someone with an attitude like that. Let me get this straight, I've got something you want, and you really think you are going to get it by talking to me like that ??? Not in this world !!!

Also, all philosophy of right and wrong aside, I do understand both sides of the coin here. I know this discussion has been had many many times here, but it really all comes down to the individual who is in possession of said item. Even if this guy is a saint, I guess the thing that really gets me is the fact of the matter that his daughter posted and confirmed the info on her father, but didn't ask for the medal back (or if she did it was in private), and she especially didn't have that kind of attitude like "it's mine and I want it back right now". Also, just how far removed is a "grandson by marriage" anyway ??? That doesn't sound anywhere close to immediate family to me. It sounds like the postman's, third cousin's, acquaintance of a family friend. Like I said initially, I've got no dog in this fight, but attitude goes a LONG way in my book...

I've got no dog in this fight at all, but what amazed me or rather pi$$ed me off was the guy's attitude. I understand that this guy is not "really" a forum member, and that the only reason he probably signed up in the first place, was because he did a web search and just happen to stumble across a link to this forum and the medal in question. However, with that being said, I guess the best analogy I can use would be moving into a new neighborhood and introducing yourself that way to your new neighbors ??? I mean really, who does that ??? If it was me, and I had the medal, there is no way in hell I would have even taken the time to acknowledge someone with an attitude like that. Let me get this straight, I've got something you want, and you really think you are going to get it by talking to me like that ??? Not in this world !!!

Also, all philosophy of right and wrong aside, I do understand both sides of the coin here. I know this discussion has been had many many times here, but it really all comes down to the individual who is in possession of said item. Even if this guy is a saint, I guess the thing that really gets me is the fact of the matter that his daughter posted and confirmed the info on her father, but didn't ask for the medal back (or if she did it was in private), and she especially didn't have that kind of attitude like "it's mine and I want it back right now". Also, just how far removed is a "grandson by marriage" anyway ??? That doesn't sound anywhere close to immediate family to me. It sounds like the postman's, third cousin's, acquaintance of a family friend. Like I said initially, I've got no dog in this fight, but attitude goes a LONG way in my book...

:thumbsup: I agree with you ! the attitude ?? And lets get the SVA involved !!! I have had a few relatives contact me in the past about medals and 4 out of 5 times they get nuts and want something for nothing !

:thumbsup: I agree with you ! the attitude ?? And lets get the SVA involved !!! I have had a few relatives contact me in the past about medals and 4 out of 5 times they get nuts and want something for nothing !

That post struck me the same as some of you. It seemed to have a lot of "attitude" in it and sort of demanding it be returned. I would assume that the man's daughter would have brought up the subject if she wanted it back and the fact remains that someone in the family gave it up to begin with. Being married to the grand daughter doesn't, to me anyway, give him some automatic right to have it. Maybe he didn't intend his post the way it sounded. Anyway, it is a decent thing to do for Kurt to arrange the return.

We can debate this forever... bottom line is he is married to the Grand-daughter, I read between the lines in his email, and decided to contact him. We communicated back and forth and He is going to buy the medals for what I paid for them. There was NO arm twisting or attitude on his part in my emails with him.

I think its time to stop beating a dead horse on this and move on.

Kurt

What daniel.haase forgot to mention is that I had e-mailed him back in August 2011 and told him I no longer owned the medals. I assumed that he would have passed that message on to his family. I think his post was inappropriate. What I find interesting is that the person I bought the medals from said he purchased them from a family member not to long before I got them. I'm glad that the family got them back, I just hope they hold on to them.

We can debate this forever... bottom line is he is married to the Grand-daughter, I read between the lines in his email, and decided to contact him. We communicated back and forth and He is going to buy the medals for what I paid for them. There was NO arm twisting or attitude on his part in my emails with him.

I think its time to stop beating a dead horse on this and move on.

Kurt

But it IS worthy of debate in light of some of the comments made here in this thread, I don't see it as beating a dead horse at all.

In the two cases I have personally had where someone wanted what I had posted about, it was very similar to this one - almost a demand it felt like, then when the discussion started, and was not necessarily me falling all over myself to send them what they wanted, they just did not even do the courtesy of a follow up response... one was a "collector" in the same geographic area, the other someone purporting to be a relative.

Unfortunately this very type of thread / posts will undoubtedly probably keep popping up as long as names are named / spelled out in threads and people can Google search them. I learned my lesson not to do that anymore - for the aforementioned reasons - to personally avoid this scenario at all in the future.

MW

• 3 weeks later...
daniel.haase

I want to publicly state HOW AWESOME KASTAUFFER IS!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for returning these medals to his family!!!!!! I know in messages I have said "thank you" at least a couple dozen times, but it is not enough!! Thank you so very much for caring enough to get them to us!

I do want to state that there were communications completed in message that I have kept, that were private, even though some promote a misrepresentation of what actually happened.

This is a very intriguing debate, and Kastauffer did let me know immediately that I misinterpreted the Stolen Valor Act. I apologize if I offended anyone in suggesting that it applied.

Kastauffer, if ever you need anything from out this way, please don't hesitate to contact me. Best wishes!