Ladies of the G.A.R. Past President badges

KevinBeyer

Hello, All,

I thought I would share with you some of the Ladies of the G.A.R. Past President badges that I have in my collection. Each of them have come from different L.G.A.R. circles. I like them for their variety and for their basic eye appeal. One could make collecting these badges a main focus of their collecting interests. I thought I would give it a go, but their prices have risen in recent years and it started to eat into my other collecting interests. Does anyone have examples in their own collection?

Kevin

LGARPastPresWithPin.jpg

LGARPastPresPearlBeck.jpg

LGARPastPresRuthKeegan.jpg

• 7 months later...
KevinBeyer

Here are a few more examples of the various types of Ladies of the G.A.R. past president badges.

LGARPastPresKatharineAppel.jpg

LGARPastPresLRoberts.jpg

LGARPastPresTypeI.jpg

I believe this last badge to be the standard for modern presentation. I have seen several examples of this type. They are normally found unattributed and are definitely of lower quality when compared to its predecessors.

Kevin

Have not seen this many LGAR past officer badges before. Have several from the Women's Relief Corps, but most LGAR badges are getting costly. Suspect some of the badges are jeweler made presentation pieces, a common practice at the time, but also believe the national organization sold similar items.

Thanks for sharing these! Very nice pieces!

These pieces really look expensive for their time. Any idea how much (at the time) these would normally run? I bet comparison wise to buying power, these would take a lot of money out of a household.

Thanks for sharing these! Very nice pieces!

These pieces really look expensive for their time. Any idea how much (at the time) these would normally run? I bet comparison wise to buying power, these would take a lot of money out of a household.

I don't know what one would be charged upon the original purchase. I would tend to believe that these badges were presented to an outgoing officer and purchased by the individual circle. With a decent sized membership the cost could be defrayed down to a reasonable per person amount. At least that is my theory.

Kevin

I don't know what one would be charged upon the original purchase. I would tend to believe that these badges were presented to an outgoing officer and purchased by the individual circle. With a decent sized membership the cost could be defrayed down to a reasonable per person amount. At least that is my theory.

Kevin

Kevin,

I suspect you are correct about the gold badges being awarded/presented by the local organization when the President stepped down. That seems to be the standard practice for most of these organizations. Very nice pieces!