For all who love Marine Corps EGA Insignia, or Corps Devices. I am working on my reference part time, I have a written outline, and am photographing my collection and editing photos now. Will do 1868 to modern. I have attached some photos for your review. No promises on timeline. No publisher as of yet. Planning on color photos with fronts and backs, debating on including unpublished photos of EGAs in wear.

Ideas are welcome. Discussion encouraged as to what you would like to see.

S/F,
Mike

post-22-0-66418400-1400102283.jpg

post-22-0-52485800-1400102285.jpg

post-22-0-82444500-1400102289.jpg

post-22-0-51159300-1400102290.jpg

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.
info@eagleglobeandanchor.com
My website:www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

For all who love Marine Corps EGA Insignia, or Corps Devices. I am working on my reference part time, I have a written outline, and am photographing my collection and editing photos now. Will do 1868 to modern. I have attached some photos for your review. No promises on timeline. No publisher as of yet. Planning on color photos with fronts and backs, debating on including unpublished photos of EGAs in wear.

Ideas are welcome. Discussion encouraged as to what you would like to see.

S/F,

Mike

1914DRESSGAUNTHAT2.jpg

1914DRESSGAUNTHATBACK2.jpg

IMG_03742.jpg

IMG_03172.jpg

Sound's like a very worthwhile indeavor. No ideas from me although, i'll leave that to the pro,s we have out here in forumland.

Mike-

My archive is open for you to peruse through anytime for your book.

Alec

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

A1C Matthew Seidler, Delta Company, 466th EOD killed in action. 05 Jan 12 at 1600L while conducting mounted route clearance patrols in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He turned 24 two days before his death. Cousin, Soldier, Hero.

Same here on my photo archives....I'll want to buy this one as soon as it is published.

Always looking for items associated with the China Marines! Visit chinamarine.org

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I'm afraid I have nothing material to contribute Mike, but best of luck on your endeavour. I'll be waiting in line to buy a copy when it's finished.

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Mike, best of luck in your endeavor - I know all of us will support & provide you with whatever you need to pull this off.

I will offer the following thought's, absent any one else offering ideas at this point in time. In developing the premise for your work, consider keeping it simple as possible from the get, as once you have launched the project it will take on increasingly deeper work, research, and photographic proportions. Launching with a complex and detailed premise for this work, might take you down the road Driscoll's took with his work. As you know, when searching thru his publication, one can have 4 - 5 pages tabbed before finding the matter at hand. That is especially so when reading in one paragraph of to find yourself searching three pages away for the picture he refers to. That is especially frustrating and has seen that frustration in so many others I have sent the PDF to, only to end up helping them sort thru that issue.

This issue is particularly aggravating to the novice - advanced as well, as it relates to both "era and transitional" emblems. Right or wrong... those of us who worked to put the reference section up chose to follow his work as a guideline for study. As in all such projects, we worked from what was known and what worked simply, in the context of how an online forum works. There will be a point in time when it may be needed to reformat. I for one, think this not the time. I add these thoughts as should be aware that any format you launch with may very well trap you, for the entire format of your book. Again, the stiff format of the reference section has worked to the forums advantage and disadvantage. And were I you, it would not be the premise or format I would choose to do a book.

I especially like the format & forward used by Curton & Sullivan in the Civil War uniform book. It flows very well and takes you thru the period of development and usage with supporting text and thorough very detailed descriptions of the photographs and artifacts. Others have used this format to success; theirs was a home run. With brings me to pondering how I would think others see the chapters of the book structured. In thinking of the past fours years here and the body of work we have created, a draw back has been (let us take Officer Cover emblems) they are literally spread over half of the sub forums in the ref. sec. That is very hard for someone who is not knowledgeable about emblems to find and or figure out what they are looking for. I see many PM's on the matter – why can't I find this or that emblem. I think you will best be served by covering one area at a time per chapter. I would avoid mixing / matching, esp as it relates mixing to Officer and Enlisted emblems, mixing hallmarks with non, that is one area we got right in the ref. sec. It can apply to all other category's of emblems, well knowing a chapter on enlisted collar disc's will be far different than that on WW2 Econo emblems.

Having heard Fred's book will be going to the printer this summer, you might pick-up some ideas upon hearing reviews, it might be worth the wait (if indeed that is true) while you work on photo's. These photo's, IMHO opinion are a make or break deal and may be why Orgel's work is seldom used or referred to (aside from other matters). Your photo's need to be better than good – they need to be great. Little postage stamp sizes will not work, IMHO a 3x3 image minimum and limiting shadowing of details is imperative. I've rambled on enough for this post, hopefully others will add. In closing, for every 10 minutes you spending developing the premise of this work you will save an hour producing the book. Best of luck…!

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I'm afraid I have nothing material to contribute Mike, but best of luck on your endeavour. I'll be waiting in line to buy a copy when it's finished.

Will

Me too! Count me in line for a copy as well!

....Kat

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

My favorite reference book series is The Iron Time books by Steve Previtera. Yes, I am well aware that they are about German decorations, but they are GORGEOUS. Not just a little gorgeous, but REALLY REALLY gorgeous! I like them and I don't even collect German stuff! To me, that's a home run...when people buy your books simply because they like to look through them and learn about the items, even if it's not something they collect or are really interested in.

What makes these books so appealing is 1) the overall quality and 2) the awesome quality of his photographs and photo editing, which he did the vast majority of. NOTHING is worse in a reference book than seeing cut-rate photos. Yeah, I know that you can still learn stuff from them, but at the same time, I love the eye candy that gets presented well by really great photography and photo editing. I know that some may argue that having some photos are better than none, and I agree...but the higher quality you can make the book, the more copies will sell, and, in turn, hopefully cover your costs associated with writing the book (and maybe even make a few ducks for you on the side!!!)

Having authored a book and a number of manuscripts before, I can tell you that it takes a LOT of time to put a book together. I've had offers to write several others on items in my collection, but just never had the time. They are truly a labor of love...just make sure you have the time to do it right and we'll all benefit from it.

I don't collect EGAs, but if you're putting together a quality book, I'll be in line to buy one!!!

Dave

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

My favorite reference book series is The Iron Time books by Steve Previtera. Yes, I am well aware that they are about German decorations, but they are GORGEOUS. Not just a little gorgeous, but REALLY REALLY gorgeous! I like them and I don't even collect German stuff! To me, that's a home run...when people buy your books simply because they like to look through them and learn about the items, even if it's not something they collect or are really interested in.

What makes these books so appealing is 1) the overall quality and 2) the awesome quality of his photographs and photo editing, which he did the vast majority of. NOTHING is worse in a reference book than seeing cut-rate photos. Yeah, I know that you can still learn stuff from them, but at the same time, I love the eye candy that gets presented well by really great photography and photo editing. I know that some may argue that having some photos are better than none, and I agree...but the higher quality you can make the book, the more copies will sell, and, in turn, hopefully cover your costs associated with writing the book (and maybe even make a few ducks for you on the side!!!)

Having authored a book and a number of manuscripts before, I can tell you that it takes a LOT of time to put a book together. I've had offers to write several others on items in my collection, but just never had the time. They are truly a labor of love...just make sure you have the time to do it right and we'll all benefit from it.

I don't collect EGAs, but if you're putting together a quality book, I'll be in line to buy one!!!

Dave

Your right there. do you have prussian blue the companion to iron time also by previtera. The cover alone is striking blue.

HALLELUJAH!!! Great news, Mike, best of luck in your efforts, looking forward to seeing it!

Semper,

Ski

Captain (LDO), United States Marine Corps (Ret.)

1992-2014

6531/6591/6502/8511

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Always looking for WWII USMC and Corpsman items!

Excellent! Will it be based on your personal collection or will other collectors be included? jeff

I do have a few "holes" where I will need to lean on others for help, but mainly it will be my collection. I have contacted a few from the Forum for their support.

S/F,

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

Mike, best of luck in your endeavor - I know all of us will support & provide you with whatever you need to pull this off.......

.....Your photo's need to be better than good – they need to be great. Little postage stamp sizes will not work, IMHO a 3x3 image minimum and limiting shadowing of details is imperative. I've rambled on enough for this post, hopefully others will add. In closing, for every 10 minutes you spending developing the premise of this work you will save an hour producing the book. Best of luck…!

Darrell,

Much appreciated thoughts, you have given me a great deal to ponder. I am of the same opinion as to photos of EGAs in wear, they need to clearly show the version being discussed. You know me, I have never liked the labeling of "pattern" or "model", based off of the regulations, on EGAs. I find the regulations quite useless, beyond that of the very early, and modern years. I am thinking of breaking insignia into known eras of wear and making best determination of their age based off of construction, material, photographic proof and of course this collector's opinion. Each era would briefly open with a small description of the era and general attributes. Individual pieces would be identifed with a one to two sentence description and anything that makes the piece unique. Maker's marks would only show some of the "more common" variation of those specific versions that display a wide variety of makers. I am not planning on giving modern EGAs much attention.

S/F,

Mike

Mike Manifor
Top dollar paid.

My hat's off to you for tackling such a huge endeavor, and one that obviously is a passion of yours.

I agree with what Darrell made points on in his post. A simple, logical flow to the writing and tying in with photos of the quality you posted above will certainly make a beautiful and useful book.

About the only thing I can add is don't get discouraged or rushed with it. I think the more time you take the better it will be.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Actively seeking WW1 4th and 5th Brigade USMC helmets and also a named WW2 Raider green blouse.
I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail, if I could I surely would....

Thanks for the posts everyone. I have held out showing many of the EGAs and photos in my collection for the sole purpose of someday doing a book, I know a lot of you despise me for it. When and if it does hit the street, I want it to be fresh, new material.

The more I see your posts, the more motivated I get.

Alec Tulkoff called me about a month ago and really got me thinking with his comments about a book, so thank you Alec.

S/F,

Mike

Mike Manifor
Top dollar paid.

Thanks for the posts everyone. I have held out showing many of the EGAs and photos in my collection for the sole purpose of someday doing a book, I know a lot of you despise me for it. When and if it does hit the street, I want it to be fresh, new material.

The more I see your posts, the more motivated I get.

Alec Tulkoff called me about a month ago and really got me thinking with his comments about a book, so thank you Alec.

S/F,

Mike

Your welcome, now stop wasting time on the forum and get writing. :lol: I am compiling a large PDF file for you of relevant EGA related documents. A lot to digest and it may change your mind about certain EGA evolution.

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

A1C Matthew Seidler, Delta Company, 466th EOD killed in action. 05 Jan 12 at 1600L while conducting mounted route clearance patrols in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He turned 24 two days before his death. Cousin, Soldier, Hero.

Mike,

I can't tell you how much a definitive reference for EGA's is needed and much desired. I, for one, have no real feel for what emblem is correct for the period and the sometime subtle differences between the earlier emblems and those of the 1920's-30's. Since my interests pertain to WW1 USMC uniform groupings, your book would go a long way in assisting in the validation of an original uniform. You certainly have my support in this huge endeavor. Get to it!

Your Friend,

Dennis

"RETREAT HELL.....WE JUST GOT HERE"

LOOKING TO PURCHASE IDENTIFIED WW1 AVIATION GROUPINGS, INCLUDING MEDALS, UNIFORMS, STUDIO PHOTOS.

PURCHASE ANY AND ALL ID'ED WW1 NAVY CORPSMAN OR PHYSICIAN GROUPINGS; MEDALS &/or UNIFORMS.

WW1 USMC ID'ED OFFICER'S GROUPS, esp. MARINE AVIATORS -

ANY LARGE FORMAT 5X7 OR LARGER IMAGES OF MARINE OFFICERS & AERO PILOTS

Collecting/Preserving/Researching WW1 Marine Corps Items and WW1 Aviation Items

Good news, Mike. I'm certainly willing to share any items from my collection and info with you. Let me know what holes you may have! Semper Fi.......Non

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

pretty sure I don't have any patches for those holes, but am looking forward to seeing the book in print.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Mike

Congrat on your project we're all waiting for a great book about EGA's,

you should consider a small section of your book about repros....

Will

Will,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did definately think about it. I have not invested a dime into buying repos, they are junk to me. I look at it like this.. if the book covers only authentic pieces... then it answers the mail to what is "right".

S/F,

Mike

Mike Manifor
Top dollar paid.

Mike,

Best of luck brother. I will be in line for a copy as well.

S/F

John

Wanted: USMC Helicopter related items

Collector of Marine Corps Helicopter / Rotary aviation items from the late 1940s to present

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 2 months later...

Just drove across country and will check in next week (Yucca Valley, CA to Milton, FL[near Pensacola]).

In the spirit of that drive with my three kids....Is it done yet? are we almost there? How much longer? are we there yet....

Mike,

I know this is one of those "I got it" projects, but if you do find a hole in your refrence photos, some of us with more modest EGA Collections, do have some Gems. Also I know you have stayed generally stayed away from the More common / current EGAs. If you are looking for variations of these, I can get you lots of photos. Please don't hesitate to ask for anything from me in particular or the forum in general. We are more than happy to help with refrence photos of our own EGAs. I will leave the "How" or "if" you will do that up to you. I can send you a couple photos of some ODD ball stuff if you would like once I unpack.

S/F

John

Wanted: USMC Helicopter related items

Collector of Marine Corps Helicopter / Rotary aviation items from the late 1940s to present

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Just drove across country and will check in next week (Yucca Valley, CA to Milton, FL[near Pensacola]).

In the spirit of that drive with my three kids....Is it done yet? are we almost there? How much longer? are we there yet....

Mike,

I know this is one of those "I got it" projects, but if you do find a hole in your refrence photos, some of us with more modest EGA Collections, do have some Gems. Also I know you have stayed generally stayed away from the More common / current EGAs. If you are looking for variations of these, I can get you lots of photos. Please don't hesitate to ask for anything from me in particular or the forum in general. We are more than happy to help with refrence photos of our own EGAs. I will leave the "How" or "if" you will do that up to you. I can send you a couple photos of some ODD ball stuff if you would like once I unpack.

S/F

John

Thanks John. I will need help. I have already solicited some forum members for some of their rare EGAs. It is definately a back burner project, 1st priority is my current billet. Hopefully I will have some time this Winter. Drop me a PM, I will hook you up with my Pensacola militaria connections and Naval Aviation Museum buddies. You are going to a good town for flight related stuff, you will find stuff if you pound the pavement in that town. I cleaned house when stationed there as a flightstud. Have fun. I went through the Maintenance Officer course there last year and stayed at Fort Walton, brought back many memories. You will have fun there dodging all of the thunderstorms. Are you in a flying billet?

S/F,

Mike

Mike Manifor
Top dollar paid.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.