USMC "War Dog Platoon" Short Snorter!

siege1863

I have been watching this item for a couple of weeks, trying to decide if it was worth purchasing. Initially, I had no success in identifying the unit or any of the men. However, I finally made a breakthrough with one name--Robert E. Greenwood. A 1944 newspaper article mentioned he was training with the Marines' "War Dog Training Company" at Camp Lejeune. A follow-up article said he was part of the demonstration given for President Roosevelt who was visiting the camp.

Upon making a search for the Marine Corps' war dog training program and later formation of war dog platoons, I was directed to Google Books, where I read select pages from "Always Faithful" by William Putney. There, I discovered many of the names on the "short snorter." Further Google searches provided a number of additional names. The best I can determine, these men were part of the "2nd Marine War Dog Platoon" which served on Guam, Saipan, the Marshall Islands, and Okinawa.

Unfortunately, the quality of the scans that I have to work with will not allow reading of most of the signatures. Once I receive the note I will be able to make high-res scans. I have also ordered a copy of Puyney's book. There are MANY photos of these handlers and their dogs, and interviews on the Internet.

The signers I have so far been able to positively identify to the "war dogs" are:

Keith Schaible

Ben Dickerson

Fred Voight

Tony Lubbers

James E. Brooker

Lawrence Schurz

Marvin "Snuffy" Corff

Thurman Clark

Richard Reinauer

Orlando Maiorana

Robert E. Greenwood

Earl H. Wright

So what do you guys think!

post-211-1306081062.jpg

post-211-1306081086.jpg

Here is the 2nd Marine War Dog Platoon. Too bad the men are not individually identified. It would be interesting to see how many in the photo signed the note.

post-211-1306109374.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

This is too cool, its amazing what these dogs and their handlers did. Good detective work!

Haydn

jkash23686

Great find! There was a show on the Military channel about War Dogs of the Pacific and what it took to train them and them and what they and their handlers when though. Its a great show if you can find it.

Corpsmancollector

Fantastic photos and I really like the bank note. Was it an eBay score? I have a copy of Putney's book but have not read it yet, this topic has certainly enthused me to do so!

Will

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Seige 1863. A few days ago I did a Goggle search on my Dads name and this site came up. He is one that is listed on your letter and has signed the note. I contacted him and also printed copies of the note to show him, I also printed the pictures of the group and will take it to him to see if he can name the men in it, My Dad, James is now 91 and sharp as a tack, He has an outstanding memory and loves to talk about the men he served with. I have had the honor of meeting most of the 2nd Div. War Dog owners at a few of their reunions. I was 16 at that time and am now 56. There were approximately 50 of them then, Sad to say there are only 4 left. Anything I can do to keep the legacy of these men alive, let me know and I will do my all and I'm positive my Dad will also.

MarkB

Hi Seige 1863. A few days ago I did a Goggle search on my Dads name and this site came up. He is one that is listed on your letter and has signed the note. I contacted him and also printed copies of the note to show him, I also printed the pictures of the group and will take it to him to see if he can name the men in it, My Dad, James is now 91 and sharp as a tack, He has an outstanding memory and loves to talk about the men he served with. I have had the honor of meeting most of the 2nd Div. War Dog owners at a few of their reunions. I was 16 at that time and am now 56. There were approximately 50 of them then, Sad to say there are only 4 left. Anything I can do to keep the legacy of these men alive, let me know and I will do my all and I'm positive my Dad will also.

MarkB

MarkB---

PM me with your email address and I will send you high-res scans of the note. I also have a complete list of the signers. I was able to identify the men using the Marine Corps muster rolls found on Ancestry.com.

---Mike