Can You Recognize And Name These Famous Mystery Veterans?

carbinephalen

My congratulations for your comprehensive posting regarding WW II and the Hollywood Stars who participated in that effort. It is a most interesting exhibit, took a lot of work and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I knew about most of these fellows and the sacrifice they made but your display made it that much more interesting.

Thank you for taking the time to present sucn an interesting and riveting display.

Another one,

In 1961, he was arrested for stealing a car. The judge gave him two choices; go to jail or serve in the army. He was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. He was not cut out to be a soldier. He often fell asleep on duty or tried to get kicked out. in 1962 after his 26th jump, he was discharged for a broken ankle.

post-51120-1339879941.jpg

bronxboymike

This would be the great Jimmy Hendricks.

Another one,

In 1961, he was arrested for stealing a car. The judge gave him two choices; go to jail or serve in the army. He was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. He was not cut out to be a soldier. He often fell asleep on duty or tried to get kicked out. in 1962 after his 26th jump, he was discharged for a broken ankle.

Manchu Warrior
Quite a few of Hollywood's best known faces from "the greatest generation" did their bit in WW2. Here are a few more, but by no means a definitive list and some better known than others.

Ronald Reagan - Captain, US Army Air Corps. Because of a severe hearing loss, he was not allowed any flying duties. However, he appeared in training films. Prior to the war, he was a cavalry officer in the Nebraska National Guard.

Wasn't it Regan's bad eyesight that prevented him from going overseas?

Here's a nice shot of Cosby in uniform! enlistees-bill-cosby-sized.jpg

You know I was wondering about this shot of him. So I looked around and found this.

QUOTE:

Mr. Cosby was recognized by Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Rick West as an honorary chief petty officer on 17 February 2011 in a ceremony held at the US Navy Memorial and Naval Heritage Center.

This cost is then legit, note the rate is Hospital Corpsman, Cosby servied in this MOS when he was in from 1956 to 1961. The Navy also gave him an additional 7 years so he could qualify for the minimum 12 years Gold Rating Badge and Hashmarks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bronxboymike

That would be the great Joltin Joe Dimaggio

Anyone recognize this 7th Air Force guy on the left?

vostoktrading

These two guys were both in the Air Force during WW2; one "ours" and the other "theirs".

Years later they would appear together in a classic Western called "Red Sun".

Who are these two actors?

post-7885-1339899231.jpg

post-7885-1339899253.jpg

I recognized Charles Bronson.

I cheated with a search for Toshirō Mifune.

P.S. Great Thread!

vostoktrading
I recognized Charles Bronson.

I cheated with a search for Toshirō Mifune.

P.S. Great Thread!

Correct! Bronson served as a tail gunner on 25 missions over Japan and was injured by flak & received a Purple Heart Medal.

Mifune was in the Japanese Army Airforce.

vostoktrading
That would be the great Joltin Joe Dimaggio

Correct! Joe DiMaggio, one of the greats of Baseball.

vostoktrading
These two guys were both in the Air Force during WW2; one "ours" and the other "theirs".

Years later they would appear together in a classic Western called "Red Sun".

Who are these two actors?

Charles Bronson, Toshiro Mifune, Usula Andress & Alain Delon. Red Sun 1971.

post-7885-1339930151.jpg

post-7885-1339930174.jpg

I didn't this one yet-

Joined the U.S. Army and achieved the rank of Captain. He became a helicopter pilot after receiving flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama. He also completed Ranger School. During the early 1960s, he was stationed in West Germany as a member of the 8th Infantry Division.

post-88745-1339978379.jpg

Here's another.

post-8022-1339914286.jpg

Lt Bush is wearing pilot wings and the ribbons for the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award and the Air Force Markmanship Ribbon. Great thread!

Pete

I didn't this one yet-

Joined the U.S. Army and achieved the rank of Captain. He became a helicopter pilot after receiving flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama. He also completed Ranger School. During the early 1960s, he was stationed in West Germany as a member of the 8th Infantry Division.

That wouldn,t be Kris Kristofferson would it ?

BINGO! Nice work Patches!

You know I seen another photo of him when he was in the Army possably in one of those Stars in Uniform books, here it was a rather candid shot if I can recall with him as an officer in his Class A uniform, no headgear on. I will look around to see if I find it.

Manchu Warrior

This is a photograph that I actually own and when you figure out who it is I will give you the story. And I am not not giving you any hints and you won't get any long counts to try to figure out who this veteran happens to be.

post-1412-1340037449.jpg