Can You Recognize And Name These Famous Mystery Veterans?

carbinephalen

Not Hornung,#66 Ray Nitschki

TA DA finally, yes Nitschke of the Packers.

post-34986-0-96889100-1443403980.jpg

From what I can see, he was interestingly not a National Guardsman but like Hornung a Reservist, and was activated, but unlike Hornung was detached from his unit (unit unknown) sent as a filler to 32nd Division Quartermaster Company, 32nd Infantry division, I actually got the 32nd Inf Div unit yearbook he's in.

post-34986-0-14466700-1443403968.jpg

Great site of the 1961-62 Red Arrow Division, you'll see quite a few pro ball players were in the Red Arrow Div.

http://www.32nd-division.org/history/berlin-crisis/32-bc%282%29.html

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Spencer Sutton was born October 23, 1923 in Clarksville, Tennessee. He is best known for his portrayal of Sgt. Carter on Gomer Pyle.

His father was a linotype operator for the Nashville Tennessean and died, when his son Frank was 14 years old.

Sutton tried to join the Marines, but was turned down for failing to pass the physical, because one arm was bent too far back at the elbow.

However, he was able to join the Army and participated in 14 assault landings, including those at Leyte, Luzon and Corregidor during World War II.

https://nostalgia049.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/sgt-carter-actor-frank-sutton-not-good-enough-for-marines/

post-1885-0-20977700-1444367733.jpg

post-1885-0-04576500-1444367743.jpg

Frank Spencer Sutton was born October 23, 1923 in Clarksville, Tennessee. He is best known for his portrayal of Sgt. Carter on Gomer Pyle.

His father was a linotype operator for the Nashville Tennessean and died, when his son Frank was 14 years old.

Sutton tried to join the Marines, but was turned down for failing to pass the physical, because one arm was bent too far back at the elbow.

However, he was able to join the Army and participated in 14 assault landings, including those at Leyte, Luzon and Corregidor during World War II.

https://nostalgia049.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/sgt-carter-actor-frank-sutton-not-good-enough-for-marines/

Was able to find this on his Wartime unit, either in the Signal Company of the 6th Inf Div, or a Signal unit attached to the 6th Inf Div. I say this However because the one unit listed, the 293rd Joint Assault Signal Company as his unit during the PI Operations must be wrong, as this unit was in the ETO. So on the bottom near Sutton's photo, gives the 293rd JASCO as his last unit apparently before discharge, perhaps then the 293rd JASCO was shipped out to the Pacific post V-E Day.

http://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApps?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=372583

Wow someone finally found and posted Don Adams WWII Marine Corps mug shot, 1942. It's the very first time, for me at least, that I'm seeing it, as I looked around once and awhile over the years for a Marine Corps photo of any kind of him.

post-34986-0-92470800-1444961644.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-88285400-1447963255.jpg

Here's one I just discovered, never knew this, who is he? I know now.... do you? He fought in one of the most epic battles in USMC history. He then went to Hollywood and stared in a epic WWII movie, one of the greats, one made right after the war ended.

I just found this out by accident, so thought I'd post here. Couldn't find a service photo online. Can anyone recognize him? (I hope this one hasn't already been done).

He was drafted into the United States Army in 1970 and trained as a medic. He was stationed in West Germany.

Most well known for playing as an actor in a famous TV series.

post-93633-0-69364000-1447977748.jpg

attachicon.gif15052738_125723653403.jpg

Here's one I just discovered, never knew this, who is he? I know now.... do you? He fought in one of the most epic battles in USMC history. He then went to Hollywood and stared in a epic WWII movie, one of the greats, one made right after the war ended.

Carried a Thompson in "A Walk in the Sun" (which must have been after being in Carlsons raiders

also in Battleground

Operation Pacific

Halls of Montezuma

Flying Leathernecks

and

Them

actor Harvey Keitel born in Brooklyn, NY

Served in the U.S. Marines. He was sent to Lebanon in 1958 during a U.S. military intervention aimed at defusing a major political crisis there.

post-1885-0-04205500-1448004991.jpg

actor Harvey Keitel born in Brooklyn, NY

Served in the U.S. Marines. He was sent to Lebanon in 1958 during a U.S. military intervention aimed at defusing a major political crisis there.

A bit overblown and blurry, an online find? At any rate, that's the first service foto I ever seen of Keitel, thanks BOLO.

A bit overblown and blurry, an online find? At any rate, that's the first service foto I ever seen of Keitel, thanks BOLO.

here's another service photo I found of Harvey Keitel

post-1885-0-64404300-1448046355.jpg

Here's another Hornung service foto, is he wearing a shoulder patch?

attachicon.gifphpYGRFp5PM.jpg

Ah ha, I think that's a 5th Army patch, 5th Army controlled Reserve units in Wisconsin in the 50s-70s.

attachicon.gifphpTsO6sqPM.jpg

my brother was activated also and was at Ft Riley while Hornung was there

my brother was activated also and was at Ft Riley while Hornung was there

What unit was he in, I see your from South Dakota, was it then a Reserve unit from there?

if you compare the eyes, notice the indentation on his eye socket? on the right, it seems to match up with his current photo, also his nose seems to match the photo

This is John J. Harrision BOLO.

post-34986-0-13098800-1448074817.jpgpost-34986-0-81053400-1448074803.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SD Nat Guard

Thanks, a different unit I take it! Seems more then a few Reserve support units from the Mid West, mostly I imagine Companies (Separate) were sent to Riley after activation.