Korean War and Vietnam War Army Aviator wings - Lt Col Charles Graft

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Here is a pair of wings that I have as part of a grouping / display. They belonged to Lt Co Charles Graft, US Army. He was a Korean War senior aviator (helos and light aircraft) and was a 1st Cav Division Helo pilot and Artillery officer during vietnam. The senior wings were actually worn by him when he commanded the 40th Division Aviation section in Korea 1953 - 1954

Pic 1, front of senior pilot wings

post-6492-1306019308.jpg

I usually only collect WW2 pieces but after seeing these I have to question that thinking. Those are gorgeous wings. Very nice and to have them attributed is even nicer. Thanks for posting.

Jack's Son

I have taken to collecting WWI Wings only.

Howerver, as "bschwartz" has stated, these are beatuiful wings in their own right. :thumbsup:

Very nice set of wings for Senior and Master Aviator. I guess I never paid any attention to the Army wings since I was around them for over 20 years. Attached are pic of a complete set of the army wings minus the Astronaut wing. All wings are sterling, clutch back.

Terry

post-6022-1306024868.jpg

John Cooper

Very nice... I for one would like to see more Korean and Vietnam era wings and things! (hint)

Cheers

John

Very nice... I for one would like to see more Korean and Vietnam era wings and things! (hint)

Cheers

John

John,

Nothing like the WW1 or WW2 wings but unique in their own right. The first set is my issue wings received when I graduated from Mother Rucker in 1968 and the second set are my Senior Aviator Wings. I obtained right at 1700 combat hours in my two tours in Vietnam. The wings appear a gold color due to the lighting when photographed, they are both sterling and still retain most of the frosting however the issue wings are not marked as such. I put them away and bought PX clutch back wings that so these would be preserved for the kids when I move along.

Terry

post-6022-1306204474.jpg

post-6022-1306204498.jpg

John Cooper

:thumbsup: Do you have period photos of you wearing these :rolleyes:

Cheers

John

BTW THANKS FOR POSTING!!!

Cheers

John

John,

I'm sure I have some around here somewhere, will see what I can find. If so will probably start a new thread, don't want to hijack this one. The only time I wore the wings issued in 68 were that day and while home on leave before going to RVN. After that I wore the clutch back wings bought in the PX.

Terry

There is a pretty good variety of post WWII wings that aren't getting much attention. I think some of them are quite scarce. From what I've seen, Balfour really made some nice pieces--no surprise there, but the post WWII were really blazers. There are others, too. If you take some time going through the USAF HQ portraits you see that a lot of post WWII senior officers wore bullion wings, not as many sterling as you might think, and essentially none after the late sixties. AMICO and Meyer appear to be well represented.

I'm thinking that the preference for bullion during the post WWII years found its start during WWII when the aircrews noticed the Brits wearing bullion and learned how easy they were to care for, relative to polishing sterling.

PS

Cheers

John

John,

The only pic I could find where you can see the wings is this one when I got promoted to 1st Lt in 1970 while an instructor at Ft. Wolters. These are the basic Army Aviator wing. The senior wings came a year later and the only picture I have of me in Class A uniform wearing the senior wing, the wing is covered by my lapel.

Terry

post-6022-1306293178.jpg

John Cooper

Super Terry thanks for posting! Now I will need some close ups of the ribbons and is that a jump wing I see... you are gonna have to post that as well ;)

Paul - I will have to dig out a nice bullion wing which was made post war and the backing fabric maybe a silver tan but I will have to check.

Cheers

John

Super Terry thanks for posting! Now I will need some close ups of the ribbons and is that a jump wing I see... you are gonna have to post that as well ;)

Paul - I will have to dig out a nice bullion wing which was made post war and the backing fabric maybe a silver tan but I will have to check.

Cheers

John

John,

This is the uniform I wore home from VN in 1972.

Terry

post-6022-1306332371.jpg

post-6022-1306332395.jpg

John,

This is the uniform I wore home from VN in 1972.

Terry

John,

One comment on the above. Being a career soldier I continued to wear the uniform on occasion and when I finally bought a new one and retired this one I set it up as it was when I left the 101st in 72 and wore it home. I say all this because I am sure many forum members will see the "Special Forces" tab and know that tab didn't come along until 83. Didn't have the heart to remove the tab. This uniformn will go to my son when I move along.

Terry

John Cooper

Terry thanks for posting this and the additional information and photos and most importantly for you service!

Cheers

John