B-17 Flying Fortress Conservation Work Begins

Saskatoon Light Infantry

Saskatoon Light Infantry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-13471334

B-17 Flying Fortress Conservation Work Begins.

A conservation team has begun a 16-month project to transform a World War II American bomber.

The B-17 Flying Fortress, Mary Alice, had been on display at the American Air Museum, part of Imperial War Museum (IWM) Duxford, in Cambridgeshire.

Conservators will carry out remedial anti-corrosion work and repaint the aeroplane.

The wings, propellers and engines had to be removed before the Mary Alice could be moved.

The Flying Fortress is the latest plane to join the museum's ongoing restoration project, Conservation in Action.

'Bit tired'

Chris Knapp, conservation manager at Imperial War Museum Duxford said: "We've carried out a condition survey on the B-17 Flying Fortress Mary Alice and found a few minor problems with corrosion and some popped rivets.

"The paintwork was looking a bit tired so some remedial work was needed."

He added: "It is impractical to do it in a public display area so the decision was made to dismantle the aircraft and take it to the conservation hangar where a more in-depth investigation will be carried out, corrosion problems treated, and a new coat of paint applied."

There are believed to be only 13 B-17 Flying Fortresses remaining, three of which are airworthy.

The heavy bombers were flown from bases in the UK by the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC), throughout the American participation in World War II.

post-8484-1305997640.jpg

I'll be back at Duxford for this year's "Flying Legends" warbirds event in early July. The workshops are always open to the public on display days, so if "Mary Alice" is still undergoing remedial work then, I'll take some pics and post an update.

Sabrejet

Keep track of airshows in your area. If you have the opportunity to take a ride in one of these planes, it's something you will NEVER forget!! It's well worth the expense as others who have had the privilege will attest to.

I was at work the other day and a B-17 flew over the institution. I pointed it out to one of the young guys there and he couldn't believe it. He just stood there with dropped jaw and watched until it was out of site. It's amazing how many people do not know there are a few airworthy planes left.

Yeah, it definately took a can opener to get it out of there for sure. I personally do not like the building it is housed in. It cost way too much and is too small for the aircraft being displayed. There is no expandability to it and tt is impossible to get a good camera shot of any of the aircraft. I wish they built some new hangers that matched the pre-war ones already there.....

-Ski

Saskatoon Light Infantry
Keep track of airshows in your area. If you have the opportunity to take a ride in one of these planes, it's something you will NEVER forget!! It's well worth the expense as others who have had the privilege will attest to.

I agree 100%. There were eight B-17s at the Thunder Over Michigan 2010 Air Show. There is something special about the sound and smell of their big radial engines.

post-8484-1306007258.jpg

Johan Willaert

You should have seen the atmosphere during filming of 'Memphis Belle' at Binbrook in 1989... Now that was amazing....

Cobrahistorian

Very cool! I just saw Tallichet's "Memphis Belle" yesterday, alongside "FiFi". Odd that the article says there are only 13 B-17s left and only 3 flying. Could they mean just in the UK? There are 14 flying last I checked and another handful on static display around the world.

Jon

It is nice to see another one restored. You can't have enough.

FYI,

You can take a flight on a B-17 at this years EAA in Oshkosh, WI for $440. The EAA owns it, so it is usely available every year to take a flight on.

Regards,Mitch

Very cool! I just saw Tallichet's "Memphis Belle" yesterday, alongside "FiFi". Odd that the article says there are only 13 B-17s left and only 3 flying. Could they mean just in the UK? There are 14 flying last I checked and another handful on static display around the world.

Jon

A recent bureaucratic (ie crazy!) change in the pan-European laws governing the insurance of vintage aircraft has meant that the only airworthy B-17 now flying the European circuit is the UK's famous "Sally B". The French-owned "Pink Lady" is now sadly permanently grounded. Each time "Sally B" takes to the air at Duxford she's a show-stopper...and long may she continue to be so!

http://www.sallyb.org.uk/

Sabrejet

Saskatoon Light Infantry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_survi...ying_Fortresses

Altogether 58 B-17s have survived and, as of January 2007, 12 airframes are currently in flying condition. There are at least another dozen airframes from various wrecks which could result in future restorations (including 2 known wartime B-17D wrecks).

List of surviving B-17 Flying Fortresses

Brazil

On display

B-17G (s/n 44-85583) is on display at Recife AB in Brazil.

Under restoration or in storage

B-17G (s/n 44-83718) is in storage at the Museu do FAB in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.

France

Airworthy

B-17G (s/n 44-8846) Pink Lady is airworthy and owned by Forteresse Toujours Volante in Paris, France.

Under restoration or in storage

B-17G (s/n 44-8899) is in storage at the Musee de l'Air in Paris, France.

United Kingdom

Airworthy

B-17G (G-BEDF) Sally B is airworthy and owned by Imperial War Museum in Duxford and painted as 124485.

On display

B-17G (s/n 44-83735) Mary Alice is on display at the American Air Museum in Duxford.

B-17G (s/n 44-83868) is on display at the Royal Air Force Museum London in Hendon.

United States

Airworthy

B-17F (s/n 42-29782) Boeing Bee is airworthy but stored at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Washington.

B-17G (s/n 44-8543) Chuckie is airworthy and owned by Training Services Inc. in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

B-17G (s/n 44-83514) Sentimental Journey is airworthy and owned by Commemorative Air Force in Midland, Texas.

B-17G (s/n 44-83546) Memphis Belle is airworthy and owned by the Military Aircraft Restoration Corp. in Anaheim, California.

B-17G (s/n 44-83563) Fuddy Duddy is airworthy and owned by Martin Aviation Inc. in Santa Ana, California.

B-17G (s/n 44-83575) Nine-O-Nine is airworthy and owned by the Collings Foundation in Stow, Massachusetts.

B-17G (s/n 44-83785) Evergreen International is airworthy and owned by Evergreen Vintage Aircraft Inc. in McMinnville, Oregon.

B-17G (s/n 44-83872) Texas Raiders is airworthy and owned by the Commemorative Air Force in Midland, Texas.

B-17G (s/n 44-85718) Thunderbird is airworthy and owned by the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas.

B-17G (s/n 44-85734) Liberty Belle is airworthy and owned by the Liberty Foundation Inc. in Kissimmee, Florida.

B-17G (s/n 44-85740) Aluminum Overcast is airworthy and owned by the Experimental Aircraft Association in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

B-17G (s/n 44-85778) Miss Angela is airworthy and owned by the Palm Springs Air Museum in Palm Springs, California.

B-17G (s/n 44-85829) Yankee Lady is airworthy and owned by the Yankee Air Force in Belleville, Michigan.

On display

B-17E (s/n 41-2446) Swamp Ghost is on display unrestored at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California.

B-17F (s/n 42-3374) Homesick Angel is on display at Offutt AFB, Nebraska.

B-17G (s/n 42-32076) Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby is on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio.

B-17G (s/n 43-38635) Virgin's Delight is on display at Castle AFB in California.

B-17G (s/n 44-6393) Return To Glory is on display at March AFB in California.

B-17G (s/n 44-83512) Heavens Above is on display at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Texas.

B-17G (s/n 44-83542) Piccadilly Princess is on display at the Fantasy of Flight Museum in Polk City, Florida.

B-17G (s/n 44-83559) King Bee is on display at the Strategic Air & Space Museum, Offutt AFB,

Nebraska.

B-17G (s/n 44-83624) Sleepy Time Gal is on display at the Air Mobility Command Museum, Dover AFB,

Delaware.

B-17G (s/n 44-83663) Short Bier is on display at Hill AFB, Utah.

B-17G (s/n 44-83690) Miss Liberty Belle is on display at the Grissom Air Museum in Peru, Indiana.

B-17G (s/n 44-83863) Gremlin's Hideout is on display at the Air Force Armament Museum, Eglin AFB,

Florida.

B-17G (s/n 44-83884) Yankee Doodle II is on display at the Eighth Air Force Museum, Barksdale AFB,

Louisiana.[34]

B-17G (s/n 44-85599) Reluctant Dragon is on display at Dyess AFB, Abilene, Texas.

B-17G (s/n 44-85738) Preston's Pride is on display at AMVETS Chapter 56 in Tulare, California.

B-17G (s/n 44-85790) Lacey Lady is on display at The Bomber Foundation in Milwaukee, Oregon.

B-17G (s/n 44-85828) I'll Be Around is on display at the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tuscon, Arizona.

Stored or under restoration

B-17D (s/n 40-3097) The Swoose is under restoration by the National Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C..

B-17E (s/n 41-2595) Desert Rat is under restoration by Michael W. Kellner in Crystal Lake, Illinois.

B-17E (s/n 41-9032) My Gal Sal is under restoration by the Ultimate Sacrifice Memorial Foundation in Cincinnati, Ohio.

B-17E (s/n 41-9210) is under restoration to airworthiness by Vulcan Warbirds Inc. in Seattle, Washington.

B-17F (s/n 41-24485) Memphis Belle is under restoration by the Memphis Belle Memorial Association in Memphis, Tennessee.

B-17G (s/n 44-83525) Suzy Q is in storage at the Fantasy of Flight Museum in Polk City, Florida.

B-17G (s/n 44-83684) Picadilly Lily II is under restoration to airworthiness by the Planes of Fame in Chino, California.

B-17G (s/n 44-83814) is in storage at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C..

B-17G (s/n 44-83790) is under restoration by Don Brook in Douglas, Georgia.

B-17G (s/n 44-85813) is under restoration to airworthiness by Tech II in Springfield, Ohio.

Saskatoon Light Infantry

Let us not forget the B-24s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_survi...B-24_Liberators

Survivors

Airworthy

United States

B-24A (s/n 40-2366) Ol '927 is airworthy and owned by the Commemorative Air Force in Addison, Texas.

B-24J (s/n 44-44052) Witchcraft is airworthy and owned by the Collings Foundation in Stow, Massachusetts.

B-24J (s/n 44-44272) Joe is airworthy and owned by the Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Florida.

On display

Canada

B-24L (s/n 44-50154) is on display at the National Aviation Museum in Rockcliffe Park, Ontario.

India

B-24J (s/n 44-44213) is on display at the Indian Air Force Museum in Palam Air Base, New Delhi.

Turkey

B-24D (s/n 41-24311) Hadley's Harem (nose only) is on display in Istanbul.

United Kingdom

B-24M (s/n 44-51228) Dugan is on display at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, UK.

B-24L (s/n 44-50206) Liberator B.VI formerly KN751 of the RAF and HE807 of the IAF. On display at the RAF Museum in RAF Hendon.

United States

B-24D (s/n 41-11825) Hail Columbia (nose only) is on display at the Fantasy of Flight Museum in Polk City, Florida.

B-24D (s/n 42-40557) Fightin' Sam (nose only). Liberator GR.V formerly BZ755 of the RCAF. On display at the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Savannah, Georgia.

B-24D (s/n 42-40461) Grumpy (nose only) is on display at the Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton, Virginia.

B-24D (s/n 42-72843) Strawberry Bitch is on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.

B-24M (s/n 44-41916) Shady Lady is on display at the Castle Air Museum in Castle Air Force Base, California.

B-24J (s/n 44-44175) Bungay Buckaroo is on display at the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, Arizona.

B-24J (s/n 44-48781) Louisiana Belle II is on display at the Eighth Air Force Museum in Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.

Under restoration

Australia

B-24M (s/n 44-41956) is under restoration by the Liberator Memorial Fund in Melbourne, Victoria.

United States

B-24D (s/n 41-23908) is under restoration at the Hill Aerospace Museum in Ogden, Utah.

Here's the ol' gal as she was displayed before being taken out of the museum for restoration work.

post-8022-1306060781.jpg

Sabrejet

I'm lucky to have a Fortress locally at the Dover AFB museum, a fact that is not lost on me! ;) This is an old photo. An upper turret was installed a year or two ago.

-Ski

post-3043-1306067114.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Here's "Memphis Belle" (actually B-17G 44-83546) at Andrews AFB this past Friday.

DSCN2768.jpg

Johan Willaert
From the checkerboard cowling I'd say that was "Sally B"?

Yes, these were taken shortly after filming of 'Memphis Belle' and while I was still an active member of the group...

flight helmets 522

Man, you guys know your 'Forts! Beautiful planes. Thanks for all the information.

Phil.

I agree 100%. There were eight B-17s at the Thunder Over Michigan 2010 Air Show. There is something special about the sound and smell of their big radial engines.

There's our bird, second from the right.

It is available for rides, just check the web-site to see when

she will be in your town.

www.libertyfoundation.org

Get to see a B-17 thread!

Best, John