Marines Baseball Uniform

shrapneldude

shrapneldude

I've seen these pop up for sale from time to time, never really paid much attention to them. This turned up at the Flea Market today for a reasonable price, so it's a new addition to the Collection.

Does anyone have any team photos or any other info on this?

post-1424-1305924261.jpg

shrapneldude
Very nice! I was watching it on ripmeBay (or one like it) but couldn't afford to buy it.

Haha

No, unless this was the one listed on there and it didn't sell? I pulled this off a pole at the flea market this morning.

There's a few other interesting Marines sports items on eBay though.

With the Marine Corps boxing robe and the USMC Basketball medals, I may have to make a little "USMC athletics" display.

I have pics of Marine Corps boxing, basketball, ice hockey, tennis, football and baseball. I also have a complete (minus the hat) baseball uniform with pants, will try to dig out and photo to add. An interesting area to cover as sports equipment was part of the TOE going back to the early 1900s for any USMC unit going overseas and MBs. I think it is part of the 1914/15 equipment needed for an Expeditionary Force if I recall correctly.

Austin_Militaria

I had a white and blue one with the Contract tag in the collar, 1946-1950 era. I sold it at the West Coast Militaria show for $100 a few weeks ago.

jerseygary

Very nice jersey. I am very interested in service teams and write about some of them on my website on baseball history. The Marines had very boring uniforms compared to the Navy and Army teams during WWII who had different uniforms for every base and camp imaginable. The Marines had a simple grey uniform with red lettering and the cap was usually grey with a red bill and "M". These uniforms also pre-date WWII because I have seen pictures of teams in China and other posts wearing them and I own a scorecard from the late 1920's showing a player with the same jersey. I am attaching a picture of former major leaguer Boots Poffenberger when he was in the Marines during the war wearing the same basic jersey you have. I assume the Marines ordered these things in bulk because almost all the Marine teams I've seen pictures of wear these but I have also seen a great FMF team photo.

BootsPoffenbergerUSMarines.jpg

MarinesBaseballTeamPacificwithNippyJones.jpg

shrapneldude
Very nice jersey. I am very interested in service teams and write about some of them on my website on baseball history. The Marines had very boring

THank you for posting those photos! :thumbsup:

I should add -- there is a pair of pants with this jersey -- they're on the hanger but covered up by the shirt. Looks like I'll need a hat now though.

Sorry folks for some reason I am unable to attach any other images right now. First one went fine and none of the others seem to work.

Danny

I have one also.Right from a vet along with his glove.He played in 1943 and if I recall correctly they won the service championship that year.He told me he played on the team and with a pro ball player but I forgot the players name.I also have his basketball trunks and his dress uniforms.He later went on to fly in a Marine Bomber Group as a top turret gunner.

I have owned one other but didnt know who it belonged to.

RD

• 3 months later...
THank you for posting those photos! :thumbsup:

I should add -- there is a pair of pants with this jersey -- they're on the hanger but covered up by the shirt. Looks like I'll need a hat now though.

Shrap,

I picked up the uniform from Keith that was for sale a bit ago...it is just like yours. I immeditately thought the same thing...ball cap. I've been watching for them for the past few months with no success. So, having finally acquired the uniform, I contacted the folks at Ebbets Field Flannels to see if I can have a repro made (they use vintage wool flannel and materials for their products) of the same caliber of their normal production items. I live nearby and offered to bring my uniform in (soon after it arrives in shipment) for them to analyze and color match. If you're interested, PM me.

• 6 months later...

I was watching this recent listing on eBay with considerable interest. It sold a couple days ago for $230+ which, sadly was beyond my budget range. With all the photos I have seen of WWII Marines baseball uniforms, this one was an oddity. My sense is that it is post-war, probably early-mid 1950s judging by the the way the numbers and the patches/embroidery-work are made. It is quite stunning and I wish that it was in my collection!

Images saved for posterity:

6881088890_8077144995_b.jpg

6880967182_b88fb88feb_b.jpg

7027070071_90decb1862_b.jpg

6880980660_ef341bf6dc_b.jpg

shrapneldude

67Rally, that is one COOL looking uniform! Wish I'd caught that, but it was out of my price range too. :lol:

Here's a slightly newer still USMC baseball uniform from my collection; I think it may be 1970s or 80s. Not nearly as cool as the 40s/50s ones, but probably a lot more comfortable to play baseball in!

post-1424-1333043644.jpg

67Rally, that is one COOL looking uniform! Wish I'd caught that, but it was out of my price range too. :lol:

Here's a slightly newer still USMC baseball uniform from my collection; I think it may be 1970s or 80s. Not nearly as cool as the 40s/50s ones, but probably a lot more comfortable to play baseball in!

post-1424-1333043644.jpg

Shrap,

That is cool!

Having worn CNT/doubleknit uniforms (nylon white navy ice cream man suits), I can say that they aren't comfortable. I have several wool flannel baseball jerseys (from Ebbets Field Flannels) that are way more comfortable than the doubleknits of today. They just don't wash/wear as well as modern uniforms.

Btw - I still have to get the ball cap made for my USMC WWII gray/red baseball uniform.

shrapneldude
Btw - I still have to get the ball cap made for my USMC WWII gray/red baseball uniform.

Keep me posted on that, ok?

Keep me posted on that, ok?

Will do.

I've corresponded with the folks at EFF about it...and it seems that they will be very straight-forward as far as the construction. The materials are readily available and they'll use my uniform to color-match the flannels.

If you've never seen their products, they are absolutely top-notch. Their products, aside from being for the historical baseball enthusiast, are used in (period-piece) films and for MLB/Minor League baseball throwback games. Authentic down to the last detail, the jerseys are works of art.

The caps are built in the same fashion as the jerseys, with the exception of the leather sweatbands. It seems that no one is manufacturing the correct leather and what is available now is junk that starts to deteriorate as soon as it contacts sweat/oils. So, EFF switched to a later, cotton sweatband found on early 1970s caps.

• 6 years later...
TheWarFrontOR

I have one just like this in the store right now with the pants. I agree on the Korean War assessment, it has that look and feel.

I was watching this recent listing on eBay with considerable interest. It sold a couple days ago for $230+ which, sadly was beyond my budget range. With all the photos I have seen of WWII Marines baseball uniforms, this one was an oddity. My sense is that it is post-war, probably early-mid 1950s judging by the the way the numbers and the patches/embroidery-work are made. It is quite stunning and I wish that it was in my collection!

Images saved for posterity:

6881088890_8077144995_b.jpg
6880967182_b88fb88feb_b.jpg
7027070071_90decb1862_b.jpg
6880980660_ef341bf6dc_b.jpg