WW1 Air Service Officer's Uniform

cwnorma

Here is a recent flea market find:

post-594-1192295076.jpg

WW1 Air Service Officer's uniform. When found, the collar insignia was still in place, but sadly the wings were long gone. I added the pair you see in the display and the 2nd Lt Bars. The coat is named inside: R. Powell. I haven't had time to research him yet; any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

All,

Any of you superior researchers have a list of WW1 overseas Air Service Officers?

I am looking for R. Powell.

Unfortunately, I don't know what his rank was.

Chris

Hi,

There are 7 Powell's on the Zones of Advance List, the closest name would be Clifford R. Powell. No R. Powell.

There are no R. Powell's in the 2nd Corps Observer School, either staff or Graduates.

And no R. Powell in Wings of Honor.

The guy could have been a Aid or something and never did any flying. The Zones of Advance does include members that joined post Armistice also.

Sorry Paul

Paul,

I looked again at it and it could also be R. Rowell. It is written in cursive and the P (or R) is attached to the "o" so it could be either. There is a middle initial too, but I can't make it out. Regardless I don't think it was a bad buy for what I paid for it. Of course you are correct, he may never have been a pilot. Does your listing also include observers? Ground officers? How complete is it?

Is there a download-able version of these documents that you referenced?

Thanks for looking though!

Chris

Hi,

There are 7 Powell's on the Zones of Advance List, the closest name would be Clifford R. Powell. No R. Powell.

There are no R. Powell's in the 2nd Corps Observer School, either staff or Graduates.

And no R. Powell in Wings of Honor.

The guy could have been a Aid or something and never did any flying. The Zones of Advance does include members that joined post Armistice also.

Sorry Paul

There is a Joseph C.N. Rowell who served in the 1201st AS.

He joined them on October 21st 1918

The Zone of Advance list, includes any commisioned observer or pilot that flew in the Zone of Advance.

As for the ZoA list, I do not know of any downloadable version. Like I said in previous posts it took me some time to get a copy of it. Paul

Paul,

Thanks again for looking, I don't think it is either one as the first initial is clearly R. No worries though, it came cheap, and it is a named WW1 officer's uniform.

Do you have a source for the Zone of the Advance list? I would also like to get my hands on a copy. How long is it could I pay you to have it photocopied?

Best wishes!

Chris

There is a Joseph C.N. Rowell who served in the 1201st AS.

He joined them on October 21st 1918

The Zone of Advance list, includes any commisioned observer or pilot that flew in the Zone of Advance.

As for the ZoA list, I do not know of any downloadable version. Like I said in previous posts it took me some time to get a copy of it. Paul