D-Day Uniform Rig

LTGSANCHEZ

Well, just about done with my captain d-day display. The assault vest is a repro from at the front as is the brassard. The original brassard I have is a dug relic. I'm pretty happy with it. All the gear I have for it is pretty mint. The m43 shovel is the only thing I'd want to upgrade, and I'm sure I'll never own an original assault vest so I'll have to stick with the repro. Just wanted to share the display really quick.

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

Nice setup. Which unit are you going for 29th or 1st Div?

I agree on the M44 goggles, they were not yet available by Overlord. In fact they only really start to show up in 45 towards the end on the war in Europe. The disposable spray shield goggles were quite common, why not try them?

I'd also love to own an original assault vest. You've really got to know what you are looking at with those as there are some very good fakes which could catch you out if you don't know what to look for. I think you should also replace the repro M7 gas mask bag. Originals aren't that hard to come by.

Chris

Thanks for the 411 on the goggles I didn't realize they weren't around till 45. I have a pair of the dust goggles I'll put on.

I'd also love to own an original assault vest. You've really got to know what you are looking at with those as there are some very good fakes which could catch you out if you don't know what to look for. I think you should also replace the repro M7 gas mask bag. Originals aren't that hard to come by.

Chris

I have an original, but I keep it on my para uniform. I didn't feel like buying two originals.

Is the brassard really a dug relic? It stil looks good to me.

Nice display though!

Not the one on the display! I keep the dug one in a riker case. I can't remember if I posted it on this forum or not.

Thanks for the support everyone! Maybe one day I can post a real assault vest on here! I did forgot that I had a repro m7 bag on the display. I have an authentic one, but I keep that on my 82nd para display which is a bit more deserving of a clean m7 bag.

Johan Willaert

Nice Lt, but I would get rid of the large mesh helmet net and goggles all together... You don't see them on period pictures....

Just want to add one of my D-Day GI's. It portrays a 4th Infantry Division Officer embarking for the D-Day invasion of Utah-Beach. This Assault Boat Team Leader wears the Gas Impregnated HBT's (boy, do they smell!!!) over the standard wool uniform and is equipped with an Assault Jacket. The gear on his pistol belt includes a Parachute First Aid Pouch and British Made .45 magazine pouch. On his back are a canteen and compass pouch. Armament consists of a .45 cal pistol and an M1 carbine. The Assault Gas Mask is worn on the chest while the M26 USN Lifebelt is slung from the British Made toggle rope. A Gas Detection Brassard is worn on the left sleeve. Insignia is limited to the Lt bar and Infantry crossed rifles on the shirt collar.

Ivy2.JPG

Enjoy,

Johan

Nice Lt, but I would get rid of the large mesh helmet net and goggles all together... You don't see them on period pictures....

Just want to add one of my D-Day GI's. It portrays a 4th Infantry Division Officer embarking for the D-Day invasion of Utah-Beach. This Assault Boat Team Leader wears the Gas Impregnated HBT's (boy, do they smell!!!) over the standard wool uniform and is equipped with an Assault Jacket. The gear on his pistol belt includes a Parachute First Aid Pouch and British Made .45 magazine pouch. On his back are a canteen and compass pouch. Armament consists of a .45 cal pistol and an M1 carbine. The Assault Gas Mask is worn on the chest while the M26 USN Lifebelt is slung from the British Made toggle rope. A Gas Detection Brassard is worn on the left sleeve. Insignia is limited to the Lt bar and Infantry crossed rifles on the shirt collar.

Ivy2.JPG

Enjoy,

Johan

Nice display!!!

I will do with the changes to the helmet! Thanks for the period info! I have a gas imgrenated HBT jacket and it smells too!! The only good thing is that it helped get rid of the moth ball smell on al the other gear it was boxed up with while I was in basic training/OCS. I wanted to add some more gear to it like the pistol belt and compass pouch, etc. but my paratrooper display takes priority over it. I noticed the brassard was worn on the left sleeve, but most period photos show it on the right as it covered the divisional insignia. Great looking display again. Thanks for the 411. I have my paratrooper display in other threads. Do you have photos of your collection ont he forum? I'd like to see your other rigs.