Military vehicle rally at Ft Hood.

svt40

HoovieDude

Well, mother******! How could I have not known about this? I need to pay more attention as well as have a word with my neighbor who is the gift shop manager for the 1st Cav Museum, for not telling me. I saw a M151 on the road in Heights friday afternoon with the driver decked out in OG's, so I imagine he was part of it.

easterneagle87

Are there any plans to dig the Stuart out?

Surley Ft. Hood has a restoration team at their museum.

• 9 years later...
On 5/19/2011 at 10:11 PM, svt40 said:

Our first MV casualty of the day was the M3 halftrack who threw a track and had to call it a day. He put it into front wheel drive and limped to the highway to make recovery much easier.

1072793_orig.jpg

25882_orig.jpg

3446163_orig.jpg

I was the driver you see in the pictures.  The tracks on her were both dated 1944.  Pretty good mileage for 70+ year old tracks.

On 5/25/2011 at 3:24 PM, easterneagle87 said:

Are there any plans to dig the Stuart out?

Surley Ft. Hood has a restoration team at their museum.

Ft Hood has no interest in recovering any of the the junk hiding around the maneuver areas unless it presents an environmental issue or interferes with training.  The only vehicle restoration that gets done at either of the museums is when the Red Cycle unit gets tasked to send a detail to repaint a vehicle (most of the time somewhat crudely as the troops are usually less than enthused about being on Red Cycle) .  My friend and I had talked to Range Control about it.  We could have it for $1, but we'd have to get an environmental impact study done, co-ordinate for recovery assets, then return the area to it's original state (minus Stuart).  So, the wreck is still sitting there.