2nd Lt. Herbert W. Burns POW Stalag Luft III - Sr Service Pilot wing

John Cooper

John Cooper

Ok here was something odd I took a gamble on... My first thought was how could a senior service pilot be shot down over Germany? More on that story later... first the group shot to let the photos do the talking.

post-227-1305858888.jpg

John Cooper

Ok now the wings - how often do you see HH pilots wings or for that matter senior pilot wings? In my experience not often in fact I can't recall seeing one at all. Now what make this more interesting is they have been converted to what appears to be a senior service pilot.

Here is the obverse - the white splotches on the S are remains of some paper which rubbed off with my finger tip. The front of the wing appears to be coated with lacquer that has yellowed. The center of the shield has bee removed and a brass S added.

The reverse has Burns name and service number at the time he wore the wing. The information I have appears to show he had two service numbers. One war time and the other post war when he went back in to the service. The wing itself appears to have been a pinback converted to a clutchback.

The engraving on the back is crude and may have been done by Burns - it reads Herbert W Burns 09237911

post-227-1305859251.jpg post-227-1305859261.jpg

John Cooper

Here is a close up of the makers mark. You can see in this photo the marks from attaching the new posts.

post-227-1305859916.jpg

John Cooper

Now here more information on his status as a POW. (all additional photos of related items were provided by the seller)

Here are two newspaper clips about his status as a prisoner and liberation. Additionally a telegram and a photo.

post-227-1305860124.jpgpost-227-1305860141.jpg

post-227-1305860151.jpg

post-227-1305860160.jpg

John Cooper

As you can see from the photo of Lt Burns his service number at that time was different from the one on the wing I posted.

Here is his matching dogtag.

post-227-1305860475.jpg

LuftStalg1

Wow, very cool John! The trimmed photo looks like one on Ebay I passed on. :think: I only look for the Stalag Luft 1 stuff for my book and pass on these even though they are so cool. Great buy, thanks for sharing! :twothumbup:

rustywings

Nice H&H Senior Service Pilot variation John! Any info on the smaller lapel wing with the blue enamel and number "99"? I'm assuming it's a "Ninety-Nine Club" pin which was a women's pilot organization established in 1929 and still running strong today. Many WWII era WASP's were both Service Pilots and members of the "Ninety-Nines." Maybe a gift from a female pilot to your named male pilot? Thanks for posting!

Russ

John Cooper

Thanks Russ!

I am unsure about the 99 wing although he did belong to the the Silver Wings (see photo). Additionally here is another photo fronm the group showing a pilot wearing the rank of a Major (likely the same rank in the part of the group I own) and senior pilots wings. I can't tell from the photo if they are the same wing I have.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the POW Burns earning a senior service pilot wing... luckly for me a fellow member DZR who was able to secure the bulk of the group from the seller. DZR mentioned that the wing may in fact be from Burns Sr. which the photo below maybe of.

I want to mention that only the items in my first photo are in my collection all other items belong to DZR who has been kind enough to share information with me. I am looking forward to his post which will have many great items.

Cheers

John

post-227-1306123814.jpg

post-227-1306123827.jpg

• 4 years later...

I am doing research on Herbert Burns, he was later a builder and designer of homes and hotels in the Palm Springs area. I would love to hear more about this collection, and to know if there are other photographs of either Sr or Jr?

Thanks Russ!

I am unsure about the 99 wing although he did belong to the the Silver Wings (see photo). Additionally here is another photo fronm the group showing a pilot wearing the rank of a Major (likely the same rank in the part of the group I own) and senior pilots wings. I can't tell from the photo if they are the same wing I have.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the POW Burns earning a senior service pilot wing... luckly for me a fellow member DZR who was able to secure the bulk of the group from the seller. DZR mentioned that the wing may in fact be from Burns Sr. which the photo below maybe of.

I want to mention that only the items in my first photo are in my collection all other items belong to DZR who has been kind enough to share information with me. I am looking forward to his post which will have many great items.

Cheers
John

attachicon.gifsilver_wings.jpg
attachicon.gifmajor_burns.jpg

I would expect such excellent collecting from you John...Just Spectacular my friend. The creativity which went into the Sr Service Pilot Badge makes it an ABSOLUTE ONE OF A KIND. The hands on application of so much attention, time and creativity to forge a badge of such exquisite, unique exclusivity, really speaks to the character of this intrepid pilot who reached the Sr Service Pilot Rating. John, this one is a badge that should be set amongst those most treasured finds which fit no previous or latter mold. The fact that you are at the precipice of discovering the details of the life of the man who gives this badge a vitality otherwise lost to time, is a Blessing indeeed ... This wing is that tiny monument representing the context and mission from which the the memories were forged of this pilot's journey; a history revealing the epic battle to subvert Tyranny in which Major Burns and his son risked all, to give this nation its waning experiences of freedom, for another 50 years. Thank you John as always for sharing this next example of your unquestionable dedication to our Avocation.