Rarest and most valuable Us military decoration

emccomas

Although not a military decoration per say, but indeed still very rare, is the : Congressional Airmail Flyer's Medal of Honor, from the 1930's, only 7 were awarded.

The Air Mail Medal of Honor was authorized by Congress on February 14, 1931 for presentation by the President for pilots who perform distinguished service in connection with airmail service.

Dave

post-2967-1307106982.jpg

Feb 14, 1931 Congress created the Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor, retroactive to May 15, 1918.

Dec 13, 1933 President Franklin D. Roosevelt presented the first Air Mail Flyer's Medal of Honor to Maj. Bryan Freeburg.

Although not a military decoration per say, but indeed still very rare, is the : Congressional Airmail Flyer's Medal of Honor, from the 1930's, only 7 were awarded.

The Air Mail Medal of Honor was authorized by Congress on February 14, 1931 for presentation by the President for pilots who perform distinguished service in connection with airmail service.

Dave

Thanks for that - I had never heard of this award.

Also, does anyone here know what the Bailey Medal looked like?

Dave

Dave-

Wow! Great medal. (Are you the lucky owner of this? )

Kurt

Dave-

Kurt

The medal pictured is part of the collection of the National Air and Space Museum. I recognize that tag, and googled it.

The medal pictured is part of the collection of the National Air and Space Museum. I recognize that tag, and googled it.

Oh well. Hoped a forum member owned it. Perhaps I'll find one of the other 6 tomorrow morning at the flea market.

Oh well. Hoped a forum member owned it. Perhaps I'll find one of the other 6 tomorrow morning at the flea market.

Now that is an optimistic attitude. Good luck at the flea market, and do post pictures of your finds. :)

Now that is an optimistic attitude. Good luck at the flea market, and do post pictures of your finds. :)

Pretty slim pickins today. Lots of baseball cards for my son, but no military items.

No Kurt, I do not own one.

The photo came from the internet via the Smithsonian.

There is an original in a small glass case located in the lobby of the American Airlines Flight Academy in Dallas, TX. It's not in the Museum, but next door in the Flight Academy's lobby.

Dave

Dave-

Kurt

• 1 year later...
johnnyrocket

Off hand, I would say Audie Murphy's MoH. I believe I heard that the original was either lost or stolen?

Johnny R.