Bombardier Wings-Original?

jetteraf

I picked these up based on pictures, and now that I have them in hand, have my doubts. These come with short pins, and one WWII style brass clutch. The back is marked STERLING and has a glossy blackened appearance. The front appears to also have had an antiquing applied vs. natural tarnish. Overall appearance seems a bit grainy, and I'm wondering if the piece isn't cast. Any opinions?

post-12383-1305612284.jpg

post-12383-1305612295.jpg

Hi,

I'm no expert regarding wings, although these don't look like they are authentic WW2 era, as they definitely look cast. It looks like there are a lot of imperfections on the wings of the badge caused by air bubbles, and I also don't like the pools of soldering that are holding in the pins. Also, the "sterling" hallmark should be very easily readable, and not blurred as it appears in your photo.

If these wings were marketed as authentic, you should try and get your money back.

Andrew

I'll take a different position and suggest that they are exactly what they seem to be, WWII vintage "graduation" or issue bombardier wings. Sometimes the quality of these wings was not the greatest, and the finish and quality of the strike can make them look cast. From what I see, they compare well with other wings in this pattern that I have seen

They are a relatively common pattern and not typically faked, because they are on the lower end of value.

From what I can see, my 2 cents are that they are 100% ok. :thumbsup:

Patrick

I also wanted to add that the "short" posts on the back are exactly what you would expect from a World War II era piece. The longer posts are generally associated with post-war manufacture.

I see no issues. Sterling silver is a fairly soft metal and the "pitted" look is probably slight damage from coming into contact with harder substances over the last 6 or 7 decades.

Thanks everybody. I took a chance with an E-Bay listing with some grainy pictures. The seller dealt with militaria, but focused on civil war stuff, and didn't have any other wings for sale. I hoped the lack of maker marks, and clutch backs put these too low in the food chain to merit faking. I felt the short posts and WWII style clutch were good indicators too. I just thought they looked a little "soft" when I got them, so I came here. Thanks for the help, and I'm glad they were what I thought I was buying.

John Cooper

Well it looks like you have been provided the correct inforamtion on this wing. I am glad you stopped in and asked! Please alwasy feel free to post and ask questions and browse the threads as there is a wealth of information.

Cheers

John

armillary_journey

Even though a couple of distinguished wing people have given their opinion I'd like to

add a brief here, the short post, and silver solder puddles that attach them are what

you want. If they were "nailhead" looking post with no silver solder, they'd probably

be post WW2. I went to a very very experienced wing kings home and had the honor

of looking at his massive collection in Febuary of this year. One thing I left there with.

He said to me, he has never seen any clutback counterfeits, not that they aren't out there,

he just hasn't seen any. He said people want pinbacks, as they tend to be more popular

so that is what the counterfeiters produce, the "popular, the sought after wings". Your wing

on here is fine brother, a nice piece of history. Keep buying them wings.................. :thumbsup:

armillary_journey
Thanks everybody. I took a chance with an E-Bay listing with some grainy pictures. The seller dealt with militaria, but focused on civil war stuff, and didn't have any other wings for sale. I hoped the lack of maker marks, and clutch backs put these too low in the food chain to merit faking. I felt the short posts and WWII style clutch were good indicators too. I just thought they looked a little "soft" when I got them, so I came here. Thanks for the help, and I'm glad they were what I thought I was buying.

Start looking at the edges of your wings. Vertical shears marks are a solid indicator

you have a die struck wing. Sometimes it's hard to see them, and sometimes not.

Go on ebay and search "loupe". They are really cheap, buy a 16 and or a 30

power. But you will see many things then the naked eye don't show you.

Good luck!