M1936 USMC suspenders?

robinb

There is just barely visable a "US" on the inside of the shoulder strap. But...the strap tips are square. Could these be USMC issue?

MVC_047S.JPG

MVC_048S.JPG

Greg Robinson

Robin

Maybe....but I can't say for sure. I own an unissued set of M1936 suspenders that are dated 1943 and the "US" stamp was left off so I kept them just in case they're Marine issue. But I have seen a pic of a set of M1936 suspenders that were actually marked "USMC" and I think the maker mark was S Froehlich which would make sense since they had a lot of USMC contracts. And best I can recall from looking at the pics they used the heavier cast bronze buckles that often seem to be a trademark of USMC web gear. The guy who showed me the pic said he felt they were legit but I've never seen nor heard of another example. FWIW, the Marines did use a lot of these so some that were specifically made for the USMC are a possibility. Yours do look good having the square tip ends and from the pics the buckles look like the heavier WW1 type.

• 6 years later...

I have only one set of '36s with the narrow square tips, and they are pretty plainly Army issue...

post-3226-0-08913800-1391288292.jpg

Acquired these a few years ago, however; if there is any difference between these and the Army ones, I can't see it:

post-3226-0-17356700-1391288644.jpg

HA!! Every time I think of Marine-issued M1936s, that's the first photo I think of...Thanks! Cast buckles, and all...

Here's another: Raiders Jimmy Roosevelt, with Harry Liversedge close behind, in the Pacific, scanned from Jim Moran's Marine Corps reference book...

post-3226-0-26222900-1391292860.jpg

Yet another, 1stMarDiv on New Britain, again from Moran's reference. I notice that these guys are all Officers. In the Marine Pack Manual, the M1936 Field Bag is designated the "Officer's Field Bag", so I suspect that they were the only recipients of the '36 suspenders as well. Any thoughts?

post-3226-0-27741400-1391292969.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Older thread, but I figured I might ask if anyone is still looking at this subject.

I do not own a set of these, but one of my buddies has a couple of sets. The observation that these are normally seen on officers makes sense. Officers are required to purchase most of thier uniforms now, and were required to buy pretty much the majority of thier kit as well pre-WWII. OCS/TBS is still at Quantico, and there are a bunch of shops in "Quantico Town" that cater to all of the items young officers are required to purchase. Many of those items are of a higher quality and are different than the issue items supplied to the enlisted men.

I could easily see these types of suspenders, different than what the enlisted men use, to be part of the required kit for officers to purchase along with the M1936 bag and other items.

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2019 at 3:44 PM, USMC-EOD said:

Older thread, but I figured I might ask if anyone is still looking at this subject.

I do not own a set of these, but one of my buddies has a couple of sets. The observation that these are normally seen on officers makes sense. Officers are required to purchase most of thier uniforms now, and were required to buy pretty much the majority of thier kit as well pre-WWII. OCS/TBS is still at Quantico, and there are a bunch of shops in "Quantico Town" that cater to all of the items young officers are required to purchase. Many of those items are of a higher quality and are different than the issue items supplied to the enlisted men.

I could easily see these types of suspenders, different than what the enlisted men use, to be part of the required kit for officers to purchase along with the M1936 bag and other items.

Thanks for the good data! That sure helps explain the rarity of these items.