Collar Cloth Rank

36-tex

Here is my collection of cloth rank insignia. I do not believe I have ever out-right purchased any of these. It seems most collectors ignore these and are willing to give them away. Enjoy!

post-98-1305487059.jpg

I believe these are unofficial. I seem to remember someone saying the black on tan were suppose to be brown on tan. Then again, since I have no brown on tan, I could be wrong.

post-98-1305487181.jpg

I believe this technique was discussed somewhere else on shoulder patches ("subduing" colored shoulder patches). This Lt. bar looks as if someone tried to "subdue" it with a black marker.

post-98-1305487374.jpg

Air Force officers wear rank on both collars (BDU's) or shoulders (Flight suits), so there would be a left and right side for the cloth rank made.

Mike

Also I'm not 100% sure but doesn't the other branches wear the Col eagles on both sides of the shoulders on their flight suits also?

Mike

ABrangerjoe
Also I'm not 100% sure but doesn't the other branches wear the Col eagles on both sides of the shoulders on their flight suits also?

Mike

Everyone but the Marine Corps wears officer ranks on the shoulders of flight suits.

Why do I have a colonel eagle facing the opposite direction? I thought these were only worn as singles, opposite a "U.S."

In explanation as to why you see oppisite full bird's is easy .The one's on any kind of wool and khaki cloth whether bullion or regular thead where made in pair's on the notion that they along with matching U.S. and branch insignia, might be worn on the officer's od wool or khaki classA coat's. the rank being on the epaulet's. most officer's if they where so inclined would normally where the bullion version's. Altough these kind of small patches where made from mid WW2 on this was generally in the immediate post ww2 period up to the introdution of the AG44 uniform's at least for the od coat's with the khaki one's still being used till the late 60's. In alot of case's the regular thead one 's on khaki twill and occasionlly the bullion one's wound up being worn only on the collar's of the khaki shirt , that would of couse be only the rank and branch one's, they even where to be seen on fatique shirt's as it was kind of fasion statment in the late 50s early 60's and appered to be completely acceptable.The same thing would apply for the qualifcation bagde's that where made on khaki I.E. CIB"S JUMP WING"S ETC. The one's made on HBT or OD cotton sateen where made to be worn on the epaulet's of the field jacket's whether white on O.D. or the later subdued version's. Air force officer's who wore their rank on both collar's of their utillty item's would wear the army version's at least untill they got the new white on blue badge's in the mid 60's. Navy and Marine officer's wore exclusivlly there metal rank pin's on their utillity item's. In vietnam with the intruduction of subdued patches within the air force officer's then began to wear the army subdued version on both collar's. the navy also while in vietnam began to wear the army version's both color and subdued on their utillities. The marine officer's tened to wear their metal badge's.

El Bibliotecario
I believe this technique was discussed somewhere else on shoulder patches ("subduing" colored shoulder patches). This Lt. bar looks as if someone tried to "subdue" it with a black marker.

Another explanation could be (I've seen this during my military service) that a 2LT promoted to 1LT didn't want to bother with sewing on new rank.

Another explanation could be (I've seen this during my military service) that a 2LT promoted to 1LT didn't want to bother with sewing on new rank.

Agreed, as the butter bar was already subdued for a 2Lt.