Iwo Jima 6th Tank Battalion Flame Tank

usmcski

Thanks again for the kind words, all. "Daisy" is 1/35th scale, and all markings are dry transfers. The model is actually named after one of my dogs ("Duke" is next!), using model railroad dry transfers. The remainder of the markings are from Archer Fine Transfers "Iwo Jima Shermans". The mantlet cover (gun tarp) is a resin piece from Tank Workshop.

As far as painting goes, for paint chips on the turret and throughout the model, I used a 50/50 mix of Model Masters Aircraft Interior Black and Military Brown, followed up by some light streaking of Burnt Sienna oil-based paint, heavily thinned. Any chipping of paint on the real tank would not stay bare metal for long, but would rust quickly to an orange, then brown, then nearly black.

Yep, Lars, you read correctly. My first model in 10 years.....happy you like it!

Semper,

Ski

You need to submit these pics and your story about 1st in 10 yrs to Fine Scale Modeler. You did a great job.

You need to submit these pics and your story about 1st in 10 yrs to Fine Scale Modeler. You did a great job.

Hadn't even thought of that, but I'm flattered! Maybe I'll send the pics to the Reader Gallery, thanks for the suggestion....not a bad idea, actually!

Semper,

Ski

WOW, just caught my mistake (d@mn you, Guinness!!!) This is a 5th Bn tank, NOT 6th! Sorry, my fingers must have been heavily influenced by the pint of stout that was helping me post! :rolleyes:

Semper!

Ski

Ski,

That's excellent work. Congratulations! :thumbsup: I wish I had the patience you have. Thought you'd like to see a photo of one of his cousins in the ETO.

post-70-1305671841.jpg

post-70-1305671821.jpg

Ski,

That's excellent work. Congratulations! :thumbsup: I wish I had the patience you have. Thought you'd like to see a photo of one of his cousins in the ETO.

post-70-1305671841.jpg

post-70-1305671821.jpg

I can honestly say that I've NEVER seen a photo of the hull-mounted flamethrower in use, thanks a bunch! (most of the "Zippo" tanks on Iwo were the hull mounted version, I believe only 8 of the "main barrel" flame tanks were in use on Iwo, 4 in the 4th TB, 4 in the 5th). Great pic, I appreciate you sharing it! :thumbsup:

Semper,

Ski

• 1 month later...
wwIIfighterpilots

Nicely done. Amazing work. I am not a modeler, but I always enjoy doing a search for 1/35 built on ebay and seeing what models people have created.

WOW, That is one good looking model. You really did an outstanding paint job and weathering on that tank, it's fun to look at. I like the 10 penny nails on the hatches, great detail.

Beautiful work, especially after being away from it for so long!

Semper Fi!

Dennis

• 6 years later...

Hey Ski,

I was going over some of the older pages on this forum and saw 'Daisy'. Nice work, the camo, weathering and intake look great. I especially like the B&W photos.

Job well done.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Glad to see it reposted.

Love this build and never tire of seeing it.

Hope Ski can add some close ups sometime of his detail work.

You turned out a superb looking Marine Sherman. 10 years since your last build or not, you still have your skills!

Joe