TUNNEL RAT HEADLAMP

billy-brooks

billy-brooks
look familiar to one in Stantons Viet Nam uniform book.

RD

thanks D....

i compared the headlamp on this book already...

for me the hardware (buttons, webbing...) looks like france or german bundeswehr on this time

thanks D....

i compared the headlamp on this book already...

for me the hardware (buttons, webbing...) looks like france or german bundeswehr on this time

I agree

Looking at the pebbled buttons they remind me of something german bubewehr

• 1 month later...

I had what I purchased as a "Swedish Army" headlamp a few years ago that looked a LOT like that. The stock number on the headband isn't consistant in font or format to US gear either. I smell a rat, but not a tunnel rat !

German Luftwaffe mechanics used headlamps during WWII. Leather tabs on battery case look like those used on European pocket flashlights.

My suggestion is to read the auction description as it states: "Type used by “Tunnel Rats” for searching enemy caves and tunnels." It does not say anything about the item actually being a genuine headlamp from the infamous Tunnel Exploration Kit. The kits, which were tested in 1966 and 1967, featured a headlamp with "bite-switch" - which would the most obvious component to identify the item.

As all the other members, that have responded, have indicated it is obviously European (West German or Swedish) in origin (based on the battery box with leather "button tabs").

I recommend that the forum moderators close the thread since it is not a piece of USGI equipment.

I wasn't there at the time but from what I've heard tunnel rats just used G.I. flashlights and .45 automatics.

According to the ACTIV final report of the Tunnel Exploration Kit (dated 07 January 1967), along with the standard MX-991/U flashlight, hand-held (not head-mounted) flashlights that were being utilized at the time included the "Ever Ready All-American and the Union Carbide Lamp (uses BA 200 Btry, model 108)".