Display for medals

DM1975

I am setting up a display for my Grandfathers Bronze Star and whanted to see what others thought about it. I am thinking of either having it professionally framed and matted or doing it up myself in a riker case. Either way, this is what the end result will look like. The awards in the picture are just stock photos of awards and this is just a photo mock up of it. What do you all think? (It will be bigger than this)

post-281-1192208949.jpg

I like the display and I really like the preliminary mock-up. thumbsup.gif What did you use to set it all up? Also, check Hobby Lobby, if you've got one near you. They have some great display materials available to help even the most amatuer person do a great display.

Thanks, I did it up on photoshop. I have used Hobby Lobby in the past for things and have done most of the work on my other projects myself. One good thing is I work in a museum so I get to help do stuff like this often. I am probably going to dry mount the photo, citation, and name lables to foam core and then back a riker case with black rigid felt and attach the awards to the felt.

now that's a good looking prelim display! nice work. My only suggestion might be to place the photo in the middle. That's where the eye looks first. Just a thought. Really nice display though.

Thank you, I have been thinking about your advise and I am going to play around with it some and see if I cant make it work like that, with the photo in the center.

IMPERIAL QUEST

Looks good. Here is an idea that I thought of. Click on the MS Word doc. to see the layout.

**If you happen to have a Division patch, and Sgt. chevron, you could place one over the BS Med. and the other over the write-up (on either side of the photo).

Only probelm with that is that the medal is so small in relation to how large the citation needs to be to still be readable that it would not match up. I am afraid that the area the medal would be in would be a big empty space. As for a patch or a crest, I wish I could find something like that as they are kinda rare for the 65th AFAB. I could do the chevrons though.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Only probelm with that is that the medal is so small in relation to how large the citation needs to be to still be readable that it would not match up. I am afraid that the area the medal would be in would be a big empty space. As for a patch or a crest, I wish I could find something like that as they are kinda rare for the 65th AFAB. I could do the chevrons though.

Ahhh...I thought your layout was to scale as shown, that changes everything. If you have the actual official citation, you might consider framing it separate and placing it directly under the rest of the display.

IMPERIAL QUEST
It is pretty much to scale. The medal area is smaller in width than the citation and the photo. The citation and photo are the same size.

Hmmmmmm.....have you thought of getting a matte cut to the shape you are showing, and then framing them in a riker case? You could do a single or double matt in a charcoal gray or other color that would set off the border around the riker nicely. That way, the framed areas of the matte will lend a balance to the irregular items and create a border that the eye will easily follow.

I did one like that a long time ago, and it came out surprisingly good.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Does it really look that bad?

Not at all, don't think I am criticizing - not the case - it is fine the way it is. I was just offering alternatives as I know from experience that my best work results from playing around with the arrangement for a couple of days. These are just some quick thoughts that came to mind as framing and matting are a side business for me.

IMPERIAL QUEST
I just did one like you showed me and it looks pretty good. Here it is to scale.

next-try.jpg

Looks nice. Again, please don't take my words as an indicator that I don't like yours - my mind always starts going in all direction when it comes to layouts. I love toying around with them...it is a sickness. ermm.gif

I forgot to put a smily face on that comment, I apologize. I forget that it is sometimes hard to transfer intent on line like that.:) I do appreciate the help.

IMPERIAL QUEST
I forgot to put a smily face on that comment, I apologize. I forget that it is sometimes hard to transfer intent on line like that.:) I do appreciate the help.

Nahhhh...don't worry about it, any time. I could have employed a few smilies myself. It is never too late so here goes.... thumbsup.gif;):):D:Phug.gifbye1.gifnaughty.giftwothumbup.gif

I like all the ideas posted. You guys are real artists. It is inspiring and motivates me to give some serious thought to working out some displays as well. I just lack the talent. No matter what layout you choose it will do your grandfather proud. I wish more families would charish thier history in this way. It might make collecting a bit tough but I bet we could all live with it. Look forward to seeing the final product.

DM1975 - that second layout looks sweet to me. It makes the Sergeant the real focus of attention with the medal and citation a nice complement. Nice idea Imperial Quest!

That's the kind of thing I love about this forum - plenty of ideas out there without the childish flaming that seems to happen all too often in other forums.

Great stuff DM1975 - your final display, no matter the layout you prefer, is going to look smashing!

Thanks guys, I showed it to the Household 6 and she said that she thought it was too unbalanced to her, so I am going to send both copies to my Aunt and cousin for a look-over. I am personaly torn between the two. I will have her and my cousin, who is a graphics designer look them over and make the final decision and go with them. I figure since it is her Father in the display then she should have the final say. I do appreciate all of the help.