USN Silver Star research help - John Steinbeck CO USS Gansevoort (DD-608)

bn1961

I recently aquired a WW2 USN Officer khaki coat at an auction. Here is a pic of his awards. I am trying to find info on how he got the higher awards. Names is John Steinbeck. I have very little info on him. He is from California. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-546-1192208709.jpg

I recently aquired a WW2 USN Officer khaki coat at an auction. Here is a pic of his awards. I am trying to find info on how he got the higher awards. Names is John Steinbeck. I have very little info on him. He is from California. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I checked my WWII USN Silver Star roster and couldnt find him. It is not 100% complete though.

Kurt

John M. Steinbeck graduated from the US Naval Academy in 1933 . The USNA Register of Alumni confirms the SS/BS and Commendation Ribbon. as of 1963 he was a Capt living in Albuquerque NM . He was appointed from Massachusetts .

During the battle of Tarawa he commanded the USS Gansevoort (DD-608) as a Lieut. Comdr. He was still in command of the same ship all the way up to the Battle of Leyte in 1944 .

Nice blouse .

If you get bored with it, keep me in mind .

Kurt

John M. Steinbeck graduated from the US Naval Academy in 1933 . The USNA Register of Alumni confirms the SS/BS and Commendation Ribbon. as of 1963 he was a Capt living in Albuquerque NM . He was appointed from Massachusetts .

During the battle of Tarawa he commanded the USS Gansevoort (DD-608) as a Lieut. Comdr. He was still in command of the same ship all the way up to the Battle of Leyte in 1944 .

Nice blouse .

If you get bored with it, keep me in mind .

Kurt

I appreciate the info. I will keep that with the blouse and hopefully find more along the way.

Cheers, Brian