The most poignant scene.

patches

kjones5452

The Pacific.

When Snafu goes over and comforts Sledge when he reads in the letter that his dog died. It's surprising and touching at the same time because you're thinking that with the type of personality he had that Snafu would

be incapable of that type of gesture.

Linedoggie

Dick Winters Grandpa were you a hero? clip gets me every time

Thats and believe it or not a Budweiser commercial

Only because that actually happened to me in the Atlanta airport in Feb 2005, I wasn't expecting that

Here is my one of my choices.

Pork Chop Hill, it's the scene with George Peppard and Harry Guardino. Peppard plays Cpl Chuck Fedderson, Guardino, Pfc Forstman. The two are a machine gun team, they clearly have served togther for quite awhile and as a result as would be the case, have become the closest of friends, Buddies. Fedderson although a Corporal to Forstman's rank of Pfc seems to be the younger of the two. It's a little past the midway point during the fighting when the team is moving forward again and you see that Fedderson has stumbled, he is kneeling where he fell and is rubbing his knee. Forstman turns back and sees this and yells HURRY UP LETS GO! LETS GO!, Fedderson gets up and starts to move out again, second's later incoming starts coming in, Fedderson dives into a collapsed bunker, a millisecond later the bunker receives a direct hit.Forstman gets up and moves out as it appears that it'just harrasing fire, he turns to see that Feddrson is not behind him , he calls out for him as he scans the area, he then spots a smoldering bunker and runs over to it.

What follows I Believe is among of most powerful scenes in a war picture.

Forstman kneeling at the hole call's out Chuck's name, once, than twice, he kneels deeper into the hole and starts to move things away uncovering Fedderson and touches him, we see Forstman bring his hand up covered in blood, Forstman recoils in horror at the sight and letting out a cry and suddenly realises that his buddy is dead he knows he's dead and starts to mutter over and over again I'M SORRY CHUCK!.....I'M SORRY CHUCK....I'M SORRY CHUCK!. We only see Fedderson split fatique pants leg among the rubble, but the look on Forstman's face as he frantically continues to move debris away sobbing and muttering we know that its not a pretty sight (a direct, or near direct impact of a Soviet 82MM or 120MM mortar would be horrific). Just then LT Clemmons their CO happens by and runs over, he pauses and looks down taking it all in and reflecting for a moment, he knows that Forstman and Fedderson are close, Clemmons as well has to deal with another one of his men being killed. He sees that Forstman hysterical, and trys to bring him around. Forstman now realises Chuck is gone but tell's Clemmons HE WILL NOT LEAVE HIM!. Clemmons say lets go realising that Forstman is cracking up, and that also both Forstman and Himself are in danger of getting hit themselves. Clemmons starts to get heavy with him, but Forstman wont get up, Clemmons then pull's him up and Forstman in a almost sympatictic attempt to get Clemmons to let him stay, says I'M NOT GOING TO LEAVE HIM SIR, HE'S MY BUDDY! With that line you can't help but get choked up. Forstman, at Clemmons continued urging snaps out of it, and after a very brief talk with Forstman and getting him focused again by giving him a misson picks himself up as Clemmons moves on and leaves the area, he turns looking back and yell's in despair I TOLD YOU TO HURRY UP DIDN'T I......DIDN'T I?......YEAH....YEAH! and doubletimes away over a rise crying.

In this small scene about a battle among many battles you see portrayed in this one incident something that encompasses all the emotion's brought about the by the combat death of a comrade. The revulsion, followed by fear, despair, anguish, and anger, and ultimately the feeling that nothing will ever be good or the same again. The psychological problems that might arise from it also becomes apparent. True, although I did serve in the Army as a Infantryman, I served at a time when we at peace and I was not called upon to serve in combat, still I can reflect as a intelligent and thoughtful man in what it is like to be in that kind of position, as a grunt I always knew that it might of been me.

Since it is a movie about Korea, I often thought about Korean combat veterans, as well as WWII vets who would assuredly seen this movie when it first came out in the theater in 1959, and what their feelings were when they seen this scene, and later Vietnam vets who came home and watched it on T.V. even though they seen it before, now it having a different aspect. I can't imagine anyone of them not being affected by this one small scene. In many ways the reason why the scene moves me so and I choke up when I see it, is that I think many times about the guy's who did in fact lose Buddies in Korea and WWII and later in Vietnam (and now currently in the Middle East), and the pain that that memories brings. The honest and sincere and gut-wrenching performance by Harry Guardino will always be one of most poignant scenes for me in a War Film.

jkash23686
Dick Winters Grandpa were you a hero? clip gets me every time

Thats and believe it or not a Budweiser commercial

Only because that actually happened to me in the Atlanta airport in Feb 2005, I wasn't expecting that

That gets me every time I see it too.

-j

bratwurstdimsum

The scene in the Pacific episode VI where the radio man was been hit just about everywhere but is still trying to radio in for help, his buddies look at him and he knows he’s dead from their look but he goes on anyway until his head just lolls over.

I know its not an original but the power doing your job no matter what gets me every time.

p.s. Its worth mentioning that maybe it feels real and powerful because I was an extra on this show and its a bitter irony that my Japanese colleague extras were shooting at this guy from the second floor of the airfield building. Amazing how the unreal can feel real and moving...

Any and all movies where the actual Vet is talking and starts getting choked up about his buddies. This gets me everytime, actually takes me a few minutes to wrestle the emotions into submission.

hbtcoveralls

Breaker Morant, Just before the firing squad fires and Brian Brown hollars "Shoot straight 'ya Bastards" Wow.

Tom Bowers

Breaker Morant, Just before the firing squad fires and Brian Brown hollars "Shoot straight 'ya Bastards" Wow.

Tom Bowers

there is an even more poingnat part at the end. it's when the two start the walk out to the chair's and you see them hold each others hand. i thought that was very touching.

A less than funny story about that... when I went to see "We Were Soldiers" (after having read the book), there were a group of foreign exchange student sitting behind me. I have no idea what their command of English was, and I think they were just there for the combat scenes. During the slow parts they tended to start talking among themselves.

When one of the wives was being informed that her husband had been lost, a couple of them were sharing a joke and were laughing. I'm quite sure they were not laughing at the scene in the movie, but I about lost it. I realized that whatever I would have said to them would have been lost on them, and probably would have been more disruptive to those sitting around me. So I just sat there and steamed...they settled down after a bit, but I had trouble concentrating on the rest of the film.

I know what you mean, Athough i think the movie saving pvt ryan was just alot hyped up crap. I do state that it's only saving grace was the landing scene,But even there it had it moment's, like the navy beach party sailor who laying next to hanks and after giving instruction's sevaral time's to him, turn's and see's that he that he's dead with his whole face scouped out, now you know if a man got hit with such a large projectile and or such a large piece of scrapnell that could cause that sort of damage he would'nt be laying in the same position or place that he was hit, his body if his head was still attached would have moved away at least a bit dont you think. just another example of some one not thing things through.They could of made the scence more realistic with hank's turning and seeing him no longer next to him but seeing him a little further down below him with that horrific wound.After the beach scene, i just thought it was mostly noncense. Im sure there are some out there in forum land who will agree and some who will not. In any event landing sequince was overall a gritty realistic depiction of an amphibious landing aganst a will defended beach, aganst an enemy armed with modern weapons. nothing has been portrayed in that scope ever before, not even the marine corps pacific movie's,inexample the sands of iwo jima.BUT to get to reason i replied i was in the theater in manhatten, thats NY NY.when i first seen it and there where 20 somthings in front of me. they where ether stoned or just a product of there generation or both, but they repetedly laughed throughout the opening scene, laughing at everything, it was infureating. But what are you going to say, no doubt with the type of mentality these moron's had they most likely would of ganged -up on me it's happened before. Like when schindler's list first came out and a group of student's of a certain minority group and went to a thearter in manhatten when they where taken on a "class trip" to see it.they where laughing and yelling out comments through out. The teacher's apperently having no control at all . a riot insued when serveral other patron's having heard enough told the all where to get off. it maded the the paper's that for sure.Especialy the the stabbing of one female movie goer who was called a J.. B.... So i know exactly where your coming from. And it's a shame.

Several scenes during "The Court Marshal of Eddie Slovak". :crying:

This movie . it's a TV movie i know. is it out now on DVD.

Jack's Son

I was in error, the Correct name of the movie is...."The Execution of Private Slovik"

I did not see it released as a DVD.

SPR - the knife fight when Ptv. Mellish is killed.

Non-military - the end of Brian's song.

On brian's song i seen it on tv when it first came out. In the fall of 1971 i just also happened to be in my first season of pop warner football (midgits). our coach's(all young vietnam vets incidently) inseisted, nay ordered that we all watch it. I guess every one of my teamate's did i as we all, including the coach's discussed it, the coach's being old enough to actually have remembered when brian piccolo played. and when he died.For a little boy of 10 it was a movie that i as yet di'nt fully understand at the time.It at the time it was a stiring football movie that meant doggedness ,teamwork , giving it your all and all that good stuff. Years later when i seen it on tv when i was older did i understand. I am allways moved by the scene in which mr's piccolo and gale sayers go to the hospital to vist brian, but before they go up she ask's gale to vist a liittle girl in the childrens ward that want's to meet him very badly. mr's piccolo having visted the ward many times and has become friends with the little girl.The girl as we find out has cancer, cancer athough no doubt of a different type her husband has , has made her very concernd about this child. When she and sayers approch the desk for the chidrens ward and she says to the nurse hi im mr's piccolo and this is mr gale sayers and where here to see (i do not remember the girl's name regettably)she would love to meet him, the nurse replies oh im sorry she died a few hours ago, and with that mr's piccolo smliling face turn to one of shock and despair and she begin's to faint. This actually happened, as i read about it some time ago. in real life mr's piccolo actually fainted dead out taking gale sayers almost offguard, he just barely was able to grab her before she hit the deck. so when ever a see the movie and it is one of the greats iam allways moved by that scene . they made a remake of it but ijust watched only a bit of it. There is only one brian's song.

kristoffer

I have a couple scenes that comes to mind.

The ending scene in band of brothers, which have been mentioned before in this thread.

The third episode of Band of Brothers when tipper gets badly hurt after taking carentan and Liebgott is comforting him.

And the last episode of the pacific when you get to follow Sledge trying to adapt to civilian life.

I recall two scenes that moved me when I saw it, Sledge trying to sleep but have nightmares and his dad´s standing outside his door and when Sledge and his dad are going to hunt and he breaks down..

There are relatively few movie's out there that have trully powerfull and moving scene's. But two scene's from two different movies come to mind that for me are very moving and poignant and bring's a tear to eye and a lump to my throat . Tell me your's and i'll tell you mine.

My second scene would be the the one from god's and general, when jackson, upon hearing of the death of the little girl he had befriened and was increidably fond of. i will elaborate if you what to comment on this profound true event.

"Gettysburg" following Pickett's Charge......I don't know how anyone watching that film could not have an emotional response to that scene. It chokes me up everytime I see it....much like visiting the actual battlefield in Pennsylvania.

kriegsmodell

I have been watching this thread for quite a bit as I have found the responses interesting and insightful. So I guess I will post mine:

Military: All Quiet on the Western Front (any version) - When the Soldat reaches out from the trench for the butterfly and is killed.

Non Military: My Dog Skip - When the German spies crack Skip on the head with a shovel and it looks as if he is going to die ...... and then later when he does ......

My dad told me once that when he went to see the Deer Hunter when it came out in the theater that when it ended everyone in the place was in tears. I was to young at the time to fully understand what he was talking about until I was older and went and saw Platoon for the first time in the theater. It had the same effect on people because when it ended the whole place was in tears including myself.

The end when Chris is flying out in the chopper crying, it was a pretty emotional scene.

"Gettysburg" following Pickett's Charge......I don't know how anyone watching that film could not have an emotional response to that scene. It chokes me up everytime I see it....much like visiting the actual battlefield in Pennsylvania.

Most defintly, the scene BEFORE the attack where lee moves among the troops and AFTER the attack. Did you know that martin sheen who did a excellent portrayal of robert e lee was lambasted by his liberal friend's for taking on that role. Particually after his sincere and faithfull performance got to to be known and appeciated among historian's and civil war buff's . I got this from a hollywood insider ( A lady friend if you know what i mean...WINK....WINK), she worked for the studio that put it out . I was living in LA at the time and it was at the time god's and general's had come out in the theater's .When i told her that i might go and see it(I never did , i first seen it when it was released on vhs .) Our conversation over the phone then turned to gettysburg. One thing i mentioned that it was to bad that martin sheen was not reprising his role as robert e lee, and then that's when she told me about it( Bearing in mind that she is of NOT of the liberal mind set); oh she said, he got all this flack did you know, why did you do it? blah....blah ..... one thing she said was the liberal elite said he made lee out to be a great man(like was'nt he a great man allready?) and perpetuated the popularity of lee in the south , thing's of that nature.Lee is in the patheon of geat american's and real american's even to this day have great respect for him . Even in the old union northern states from maine to iowa consieder him in high regard, even as the wound's started to heal after the war As you know lee has been a favorite target of the left for year's. Indeed they must have flabbergasted by sheen portrayal , particiualy the scene before pickett's charge, when he ride's out among the the virginian's, their true to history response was overwhelming , and they hated to see that depicted, im sure in there view, shouting confederate red neck's going HERE"S LEE! HERE"S LEE! and crowding around him to touch but the hem of his coat was unbearable to watch. These are the same indivduals who invited acmadinijade to speak at columbia university here in new york, and would be guaranteed to wale and scream , and protest, if there was to be a disertion on robert e lee given to an assembly. When god's and general's was being layed out for prodution, sheen said please do not consider me for lee's role, and thats ashame because in my and many other's estimationhe did a great job.And thus robert duvall took up the role . In closing, are they going to do the final chapter of the triolgy? I hope they do it and do it soon. Jeff Daniels is getting old , he might be by the time they make it too old . Chamberlin is his role, he is joshua chamberlin, i would hate to see anyone but him playing it.

I have been watching this thread for quite a bit as I have found the responses interesting and insightful. So I guess I will post mine:

Military: All Quiet on the Western Front (any version) - When the Soldat reaches out from the trench for the butterfly and is killed.

Non Military: My Dog Skip - When the German spies crack Skip on the head with a shovel and it looks as if he is going to die ...... and then later when he does ......

herr kriegsmodell, go to the all quite on the western front topic , it's a new one i started and it's just taking off, as for me i have yet to give my disertion. But stand by.

Collector5516
In Band of Brothers at the end when the real Dick Winters tells the story about his grandson asking him if he was a hero. "No, but I served in a company of them." Gulp!

This is one of the two that comes to my mind. The other is from the movie Glory. When the 54th is marching towards the beach between two columns of white troops and the white troops yell "Give em hell 54!" Gets me every time.