The most poignant scene.

patches

ABrangerjoe
It saddened me to see them all gunned down with the cute barmaid in the unrelated shootout with the Gestapo major and the Brits.

same here!

The scene early in "Saving Private Ryan" when the staff car is driving the long road to the mothers house to inform her of her sons deaths. The long drive part of the scene may have been for movie effect, but the actual informing part on the porch at the front door reminds me of my experience doing that duty. It was June 1989- I had the Chaplain with me , the mother collapsed at the front door on her porch. A year later I informed a 19 year old of her husbands death. That one was associated with the fire on the USS Midway (CV-41) in June 1990. Both of those were in peacetime and even before the first war in the Gulf region, but death of a loved one still hits hard and making the notification and working with the families carries its own stress.

I'm with you on this scene. It gets to me every time. All kinds of emotions come up. I don't know why specifically, I just find it so real and can just imagine how many times it happened like that during that era.

In Band of Brothers at the end when the real Dick Winters tells the story about his grandson asking him if he was a hero. "No, but I served in a company of them." Gulp!

This one gets me every time too.

The opening theme to Band of Brothers. For those of you who may not have known, there are words to the music. By far the best rendition of this is by Kathrine Jenkins and can be heard here:

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?e...;sigs=11a0plfsb

The Lyrics to Requiem for a Soldier:

You never lived to see

What you gave to me

One shining dream of hope and love

Life and liberty

With a host of brave unknown soldiers

For your company you will live forever

Here in our memory

In fields of sacrifice

Heroes paid the price

Young men who died for old men's wars

Gone into paradise

We are all one great band of brothers

And one day you'll see we can live together

When all the world is free

I wish you'd lived to see

All you gave to me

Your shining dream of hope and love

Life and liberty

We are all one great band of brothers

And one day you'll see - we can live together

When all the world is free

I dare every man jack of ya to listen and not shed a tear. Try to remember the context of this music not as the theme to the band of brothers, but as the thanks of a people to the heros, long dead, who helped liberate Europe.

Thanks mpguy. I'm one that did not know there were words. The music and words seem to be fitting for memorial services for families and vets. Kind of reminds me of the Navy hymn "Eternal Father" that has had several verses added over the years for all the branches of service.

Lucky 7th Armored

Justin, the video you posted was very touching and sad.. I sure hope he is resting in peace now, finally..

I dont think this scene has been posted before, but the one in We Were Soldiers, IIRC, a napalm strike was dropped on a group of GIs and Col. Moore witnessed the whole thing. Seeing his own men burn before him by a friendly airstrike... and one of the burn victims whose face seemed like a burnt marshmellow was just talking about how his wife had a baby right before the strike and he gets taken away in the helicopter crying and screaming about his baby...

I havent seen the movie in years, (i found the DVD case but the DVD was not in it, of course) so if that is inaccurate by any means someone please correct me!

Haydn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
PETER HENDRIKX

I'd also say the scene in "Saving Private Ryan" where his mother is told that three of her sons are killed in action. Before they reach her porch she sits down on the floor, expecting bad news. Very touching scene.

Another touching scene is from the movie "Midnight Clear". Although this movie is fictional it is a gem of a movie and worth watching. I found the scene where the GI's cleanse the body of their slain comrade very touching. The idea behind it, that they wanted him buried in perfect condition, is very touching.

Peter Hendrikx

www.heroesatmargraten.com

• 1 month later...
BigDogMilitaria

Not really a movie, but a documentary. "Letters Home from Vietnam". It almost gets me every time at the part they play the Tim Buckley song, "Once I Was". If you haven't seen it, you should. Just the looks on these guys faces tells it all.

Letters Home

The one that always gets me is towards the end of "Shenandoah" with Jimmy Stewart when he and what's left of his family enter the church. Major lump in the throat every time.

Terry

Mine too :thumbsup:

Here's the Youtube clip.

Bryan

In Band of Brothers at the end when the real Dick Winters tells the story about his grandson asking him if he was a hero. "No, but I served in a company of them." Gulp!

Ditto on that!! :crying:

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe someone said this already but in Rambo first Blood part 1 where Rambo breaks down infront of his commander.

This scene p!$$ed me off that this happened at one time to the soldiers when they came back from Nam but in Rambo First Blood part 2 in the end of the movie how his commander says

[last lines]

Trautman: John where are you going?

Rambo: I don't know.

Trautman: You'll get a second medal of honor for this.

[Rambo looks over at the rescued POWs]

Rambo: You should give it to them. They deserve it more.

Trautman: You don't belong here, why don't you come back with me?

Rambo: Back to what? My friends died here, let me die here.

Trautman: The war, the whole conflict may have been wrong but damn it don't hate your country for it.

Rambo: Hate? I'd die for it.

Trautman: Then what is it you want?

Rambo: I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!

Trautman: How will you live, John?

Rambo: Day by day.

Another good one that is very powerful and leaves you a bit stunned when the credits roll is, "The Pianist". It ranks up there with "Schindler's List".

Two thumbs up for this one.

Greg

A lot of the scenes already mentioned really get me but here are a couple that haven't been mentioned that hit me no matter how many times I see them.

The scene from "Rough Riders" where they are loading the train for Florida to depart for Cuba and the band is playing Gary Owen and as the train travels through the south the Confederate Veterans turn out to salute the soldiers going to war. One boy says to his Grandpa (who is in Confederate uniform) "look Grandpa they are Yankees" and the Grandpa replies "No son, they're Americans".

While not a movie, the scene from the TV show The Unit at Hector Williams funeral where they conduct the Final Roll Call.

Blackhawk Down.......too many to list.

There is a scene in "Hamburger Hill" that always get to me. It's where they load up and fly in the helicopters on the way to the combat assault as "We Gotta Get Outta This Place" plays in the background. It really contrasts how peaceful the trip to the battlefield was versus the reality of hitting the ground. You see how casual the veterans are versus the nervousness of the new guys on their first assault. Since they are just passengers with nothing to do, they each just pass the time in their own way as they prepare to land and meet the enemy. One of the guys chews gum, some of the new guys constantly adjust their equipment while the platoon sergeant smirks at them and just stares out the helicopter at the ground below. My father served in Vietnam in the same area as Hamburger Hill. I don't know where they filmed this but it looks just like his pictures.

Another is the airborne landings from "A Bridge Too Far". The images with the soaring music is almost like a ballet. It just amazes me to think what those guys must have been thinking as they were loading into those planes and then as they jumped out into the sky not knowing what was waiting for them on the ground.

Has anyone mentioned the scene in We were Expendable, where the old repair yard onder Pop sits waiting for the Japanese to arrive with a rifle, and a jug as he watches the crews leave?

You know he isnt going to be interned or sent to a prison camp

Fixbayonets!

Another one I think deserves mention is a scene from The Fighting Sullivans - The father, after learning he lost all five of his sons, heads off to work & boards his train. He waves at the empty tower where his boys used to gather everyday to see him off to work.

Rob

Another one I think deserves mention is a scene from The Fighting Sullivans - The father, after learning he lost all five of his sons, heads off to work & boards his train. He waves at the empty tower where his boys used to gather everyday to see him off to work.

Rob

Yes that was a throat tightning one, for me it's when the officer enters, the father knows why he has come and he asks WHICH ONE ? whereas the officer is compelled to reply ALL OF THEM, the stunned and shocked look followed by utter despair has to be one that would affect any decent normal person.

Yes that was a throat tightning one, for me it's when the officer enters, the father knows why he has come and he asks WHICH ONE ? whereas the officer is compelled to reply ALL OF THEM, the stunned and shocked look followed by utter despair has to be one that would affect any decent normal person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tMApnwSNmQ

My most poignant scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZVmWVNZvtI...feature=related

It is from La Vita è Bella. (Life is Beautiful) It occurs right before the Allies come to liberate the concentration camp. Until the end, the father pretended that the war, the concentration camp, etc. was just a game... all for the love, safety and sanity of his young son.

I've only seen this movie once. But this scene always sticks out in my mind.

The end of the movie "Stalingrad" from 1993 was sad, but its the truth.

In every war dying soldiers. Its hard but its truth. This was a soldiers life.

Greetings

Stefan