Rolled the dice on a USN MK2

Cal30M1

Rolled a 7!

Here's the pic from ePay.

KGrHqRk4E2D8G8L2PBNtkNWgcew_3.jpg

I think most thought the braids were filling in the missing washers. I could see the top washers peeking out and I could see the thick pommel so I rolled the dice for a whopping $43.00 and got lucky. (I think)

Blade had been sharpened but all in all I like it AND I got an original Boyt 43 sheath to boot!

And here's the knife in hand.

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Jack's Son
Rolled a 7!

Here's the pic from ePay.

KGrHqRk4E2D8G8L2PBNtkNWgcew_3.jpg

I think most thought the braids were filling in the missing washers. I could see the top washers peeking out and I could see the thick pommel so I rolled the dice for a whopping $43.00 and got lucky. (I think)

Blade had been sharpened but all in all I like it AND I got an original Boyt 43 sheath to boot!

If you wanted a nice, unique and been there look, then you got it all!!

It's a great looking knife, and the "real knife" guys will love it.

Nice addition. :thumbsup:

(sorry to be the first post)

Lucky 7th Armored

I would pay 43.00 for that all day! Well done, and very unique i like it!

Haydn

Thanks Guys. I was looking for a sheath for a later WWII Camillus MK2 for my boy.

He got the repro sheath and I get this one all to myself.

I've seen loose sheaths go for far more than $43 bucks so I'm a happy camper!

It's a keeper.

Forgot to ask.

Anyone ever seen this decorative knot on a GI knife before?

Looks like all cotton cord and it's been there for a while.

Kinda wanting to see the the handle underneath. :huh:

I think they call it a turks head knot. The cotton cord and that knot show up from time to time with things that have been around sailors from the WW2 period. I had something similar on a Waterman knife at one time.

bayonetman
Forgot to ask.

Here is mine on a Cattaraugus 225Q carried by a Tank Recovery Vehicle driver who went ashore on Utah Beach on D+1. As sactroop said, these were popular with Navy guys.

Cat2.jpg

I've seen the knots on knives attributed to the CBs (or SeaBees), the Naval Construction Battalions.

By the way, I tracked this on eBay, but figuring it would go for a good amount, went after another Mk2. Getting this one was most certainly a good deal.

I had a feeling this was done by a bored sailor.

It will remain as found!

Glad you pounced on another blade Bro. I like this one!

Still-A-Marine
Forgot to ask.

Here is one of my USMC Noumia - New Caledonia knives with the knot in question. Bill

post-4347-1305680683.jpg

post-4347-1305680696.jpg

Here is another example of sailor's rope work. My uncle was in the Merchant Marine in WWII. This was an Italian bayonet that was picked up in a stop at an Italian port. One of the seamen on my uncles ship die the macrame and turk's head knot work. While at sea, seamen devised hundreds of knots for a variety of shipboard and personal uses. As a salty old saying goes, a sailor made "a long splice for every ship and a short splice for himself." The macrame was painted to keep the knife from rusting. My Uncle bought the knife from the sailor who made it and used the knife during the War.

Dick

post-9487-1305741976.jpg

Great stuff guys!

The work on this thing is amazing. I can barely tie my boots!

Any ideas on cleaning this up a bit? I used a soft brush to get the clumps of green gunk off the sheath and knots but the knots are pretty grungy.

Jack's Son
.............Any ideas on cleaning this up a bit?............. and knots but the knots are pretty grungy.

Use that same (Clean) brush with a bit of 'Woolite', repeat if needed.

I really like that Turk's Head Knot on those knives.

I learned to tie many different functional knots in my youth. I later got into tying decorative knots using 550 cord, as a productive pastime.

In Book of Knots, a widely referenced book by Clifford W. Ashley, he states:

"There is no knot with a wider field of usefulness. A Turk's-Head is generally found on the 'up-and-down' [king] spoke of a ship's steering wheel, so that a glance will tell if the helm is amidship. It provides a foothold on footropes and a handhold on manropes, [boarding nets], yoke ropes, gymnasium climbing ropes, guardrails, and lifelines. it serves instead of whipping and seizing. It is employed as a gathering hoop on ditty bags, neckerchiefs and bridle reins. Tied in rattan, black whalebone or stiff fishline, it makes a useful napkin ring, and it is often worn by racing crews in 'one-design classes' as a bracelet or anklet. It will cover loose ends in sinnets and splices. It furnishes a handgrip on fishing rods, archery bows, and vaulting poles. It will stiffen sprung vaulting poles, fishing rods, spars and paddles. On a pole or rope it will raise a bole big enough to prevent a hitch in another rope from slipping. On edged tools it makes an excellent hand guard..." [Emphasis/additions mine.]

Any ideas on cleaning this up a bit?

Other than that cursory dry-brushing, I would personally leave the rest of accumulated wear and grime on the knotting, as is. I honestly believe that it adds to the overall appearance.

Also, wetting it down with detergent solution/water, at this point, could invite deterioration.