WW1 USMC DEVIL DOG PAINTED HELMET

Belleauwood

suwanneetrader

As my 4 year old Grandson would say "WOW WOW". I've got a question from other comments. When and why did Disney decorate helmets and what is and what does it do "Bic #4" ? Thanks again for showing a helmet I can dream about. Richard

Belleauwood
I'd love to see a before picture!

Here are some "before pics. You can clearly see the grime in the rough grain of the original finish. While it not not my intent to bring to "as new", it is my intent to preserve and stabilize. Opinions vary, and there has been much discussion on this forum about preservation. Most, if not all the preservation on these helmets would go un-noticed by the observer unless I told them. These stuff I use to revive the paint is not tacky, sticky or discolor over time and is water soluble.

post-3422-1305371947.jpgpost-3422-1305372065.jpg

I've never seen a finer helmet, truly outstanding :bravo: I also think you did right to preserve it like you did. Looks to me like down the road the paint would have started to go around the brim if you hadn't , well done.

Mike

I've never seen a finer helmet, truly outstanding :bravo: I also think you did right to preserve it like you did. Looks to me like down the road the paint would have started to go around the brim if you hadn't , well done.

Mike

My thoughts exactly!! That helmet is a beauty!

-Johannes

Lucky 7th Armored

Simply amazing! I think the preservation was needed as well! Job well done, now time to sit back and just stare at it!! ;)

Haydn

This is by far one of the finest pieces of M1917 art work that I've ever seen. Your preserving technique, while not what I normally ascribe to, has without a doubt, brought back the true color and look to this beauty. So much so, that you have me rethinking a couple of my own helmets. :think:

This is a new addition to the Belleauwood Museum! - These photos are after cleaning and a liberal application of Bic No. 4. This piece was painted over the original heavy cork/sand finish and had 90 years of what appeared to be well adhered dust and grime in every nook and crevice. The Bulldog portion exhibited sever paint loss and had some loose flakes that are now somewhat stabilized with treatment. Hope you enjoy!

DJ

post-3422-1305295294.jpg

Well Dennis, my mouth actually fell open when I saw this helmet! Art museums don't know what they are missing when they don't include this type of work. Just incredible!

You mentioned using Bic No. 4; What is that? A stabilizer?

Once again, another beautiful addition to the museum!

KevinBeyer

I don't collect helmets of any kind, but this one, to me, might be the cream of the crop. You did an outstanding job of cleaning and preserving it. With and example like this, how could you find any better?

Congratulations!

Kevin

BigJohn#3RD

It is just GREAT :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

John