General Malin Craig, US Army (1875-1945)

Gldank

Is it possible to see close up of the medals and ribbons from the foreign countries?

The Ecuador Order of Abdon Calderon. and ribbons?

4starchris

Better late than never. Mini Medal bar:

post-1837-1276525517.jpg

Phenomenal thread! I've learned a boatload here in reading through this and the items that you are curating are beyond measure, simply fabulous! Thanks for updating this thread for us.

Stunning, just stunning. What a great collection you have here.

4starchris

Thank you! I will take some pictures of the Ecuador Order of Abdon Calderon and post them tonight.

SOmeone asked earlier about the wearing of the large Chief of Staff badge -- MacArthur had it designed and wore it -- he may have been the only one to do so. I do have a pic of Charles Summerall, MacArthur's predecessor, wearing one -- AFTER he retired when he headed The Citadel. (Note that he wore an essentially obsolete uniform in the pic -- with US and GS collar insignia reversed!)

G

Summerall__Small_.jpg

Very interesting! The first ones were probably well made in silver or maybe gold before they were mass produced. I am sure the period items are very rare. Thanks for sharing.

SOmeone asked earlier about the wearing of the large Chief of Staff badge -- MacArthur had it designed and wore it -- he may have been the only one to do so. I do have a pic of Charles Summerall, MacArthur's predecessor, wearing one -- AFTER he retired when he headed The Citadel. (Note that he wore an essentially obsolete uniform in the pic -- with US and GS collar insignia reversed!)

G

Brian Dentino

James,

Just an amazing collection from the general! Probably one of the most complete that I have ever seen! Truly a slice of history from the pre-WWII era that is about as complete as one could ever hope to see, let alone have in a collection. Just beautiful foreign awards! Thanks for sharing with us here!

Gil, I went back and looked through all my 8X10 photos of General Craig thinking I may see a Chief of Staff badge but could not find one. On February 25, 1938 Gen. Craig appeared at the President's White House reception for Army and Navy officials attired in his new midnight blue and gold dress uniform. If he had the badge, I am sure he would have worn it here displaying the new General Uniform for the first time.

post-1837-1276895458.jpg

Thank you very much Brian! I also have an early Viet Nam Airborne (Glider Pin holder) group of a Black LTCOL.

James,

Just an amazing collection from the general! Probably one of the most complete that I have ever seen! Truly a slice of history from the pre-WWII era that is about as complete as one could ever hope to see, let alone have in a collection. Just beautiful foreign awards! Thanks for sharing with us here!

• 12 years later...

This General Malin Craig collection now resides in The Leaders Heroes and Legends Archives and Museum in Ft Worth, TX for all to see.