Vietnam Era Uniform Finds

w10085

I picked up a slant pocket jacket with pants. Everything is in well used condition but the patches have been removed. It's a shame becuase they look like they were good patches. Can someone help me figure out what was originally there. It looks like it had a 173rd Airborne Regiment or similar patch. What was above it? Were there jump wings on the front? The name on the jacket is "Throwbridge". The set is well worn but has the "been there" look! Also I have a pair of tigerstripe pants. These look like commercial pants. Could these have been used in VN or are the just duck hunting pants? I'm going to keep the jacket but any idea on the vaue of the pants? Thanks!

post-8275-1304992400.jpg

post-8275-1304992507.jpg

History Man

it had a Ranger scroll on the top of the AB regiment patch. i think it had coth jump wings on top of the US Army patch. hope this helps :thumbsup:i dont know much about pants but they look commercial to me as they dont have any tags indicating military use.

it had a Ranger scroll on the top of the AB regiment patch. i think it had coth jump wings on top of the US Army patch. hope this helps :thumbsup:i dont know much about pants but they look commercial to me as they dont have any tags indicating military use.

Thanks for the info. Would these be full color patches or subdued? I'm normally a WWII and earlier collector so I'm not up on VN time frame.

Looks more like the jacket had a Combat Infantry Badge above the tape.The scroll could be a LRRP/Ranger scroll.Could be a Security or Dog Handler etc.Hard to say as the scroll was pretty generic and could have anything sewn in for a unit designation.Patch out line could be 199th,173rd etc.

The tigers are commercially produced pattern post war.

RD

For reffereance this is a typical badge set up on a jacjet I own.Man was with SF/JCRS.Note the size of the CIB in relation to the jump wings.Only other badge that is close in size to the CIB is the aviators/ crew wings

Hope this helps

RD

post-342-1304995163.jpg

It looks more like one of the infantry brigades (not regiment) other than the 173rd-- 11th, 196th, 198th, 199th.

airborne1968

I don't think the fatigue shirt belonged to an airborne unit at all. Even the 196th Inf Bde (which the patch looks like it could be) had a scroll in the same shap for their heavy weapons platoon. I concur the badge is likely a CIB.

seanmc1114

Sometimes if the removed patch had been there a long time, you can see a faint impression of whatever was on the patch under where it was positioned that might help you identify the unit. Kind of like the image on the Shroud Of Turin.

I doubt the patch was 173rd Airborne for the reason that that brigade was on jump status its entire time in Vietnam and it would be odd to find anyone assigned to the 173rd wearing a scroll patch without jump wings also. It could have been from a member of the brigade's Scout Dog Platoon though.

However, my guess is that the missing shoulder sleeve patch is the 196th Infantry Brigade and the scroll was either the brigade's LLRP detachment or Scout Dog Platoon. Many LRRPs in non-airborne units were not jump qualified. If you look at the pictures you will notice the jacket has the shoulder straps and covered pocket buttons of a second pattern jungle jacket. These were most common through 1966 and were mostly phased out by the third pattern jackets in 1967. The 196th was in Vietnam in early 1966 while the 199th didn't arrive until December 1966 and the 11th and 198th didn't arrive until Fall 1967.

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the 11th and 198th patches were worn as shoulder sleeve insignia in Vietnam but instead were worn on the right pocket of jungle jackets while the Americal Division patch was worn on the left sleeve.

Obviously this is just speculation based on the clues we have, but my gut tells me it was a CIB above the U.S. Army tape with a 196th Infantry Brigade SSI below either a LRRP or more likely a Scout Dog Platoon scroll.