LOW COST DISPLAY CASES

BEAST

OK, here is something I am experimenting with. We see these at every flea market and garage sale, people happy to get rid of them at a cheap price.

post-203-1192067586.jpg

But what is an aquarium? It is nothing but an eight sided box that is clear on seven of those sides. Once they are cleaned, they are perfect for a display case. Aquariums come in various sizes and usually the sellers only want a couple of dollars for them. Here are a couple examples of how they can be used. NOTE: Since I am still experimenting, I have not closed one side. A coloured background could be used or you could cut a mirror down to reflect one side.

post-203-1192067614.jpg

post-203-1192067625.jpg

post-203-1192067634.jpg

post-203-1192067645.jpg

So, what do you think? I would like to hear your opinions (good or bad) and suggestions.

Heck, why not?

Perfect for large items. In the case of the one with the helmet, I would suggest something below the head form. This would raise the form and the helmet, and take up some of that distracting space that is above it.

Also, some cloth along the bottom would take away from the rather "cold" look that the steel frame and glass provides. Right now, these look a bit antiseptic.

Heck, why not?

Perfect for large items. In the case of the one with the helmet, I would suggest something below the head form. This would raise the form and the helmet, and take up some of that distracting space that is above it.

I agree that something is need to take up that space. I was thinking of using the space above the helmet for a photo showing the item in use or a descriptive paragraph.

Also, some cloth along the bottom would take away from the rather "cold" look that the steel frame and glass provides. Right now, these look a bit antiseptic.

Good idea!

Very smart thinking, I'll try to pick up a few of these for some of my displays. It's amazing what kind of everyday object one can use to suit their needs.

What a great idea, necessity, the mother of invention! I have never given the 100's of aquariums that I see in sales a second look but, I will now. Well, I'm off to the weekend rummage sales! thumbsup.gif

You could always leave the open side down. Easy on and off that way. To add color, you could also put an appropriate photo in the back ground. Hmmmm, really all kinds of things you could do.

Thanks for the idea! thumbsup.gif

I have two aquariums at the house but one is full of water and fish and the other has a snake in it. I dont think my wife would appreciate me dumping either of them out to put my collection stuff in though :D

I have an old 55 galon show tank that has a cracked bottom that I have been contemplating building up a diorama in but have not decided on what theme I want to do in it. I think that if someone wanted to do a Naval scene it would be great. Mix up some clear resin and tint it a light shade of blue and pour it about a quarter full and set the ship in it. Then you would have the look of the ship above and below water. I think it would look pretty cool myself.

I have two aquariums at the house but one is full of water and fish and the other has a snake in it. I dont think my wife would appreciate me dumping either of them out to put my collection stuff in though :D

Mmmmmmm, sushi! :)

But what would I do with the plastic pirate ship that came with the aquarium?

Good idea for smaller displays. I gave my aquarium to my sister. I think she grows some kind of plants in it now... I'm still on the lookout for some lighted glass store display cabinets to haul home. Thanks for sharing the idea!

I have an old 55 galon show tank that has a cracked bottom that I have been contemplating building up a diorama in but have not decided on what theme I want to do in it. I think that if someone wanted to do a Naval scene it would be great. Mix up some clear resin and tint it a light shade of blue and pour it about a quarter full and set the ship in it. Then you would have the look of the ship above and below water. I think it would look pretty cool myself.

You know, for some reason this sounds familiar. I also like to build models and it seems like I remember someone doing a submarine display like that. They set the sub in tinted resin at periscope depth and put an underwater scene behind it as a backdrop. It had a kind of shadow box quality to it. I'll have to see if I can find that info.

I saw a diorama of a beach landing scene (D-Day) where one of the landing craft and its howitzer on board were sunk.

The creator of this diorama used resin too and it looked pretty cool.

Erwin

I saw a diorama of a beach landing scene (D-Day) where one of the landing craft and its howitzer on board were sunk.

The creator of this diorama used resin too and it looked pretty cool.

Erwin

I would like to do a beach landing diorama kindof like that some time. I might just have to go out and get some clear resin and a few models this week and start trying.

On the note of cheap display cases I payed 50 bucks for the two 6 foot long by 4 foot tall glass cases I have in my war room. I think that is pretty cheap myself.

a large 55 gallon aquarium would make a nice display case for a GI JOE / action figure diorama

you could use sand and aquarium plants and rocks to make a 1/6th scale jungle diorama

and maybe add some cheap Christmas tree lights to add lighting.