WWII Officially Named AAF DFC's and Air Medals to POW's

KASTAUFFER

All

Examples of officially named DFC's and Air Medals have been posted in various threads thoughout the forum. I decided today to start one devoted to examples awarded to POW's . I have also thrown in some Purple Hearts for good measure.

During WWII , the AAF would often award named medals to crewmen who were either MIA or POW's . The medals were officially hand engraved by the PQMD ( Philadelphia Quartemaster Depot ) and presented to the NOK either in person or via the mail . Sometimes you will find groups to POW's that have un-named medals in them because the medals were awarded before the recipient became a casualty. I have a number that fit that example.

The normal naming convention is :

RANK

NAME

A.C.

The name itself can be on 1 or 2 lines . Also note that all the DFC's and AM's are HAND ENGRAVED.... not MACHINE.

I am going to leave the names of the vets out of my posts to frustrate geneologists ..... and you know the rest of the story...

The first group is a DFC/AM group to a bombardier from the 303rd BG who was shot down 11/13/44 on his 25th Mission ( His DFC is for completing 25 missions ) . His B-17 was named " Liberty Run " . He spent the rest of the war in Stalag Luft 1 . Included is his POW barrackes card and a POW camp made lead wing .

beers.JPG

beers1.JPG

beers3.JPG

This next group is to S/Sgt who was a chin turret gunner with the 401st BG , 8th AAF , He was shot down 8/24/44 on a mission over Leipzig . He had earned a Purple Heart on a previous mission for wounds and it is not named , but is numbered .

His DFC is for a specific act of heroism , but I do not have the GO yet . I do have the GO # .

He was held in Stalag Luft 4 .

bralley.JPG

bralley1.JPG

This next group is to a S/ Sgt who was a gunner with the 95th BG , 8th AAF . He was shot down 12/8/43 on a mission to Wesserling Germany .

The air medal with his name and service number was awarded to him before he was shot down . The officially named medal was sent to his family and is also numbered .

S/Sgt Burroughs was held in Stalag Luft 3 .

Burroughs.JPG

Burroughs1.JPG

Burroughs2.JPG

AM/PH pair to a S/Sgt who served with the 96th BG , 8th AAF . He was shot down 12/13/43 and was wounded in the same action . He was held in Stalag 17B until the end of the war. I also have this man's " A Wartime Log " POW diary .

bennett.JPG

bennett1.JPG

bennett2.JPG

Here is another Stalag 17B POW

Group to a S/Sgt with the 390th BG , 8th AAF , shot down 10/10/43 over Munster on his 15th mission. I also have this mans " A Wartime Log " diary as well.

He was wounded prior to the mission he was captured . His PH is numbered but not named.

Armstrong.JPG

Armstrong1.JPG

Pair to a fighter pilot with the 324th FG , 12th AAF . His P-40 was hit over Italy and he bailed out. He was wounded at that time.

He was held in Stalag Luft 3 .

forkapa.JPG

forkapa1.JPG

AM to a Radio Operator with the 455th BG , 15th AAF . He was shot down 6/13/44 on a mission over Munich Germany . He was held in Stalag Luft 4 .

Gilliam.JPG

Gilliam1.JPG

Officially script engraved Purple Heart awarded to a Bombardier with the 455th BG , 15th AAF . He was shot down 7/24/44 on a mission over Budapest . His PH was not presented to him until 1947 .

he was held in Stalag Luft 3.

Saleck.JPG

Saleck1.JPG

Pair to Jewish American who was a navigator with the 379th BG , 8th AAF . He was shot down on a mission over France 3/13/44 . He was awarded a PH for a wound received in Janaury 1944 prior the date he was MIA . The Purple Heart is not named , but is numbered .

He was held in Stalag Luft 1 . In January 1945 , the Germans segregated all of the Jewish POW's into a single barracks at Stalag Luft 1 . I have his POW diary and he mentions this incident in it . They were rather concerned to say the least .

On his POW ID card , the Gemans wrote boldly across it " JUDEN " .

Mogol.JPG

Mogol1.JPG

Last one for today . This man , a Jewish American , was a Radio Operator with the 463rd BG , 8th AAF .He was shot down 5/8/44 on a mission over Brunswick .

I also have his POW ID card and the Germans wrote that he was JUDISCH on it.

urshansky.JPG

urshansky1.JPG

Kurt,

Stunning! That is all I can say!

I truly appreciate your sharing these treasures with the rest of us.

Allan

Thanks Allan thumbsup.gif I am hoping to see some more examples of officially named medals added to the thread.

This thread may have a " medals theme " to it, but some of these groups probably deserve a thread on their own if I were to post all the photos , documents , insignia , and Diary pages.

Kurt

Kurt,

Thanks for sharing all these great groups! Its threads like these that remind me why I am in the hobby. These really are terrific groups, thanks again!

Beau

IMPERIAL QUEST
Here is another Stalag 17B POW

Group to a S/Sgt with the 390th BG , 8th AAF , shot down 10/10/43 over Munster on his 15th mission. I also have this mans " A Wartime Log " diary as well.

He was wounded prior to the mission he was captured . His PH is numbered but not named.

At the risk of my being redundant...here is a Stalag 17B POW brother grouping to yours Kurt.

Timothy Nunan, Radio Operator, shot down by Fw 190's after a bombing raid in Pozen, Poland (Bar Fly's 27th mission)

Thanks Steven and Beau!

Steven, I will sounds like I am repeating myself too... I really like the way you have displayed those medals thumbsup.gif

Kurt

Hey Kurt !!

Simply fantastic groupings...I especially like the Sidney (the Jewish gangster) Mogol group !!! think.gif

Just incredible, moving, and very historic groupings.

Two thumbsup.gif way up...

Vic

IMPERIAL QUEST
Kurt

You have to many nice POW groups. You should be selling some.

You have some excellent ETO POW Groups.

Nick

I agree 100%. Kurt, I think that any more acquisitions will indeed constitute "greed" on your part. In the US Militaria Collectors Handbook, it clearly states in paragraph 1(a) of the Courtesy section that ..."if fellow collectors are offended because your good fortune, knowledge, and monetary position allows you to obtain an abundance of groupings in your collection that relate to a particular venue, you are obligated to sell a reasonable number of said items to those offended by your hoarding. This will create a more balanced, and harmonious collecting atmosphere..."

I look forward to seeing your posts on the e-stand very soon. thumbsup.gif

IMPERIAL QUEST
I am trying to corner the market like the Hunt Brothers did with Silver back in the early 80's :rolleyes:;)

Kurt

Well, looks like you mission is nearly complete. I wish that I could learn to focus on a specific area in my colleting. Twenty years ago it was US valor awards, then I got hit with the black plague (Third Reich) for a good 10 years, then it was Imperial wound Badges and aviation, now it is US and Imperial PH's, Wound Badges, and aviation. I really need to learn to focus.

Raidercollector
Well, looks like you mission is nearly complete. I wish that I could learn to focus on a specific area in my colleting. Twenty years ago it was US valor awards, then I got hit with the black plague (Third Reich) for a good 10 years, then it was Imperial wound Badges and aviation, now it is US and Imperial PH's, Wound Badges, and aviation. I really need to learn to focus.

Steven

Most of us can't focus on one item. I to use to collect TR in the late 60's 70's 80's 90,s.And I still buy german bayonets now and than. Now its marine medal groups. And what ever turns me on. This collecting is like hooked on beer. You always need a fix. At least as how deep your pockets are. Or your wife lets you. Or you don,t tell her. Ha Ha. The SOS will be a feeding friendzy

Nick

• 5 months later...

Here is another group to add to the thread!

Air Medal / Purple Heart pair to a 2nd Lt who served as a bombardier with the 445th Bomb Group , 8th AAF . This was the bomb group Jimmy Stewart served in.

The bombardier was captured on Feb 24, 1944 and was held in Stalag Luft I at Barth Germany. I really like the minis too! He stayed in the USAF after the war.

Kurt

Bonney.JPG

Bonney1.JPG