"Night Stalkers Don't Quit"

Sabrejet

Now that more info about the Bin Laden raid gradually is leaking out, it appears that apart from Seal Team 6, the 160th SAOR a.k.a. the Night Stalkers were also actively involved...a fact that has been acknowledged by the addition of the forum's new homepage banner.

By chance, I happen to have a small 160th grouping in my collection which I will post here by way of a tribute to those intrepid airborne warriors! Firstly, some background info on the unit, courtesy of their Wikipedia entry:

The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) is a special operations unit of the United States Army that provides helicopter aviation support for general purpose forces and Special Operations Forces. Its missions have included attack, assault, and reconnaissance, and are usually conducted at night, at high speeds, low altitudes, and on short notice. The 160th SOAR is headquartered at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. The 160th SOAR (A) are also known as the Night Stalkers and their motto is Night Stalkers Don't Quit.

The grouping comprises of a unit level ball cap, DUIs and a couple of patches.

post-8022-1304850690.jpg post-8022-1304850700.jpg

The ball-cap is an unofficial unit level item. It has a "mossy-oak" camo pattern and additional embroidery illustrating one of their "Little Bird" gunships with the legend "6 PAX" (For those who may be interested, the shades are GI issue Randall Aviators)

Correction to Post #2...should have read RANDOLPH Aviators. Doh!!

Sabrejet :blush:

Patches and DUIs.

post-8022-1304851097.jpg

Very cool grouping and a find tribute to these men!

I love the patch on the left, it is very fitting. "Death waits in the dark." :w00t:

Justin

I have a couple peices from a buddy who flew with them prior to OIF-OEF.

As they say you can run,you can hide but in the end the Stalkers will find you and you only die tired.

Corpsmancollector

The ball cap is great Ian! Thanks for posting this tribute to those brave men.

Will

Bob Hudson
Now that more info about the Bin Laden raid gradually is leaking out, it appears that apart from Seal Team 6, the 160th SAOR a.k.a. the Night Stalkers were also actively involved...a fact that has been acknowledged by the addition of the forum's new homepage banner.

The word is they got the PUC.

binpuc.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST
The word is they got the PUC.

binpuc.jpg

I know that we will probably never know, but I wonder what they received as individual decorations? Since the criteria for the PUC as a unit equals requirements to an individual receiving a DSC, NC or AFC...I bet there were a few Navy Crosses and Distinguished Service Crosses awarded...

I know that we will probably never know, but I wonder what they received as individual decorations? Since the criteria for the PUC as a unit equals requirements to an individual receiving a DSC, NC or AFC...I bet there were a few Navy Crosses and Distinguished Service Crosses awarded...

I would tend to agree on the awards....I would think with a PUC that at least a DSC or NC is out there. The awards will come out in time, someone knows the operators, and at some point they will be wearing them somewhere sometime. Not likely to explain where or what they were awarded for, but I believe based on my past experience we will eventually find out. I had a colleague at my officer basic course that was a former AF guy.We had a function, blues etc...he had a BSM, and some other awards that you wouldn't see in a peacetime era...some unit awards etc that just didn't make sense. We knew he was an "operator" in the AF, and all he said was his time period and said, if you read the papers then you know where we were.

While I am curious as well about the awards, part of me would like to see the mystery of the awards remain with the details of the mission. Fr me, the mystery and mystique of the teams is maintained of I don't know what tangible awards they received. Once something tangible is pinned the mystery is gone in some ways for me

That said.....it is the cat's a$$ they we have warriors like this on our team

Very nice display. It's funny how we only have occaisional posts about units like this until something major happens and they are all over the news. Goes to show you never know what items hiding in your collection are going to spark interest!

Brian Dentino
Ian,

Did I ever mention what a great thread this is ??

Totally agree with JS on this comment........tops once again Ian! Great thread, cool items. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a BDU I have - the guy from whom I got it was from either the 1st or 2nd battalion, out of Ft Campbell. I have two others I suspect may be from the 160th but I can't prove it.

post-257-1306488608.jpg