Important WW1 Era Photo

cwnorma

While surfing the web, I came across this fantastic photograph of Julia Stimson, the Chief of the Army Nurse Corps from 1919 to 1937 and three other Army Nurses.

Just for fun lets see who can guess first why this is such an interesting photo:

post-594-1304821692.jpg

Chris

...as in Sec'y of War Stimson? Also love the fact that the old bird served 2 years overseas.

As far as I know, Julia Stimpson was not related to Secretary of War Henry Stimson, although they may have been; I just have never seen that mentioned anywhere.

I'll play...first woman to be decorated with a DSM?

Hmm, I'm not sure if she was the first, but she certainly was one of the first. Grace Banker, head of the Signal Corps "Hello Girls" also was awarded the DSM...

But any picture of Julia Stimson could meet that criteria, but this one is of special interest to militaria collectors.

Is it the neckwear on the middle nurse?

Good guess, but Army Nurses were allowed to wear "commercial shirtwaists" (shirts) under their walking out uniforms. That ended in 1920 when the new olive drab uniform replaced the blue WW1 era suit.

Good guess, but Army Nurses were allowed to wear "commercial shirtwaists" (shirts) under their walking out uniforms. That ended in 1920 when the new olive drab uniform replaced the blue WW1 era suit.

Arggghhh!

Here is a picture of Major Stimpson wearing the olive drab uniform that was authorized in 1920:

post-594-1304824948.jpg

While surfing the web, I came across this fantastic photograph of Julia Stimson, the Chief of the Army Nurse Corps from 1919 to 1937 and three other Army Nurses.

Just for fun lets see who can guess first why this is such an interesting photo:

post-594-1304821692.jpg

Chris

What do the 4 stripes on the left sleeve mean? - I think 3 are sergeant

memphismeister

"After her service in the First World War, Stimson remained with the military, becoming the superintendent of the Army Nurse Corps and the first dean of the Army School of Nursing. In 1920 she became the first woman to achieve the rank of major in the U.S. Army. Stimson retired from the Army in 1937 and then served as president of the American Nurses Association from 1938 until 1944. Stimson returned to the Army during World War II to recruit nurses to the Army Nurse Corps, retiring a second time at the end of the war. Stimson was promoted to the rank of full colonel six weeks before her death, at the age of 67, in 1948"

May 26, 1881 - Bom on May 26, 1881, in Worcester, Massachusetts, Julia Stimson was a cousin of Henry L. Stimson, later secretary of war and of state

What do the 4 stripes on the left sleeve mean? - I think 3 are sergeant

Worn on the left sleeve, those are WW1 overseas service chevrons. In gold, each one represented 6 months service in the "Zone of Operations." In silver 6 months service outside the zone of operations, and in blue less than six months service in the Zone of Operations.

Since Miss Stimson was overseas, it is safe to guess that hers are gold.

"After her service in the First World War, Stimson remained with the military, becoming the superintendent of the Army Nurse Corps and the first dean of the Army School of Nursing. In 1920 she became the first woman to achieve the rank of major in the U.S. Army. Stimson retired from the Army in 1937 and then served as president of the American Nurses Association from 1938 until 1944. Stimson returned to the Army during World War II to recruit nurses to the Army Nurse Corps, retiring a second time at the end of the war. Stimson was promoted to the rank of full colonel six weeks before her death, at the age of 67, in 1948"

May 26, 1881 - Bom on May 26, 1881, in Worcester, Massachusetts, Julia Stimson was a cousin of Henry L. Stimson, later secretary of war and of state

post-594-1304868768.jpg

The important part is; "in 1920..." Two things happened in 1920: 1) Women Nurses were authorized to wear "relative rank." 2) Army Nurses got a new uniform. The photograph above is a Harris and Ewing official photograph of Julia Stimson wearing her new rank--but not the new uniform. Note she is wearing the WW1 era blue uniform with its pleated pockets and no shoulder straps. Later that same year, the new uniform came out with shoulder straps provisioned for rank. The combination of WW1 blue uniform and rank insignia was extremely short lived. This is the only picture I have ever seen of this combination. Indeed, this picture may have been taken the very day women were authorized to wear officer's rank insignia.

Note as well, that Julia Stimson and the nurse behind her to the left both have black mohair braids encircling the cuffs of their uniform. This very scarce modification denoted "head nurse".

Chris

Finally, here is Julia Stimson wearing the Olive Drab uniform for her 1920 official portrait (again Harris and Ewing). You can just make out her major's oak leaves on her shoulder straps.

post-594-1304869417.jpg

trenchbuff

Very nice research Chris. This isn't an area many collectors are familiar with. Although I knew nurses did not wear rank insignia during WW1, I never noticed the rank insignia being out of place in the photo since there's still a tendancy to expect it on uniforms. Great shots and post as always!!

Chris, Great post!

I wonder what the rank is of the nurse nearest to Stimson? Can you make it out?

Kim

Chris, Great post!

I wonder what the rank is of the nurse nearest to Stimson? Can you make it out?

Kim

Kim,

On the larger version of this (I had to shrink it for the forum) you can see that all three nurses behind Stimson are wearing captain bars.

My guess is that this picture was taken in Washington DC by Harris and Ewing to commemorate the occasion of Nurses being allowed to wear officer's rank. These four must have been the ANC leadership at the time.

Unfortunately, Harris and Ewing's record keeping wasn't outstanding so beyond my little bit of detective work and the general subject of the photos there isn't a lot of detail. BTW, the entire Harris and Ewing negative collection is available on line from the Library of Congress. Just search "Harris and Ewing" on google and the collection pops up.

The Nurse to the right of Julia Stimson may be Dora E Thompson, who stepped down as Army Nurse Corps Superintendent when she returned from France in 1919. She returned to the ANC by 1920 and was appointed Assistant Superintendent--although I am not certain it is her.

Chris

• 4 years later...
librarianjon

I know this post is sevearal years late, but I've just discovered the forum. I work in the Prints & Photographs Division at the Library of Congress and I'm not a cataloger so I can't personally change the records, but I've asked that the catalog record for this photo be updated to reflect was mentioned in this post. If you have any other additional information about our photos, let me know and I'll submit the changes. You can browse our catalog at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/.

Jon

• 1 month later...

Wow, the Lady on the right has a striking resemblance to Eleanor Roosevelt!

The Nurse to the right of Julia Stimson is most likely Dora E Thompson, who resigned as Army Nurse Corps Superintendent when she returned from France in 1919. She returned to the Army Nurse Corps by 1920 and was appointed Assistant Superintendent. Her relative rank was Captain

Chris