WWII Ovals and Jump Wings

I have seen the black oval with yellow border in several 541/11th Abn groupings. I have seen them 'attributed' to 509 but I don't know if I buy that.

Allan,

First off, I have enjoyed reading your response. So by "dirt common", are you saying from your experience that this is a more generic oval that any trooper could have picked up? I'm hell bent on finding out the exact designation of this oval, which I have come to realize is unlikely.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I don't know if you will ever find a 100% definitive ID to the oval in question, or other ovals out there. I recall seeing a grouping here on the forum that came from a 505th PIR veteran. In the center of the riker mount of insignia is a 501st PIR oval. The veteran wasn't assigned to the 501st at any time, but the odds are that he picked it up and since it was red and blue, he may have worn it on his 505th PIR uniform. My point here is that variation existed and the colors weren't tightly controlled so ovals could have been picked up anywhere. If I recall the black oval with golden yellow border that we are discussing was one of those offered by the Patch King which shows up in period albums. This is perhaps one of the reasons that I considered them to be dirt common.

Allan

shocktrooper15
Mike,

I don't know if you will ever find a 100% definitive ID to the oval in question, or other ovals out there. I recall seeing a grouping here on the forum that came from a 505th PIR veteran. In the center of the riker mount of insignia is a 501st PIR oval. The veteran wasn't assigned to the 501st at any time, but the odds are that he picked it up and since it was red and blue, he may have worn it on his 505th PIR uniform. My point here is that variation existed and the colors weren't tightly controlled so ovals could have been picked up anywhere. If I recall the black oval with golden yellow border that we are discussing was one of those offered by the Patch King which shows up in period albums. This is perhaps one of the reasons that I considered them to be dirt common.

Allan

Doyler - I really like your glider wing! Its difficult to find them with combat stars.

Allan - Thanks for all of your information and expertise you have provided. I will just have to go with what you said about the ovals not being tightly controlled. I mean, if I was a trooper in the 504th, I would want something like a 505th oval because of its patriotic colors as opposed to a yellow and blue oval. As for the possibility of the oval being a Patch King, I have attached a photo of the back of my oval. In my opinion, I do not think the backing is typical of a PK construction.

post-9086-1306353985.jpg

blitzkrieg gsd

Nice airborne stuff guys i like to see these and better yet its nice when you guys explain what they are. So thanks and keep them comeing.

Generic Arty oval on 50s era ID'd officers uniform from a group I have.He must have had a combat jump in Korea as I understand he wasnt airbone qualified in WW2.

post-342-1306906181.jpg

Local med detactment vet from the 17th Airborne.Believe he was with the 224th Airborne Medical Company

This is an old scan and the colors should be maroon trim with white wool center.Other oval and cap patch are theatre made.Guessing made in France.

post-342-1306906971.jpg

blitzkrieg gsd

How about some 11th ab ovals my uncle served with them in ww2. like so see some examples of the diffrent 11th ovals thanks guys.

I've got a small group of ovals and/or jump wings in my collectiion (some on uniforms). I think a handful are WW-II, the rest are post war.

These first two do not have ovals and they are from MArine officer's uniforms.

post-1107-1307125523.jpg

post-1107-1307125529.jpg

Most of the rest of these came to me in a single lot. Not being all that knowledgeable on Airborne ovals, I 'm not sure of most of the units. I think these two may be 509th but not sure.

post-1107-1307125839.jpg

These two are from the same unit but I don't know which one. One is pretty dirty; the other looks unworn.

post-1107-1307126019.jpg

The top one is pretty dirty, The bottom one, with colors opposite those in the post above (is this 11th Airborne??) looks about pristine.

post-1107-1307126200.jpg

Three different ones. Again, I don't know which units they represent. The top one liiks unworn. The middle one has had jump wings on it at some point. The bottom one is a bit different from the others in that it's just one thick piece of green wool felt.

post-1107-1307126674.jpg

Last one. This, of course, is 506th PIR. This picture isn't all that good as it's taken through the glass of the frame it's in.

post-1107-1307126969.jpg

shocktrooper15
Last one. This, of course, is 506th PIR. This picture isn't all that good as it's taken through the glass of the frame it's in.

post-1107-1307126969.jpg

I recognize a lot of those ovals. Here's a great reference site. Thanks for sharing! Your 507th oval looks just like the one I posted that came in a 509th group. The 509th was folded into the 82nd in March of 1945.

http://www.military-insignia.us/Pages/Spec...yRegiments.html

shocktrooper15

I Hate Moths

Great bullion oval/wing combo! Is it attributed to any unit? (I'll guess 13th Airborne due to your avatar)

Keep 'em coming guys!