WWII Ovals and Jump Wings

shocktrooper15

Hey guys,

I would love to see your jump wings, glider wings, and ovals in your collections!

Here are mine:

1. Oval most likely 507th PIR or 327th GIR Sterling Marked Wing, one combat star (Came from a 509th PIB grouping)

2. 325th Glider Oval

3. 501st PIR Greenback

4. Gemsco Marked Sterling wing with one combat star (Fleas Market find)

5. Sterling marked Glider Wing With Combat Star

Not pictured: Plain Sterling marked wing with about 40% of finish remaining

post-9086-1304798896.jpg

post-9086-1304799007.jpg

post-9086-1304799020.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
shocktrooper15

Bumpin' to the top! I know there is A LOT more wings than that!!!

BTW: Nice wings doyler, love that picture :thumbsup:

Bumpin' to the top! I know there is A LOT more wings than that!!!

BTW: Nice wings doyler, love that picture :thumbsup:

Thankyou sir.

Will try to post a few others.

Two more 101st Airborne Div Ovals for you :thumbsup:

506th P.I.R Oval Identified

327th G.I.R Oval also

post-11464-1306182860.jpg

post-11464-1306182891.jpg

shocktrooper15
327th G.I.R Oval also

Great ovals and wings 1944! Would you be able to post a close up of the 327th oval? I would like to compare it with mine to finally determine whether it is actually 327th GIR.

Thanks!

Mike

17thairborne

Here are a few Engineer Ovals picked up over the past several years along with some associated wings. Sorry for the quality of photo and flash which makes the white edges seem too bright.

Oz

2924814150103484309S600x600Q85.jpg

Great ovals and wings 1944! Would you be able to post a close up of the 327th oval? I would like to compare it with mine to finally determine whether it is actually 327th GIR.

Thanks!

Mike

Hello Mike

Yes of course i have attached a close up this time for your request of the WWII 327th G.I.R Oval

Hope this Helps you in what you are looking for my friend.

Best Regards

Tomás :thumbsup:

post-11464-1306263384.jpg

shocktrooper15
Hello Mike

Yes of course i have attached a close up this time for your request of the WWII 327th G.I.R Oval

Hope this Helps you in what you are looking for my friend.

Best Regards

Tomás :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Sir. I think it's 50/50 whether my oval is 507th or 327th.

Once again, very nice oval and thanks for the closeup.

Thank you very much Sir. I think it's 50/50 whether my oval is 507th or 327th.

Once again, very nice oval and thanks for the closeup.

Mike your very welcome no problem :thumbsup:

I think the 507th are very slightely bigger in size more rounded in comparasion to the 327th.

shocktrooper15

I think the 507th are very slightely bigger in size more rounded in comparasion to the 327th.

I think you are correct. I'm labeling mine as 507th :thumbsup:

17thairborne
unidentified officers 507th/17th Airborne/18th Abn.Corps/82nd Abn

post-342-1306187948.jpg

Awesome grouping!! Nice 17th patch and tab in particular! Is that the British made version with the luminescent type of OD thread? I cannot tell from the photo if the tab is felt or FE on twill.

Oz

Very interesting, I only consider 507th ovals to be the ones with a truly orange border. The yellowish variety are far too common to be 507th pieces.

Allan

shocktrooper15
Very interesting, I only consider 507th ovals to be the ones with a truly orange border. The yellowish variety are far too common to be 507th pieces.

Allan

Hi Allan,

I could be wrong, but here's my evidence:

- Look at the Uniform Doyler posted that is named to a 507th vet. The oval resembles mine very closely

-Although my oval is close to a 327th GIR, it came from a 509th PIB grouping. In March of 1945, the 509th was folded into other airborne units in the ETO. I doubt that many of them (if any) were glider qualified and placed in a glider unit)

-Some units had variations of the ovals (Ex. 502nd had two types of ovals and the 501st had 3 or 4)

Regards,

Mike

Hi Allan,

I could be wrong, but here's my evidence:

- Look at the Uniform Doyler posted that is named to a 507th vet. The oval resembles mine very closely

-Although my oval is close to a 327th GIR, it came from a 509th PIB grouping. In March of 1945, the 509th was folded into other airborne units in the ETO. I doubt that many of them (if any) were glider qualified and placed in a glider unit)

-Some units had variations of the ovals (Ex. 502nd had two types of ovals and the 501st had 3 or 4)

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

Here's my take on the 507th oval. I specializing in WWII airborne around 1980 after having been given the excellent advice to specialize in something that I was passionate about in militaria. That gave me a whole lot of years to be able to study and learn everything that I could about WWII airborne units. During that time, I was very fortunate to have been able to meet many, many WWII airborne veterans. I would conservatively estimate that I met 750 of these men over the years (I have over 400 signatures in one of my books that I ask WWII airborne veterans to sign). I was fortunate enough to live a few miles from a 501st pathfinder and a Company Commander in the 507th who was with them from Alliance, Nebraska to the end of the war. One thing that I did a lot of was examining original military insignia in the hands of the veterans. What I got out of the study was that to a man, every 507th oval that I examined was decidedly orange and not the shade shown in this thread. In fact, it is quite interesting to me that up until about the time SPR came out, the oval you are showing was dirt common. It was as easy to find as an 11th A/B HQ oval, or a blue or a red oval. I truly believe that these ovals have picked up the 507th ID because so many collectors WANT them to be 507th ovals.

Moving over to the 509th PIB, I have said it on this forum many times that the "official" medium blue oval with a light blue bordered oval was decidely rare in the hands of 509 veterans. I saw loads of bullion ovals- usually black with gold bullion borders, but I also ran into veterans with what we all call 504th ovals- blue with a yellow border, but the pieces that I encountered the most from 509 vets?- black with a white embroidered border- typical of 508th PIR ovals!

As a kid, I remember a rather deep conversation between two much older and much more experienced collectros who specialized in Civil War memorabilia. What they were saying was that items that were being dismissed as reproductions and post CW when they were younger collectors, were now being embraced as original pieces by the next generation of collectors. It's funny that at 46 years of age, I see myself in the same position where things that I never encountered in the veterans' hands, let alone items that were "poo-poo'ed" by the veterans themselves are now finding their way into many "advanced" collections. I guess my point is that we should be less willing to openly believe that an unkown is something that we want it to be and take a step back and examine the pieces that have iron-clad provenance and attempt to add those pieces to our collections.

In the end, if you want to ID the oval as 507th, then do so as it is your collection, but I am not going to jump on the bandwagon and agree with the assessment. Unfortunately, we are so quickly running out of the vets who wore them, so in a short time, I guess it really won't matter.

My two cents,

Allan

shocktrooper15
Mike,

My two cents,

Allan

Allan,

First off, I have enjoyed reading your response. So by "dirt common", are you saying from your experience that this is a more generic oval that any trooper could have picked up? I'm hell bent on finding out the exact designation of this oval, which I have come to realize is unlikely.

Thanks,

Mike