My small collection of Air Force Academy insignia

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Here is my small collection of Air Force academy insignia along with a 1970 - 1971 cadet handbook I found some years ago. Besides the insignia I have a cadet overcoat and dress uniform minus the hat and sash. Unfortunatly I dont have any of the cadet squadron / class patches. Just hought I would share what I have.

Robert

Pic 1 - Cadet yearbook

post-6492-1304563039.jpg

post-6492-1304563078.jpg

DutchInfid3l

Very nice! I collect USAFA insignia/uniforms as well. The shoulder boards are the hardest to find. It took a bit to find the hard/soft set that I have.

So far my hunt for the gold sash and or a belt for the parade uniform has been disappointing. Come to think of it a sabre cross belt would be nice too. :D

maddog1129
Very nice! I collect USAFA insignia/uniforms as well. The shoulder boards are the hardest to find. It took a bit to find the hard/soft set that I have.

So far my hunt for the gold sash and or a belt for the parade uniform has been disappointing. Come to think of it a sabre cross belt would be nice too. :D

We want pix!!

:w00t:

DutchInfid3l
We want pix!!

:w00t:

Will do!

Here's what I've got. I only have a half mannequin so the pants aren't shown. Also disregard the "Kimball" name tag, it's an old one of mine till I get the name "Workman" made, it's written in the jacket.

The '61-'62 Contrails is named to a Tim Gilmartin and the '58-'59 has an AOG sticker for it being a gift of LtCol James F. Glaza class of 1960

017.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

DutchInfid3l
1970s era cadet Lt Col shoulder boards

BTW. Your shoulder boards, are they mess dress style snap button or are they like the ones I have, mine screw on like the chin strap buttons on the sides of a service cap.

kyhistorian01
BTW. Your shoulder boards, are they mess dress style snap button or are they like the ones I have, mine screw on like the chin strap buttons on the sides of a service cap.

Nice collection, thanks for sharing the pics. My boards are the Mess Dress style snap button. I found them over 12 years ago at the Ohio Valley Military Society's Show of Shows in Louisville and if my memory serves me right I got the pair for around $6. I would love to find more shoulder boards and shirt size soft boards, but the pair I have is the only pair I have seen.

Robert

• 1 month later...
DutchInfid3l

Speaking of shoulder boards... I was looking through some of my picture files, I no longer have these, but had always wondered about them. They didn't have any sort of attachment, the backs were just flat. No strap, clips or pins seemed to have been present. Plus, they were much wider and more flat (no apparent shoulder curve) than the other two examples of USAFA boards that I have.

BkiI-8CGkKGrHqYH-CoEtJfFiiBL68LEEo_.jpg

BkiJELQBWkKGrHqUH-EUEt3UB8T1BL68foD.jpg

IIRC, cadets can be awarded a star for academic excellence (Dean's List), a wreath for high military standing (Commandant's List) and I think it's lightning bolts for athletic prowess; a combined pin means that cadet is on both Dean's List and Commandant's list, for high academic and military aptitude. You see some pins with all 3.

Cadet Merit awards

Oh, ha, I should have looked at the picture. In kyhistorian's post (click the arrow) you can see the various combinations for acadmic standing, military merit, and athletic performance.

I have been lucky enough to get a couple of waist plates and breast plates, and one waist belt, but no official saber belt. You can find the sabers, but never a belt to go with it.

I wonder if they use the same saber belt as the West Pointers. The fastening is different, so I don't think so, but I have never seen one. See this post: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=725222

In post #9, what is the signifigance of the round blue patch on the shoulder below the Zemke tab (09)? Just this week I recieved two like that with the numbers 70 and 72. :think:

DutchInfid3l
In post #9, what is the signifigance of the round blue patch on the shoulder below the Zemke tab (09)? Just this week I recieved two like that with the numbers 70 and 72. :think:

Graduation year.

The "Zemke tab" is the class exemplar. This program was created to provide a clear and visible attachment for cadets to the great air power leaders of the past. Each class selects an exemplar who serves as the honorary leader of the class. The first class to have them was 2000.

Graduation year.

The "Zemke tab" is the class exemplar. This program was created to provide a clear and visible attachment for cadets to the great air power leaders of the past. Each class selects an exemplar who serves as the honorary leader of the class. The first class to have them was 2000.

Thanks for the info! Been collecting this stuff for over 35 years and STILL learn something new. Man I love this forum! :thumbsup:

DutchInfid3l

Thought I'd share a photo... (notice the "class rank" on the sleeves)

scan0016.jpg

on reverse:

Saturday, November 17, 1956

Official USAF photo

Mr. Cecil B. DeMille and Brigadier General Robert H. Stillman, Commandant of Cadets at the U.S. Air Force Academy, inspect the new evening dress uniform to be worn by Academy cadets at formal social functions. The selected prototype, worn by 1st Lt. James Clendenen (left), an Air Training Officer at the Academy, is made of indigo blue elastique material. The other prototype, worn by 1st Lt. George Nial (second from right) and 1st Lt. Frank Drew (right), who are also Air Training Officers, were made of different materials. The evening dress uniform is part of a family of distinctive uniforms designed for academy cadets by Mr. DeMille and his associates, Mr. Henry Wilcoxon and Mr. John L. Jensen, in close consultation with the Academy Uniform Board. A number of the distinctive uniforms have been approved by Secretary of the Air Force, Donald A. Quarles and will go into service next fall.

they stopped putting the class stripes on the sleeves pretty quickly afaict. Now all the rank information is on the shoulder boards and shoulder marks.

IIRC, cadets can be awarded a star for academic excellence (Dean's List), a wreath for high military standing (Commandant's List) and I think it's lightning bolts for athletic prowess; a combined pin means that cadet is on both Dean's List and Commandant's list, for high academic and military aptitude. You see some pins with all 3.

Many thanks for the clarification. Heck if I could find anything on the web about them!

-Ski