Hey, Does Someone Got A Rope?

Bugme

Beast sure nailed it.

If #20 is from when / where I think it was made, the tank commander drowned after it rolled, with his legs in the turret and body pinned between the soft mud and the the cupola...operating at night, in a rainstorm during peacetime "routine training."

I was trying to keep this light hearted and to avoid posting any photo's in which I thought someone was hurt or killed or that it was from an actual combat situation. Since post 20 was in question, I have removed it. I respect all armored guys and by no means thought to demean anyone. I was just showing a few, of what I thought were funny shots. My dad was a Tank Commander during the Korean conflict and post war years leading up to Vietnam. While at Ft. Knox, he and his crew tried to see if their light tank would climb a large tree. It didn't and got stuck in a near vertical position. I wish there had been pictures.

That said, the below photo, while not a U.S. tank, it does add a some merit to Brigs point. *See lower left corner. ;)

Dont_Drink_And_Drive_Tank.jpg

OK, if that's how you want to roll, we'll pick on the Fly-boys. Police Academy Rule #1: Don't ever try to pull over a fighter jet... you'll always lose.

funny_accident_army.jpg

These are some of the same people that never learned to call out "I got it! I got it!" while catching pop-fly balls in little league baseball.

I'm missing out!!!..........I only see 11 pictures. :pinch:

I removed post 20 not picture number 20. :)

Jack's Son
I removed post 20 not picture number 20. :)

I switched to 'standard' display, and there are a total of 31 posts, (last of which is your reply).

Thank you, I feel better now!! :)

HoovieDude
These photos show that gravity and armor don't mix! However... not all of these accidents are a result of liquid stupidity either. You will note in some of the photos the ground is saturated. When you add 20+ tons to rain soak ground, roads collapse and bad things happen. I had the "pleasure" of being terrified when the ground gave way underneath my Bradley IFV and we went sliding down a hill, sideways, towards a culvert. As I was the one with my head sticking out of the turret, I could see what we were heading for and knew we would roll over. I was screaming at my driver to get this thing moving forward (like he wasn't trying to do that already) when the treads finally caught and we regained control. It probably only took 15 seconds but it seemed like several lifetimes to me.

Yippers. BTDT also on a couple occasions. Once with mud in a situation similar to yours, once with thick ice instead of mud. Another in something that was more of a nosedive, and my lower back was the happy recipient of the first two of three herniated discs and cracked vertibrae. 30 tons of steel going from full sprint to dead stop while breaking contact in my CFV and finding on old, overgrown vehicle fighting position in training will do that. And I know guys who never went home to momma because of accidents like these. I know the idea behind this thread was meant to be light hearted, but something alot of folks don't keep in mind, is that nearly every system the militaries use was designed to main or kill. And none of it cares who it does it too. Friend or foe, its all the same. I know at one point, there were the equivalent of almost a full Battalion of soldiers alone, lost due to mishaps like these, and other accidents on and off duty annually.

I heard the story - and I'm telling this from memory so forgive me - that Patton was once giving some sort of a demonstration in which he decided to drive a tank through a building. A Sergeant on the scene recommended he not do so but he went ahead and did it anyhow. After all, he was Patton! The tank went into the building and immediately dropped through the floor into the basement, which was what the Sgt had been trying to warn him about. Supposedly Patton climbed up out of the mess and declared."OK men, what did you learn from this? Listen to your Sergeant!" :lol:

Tom

ClaptonIsGod

This one is pretty bad too..

Apparently, if I remember correctly, the owner of the house he hit was in a tank in WWII.. ironic

This one is pretty bad too..

Apparently, if I remember correctly, the owner of the house he hit was in a tank in WWII.. ironic

:pinch:

flyer333555

Not intending to hijack this thread...

And it still does not compare to any of the posted here.

Once when I was in the Civil Air Patrol at an airshow a jet pilot, his airplane was an old ex-US Navy fighter of the late '50s decided to move on his own power around the apron in front of a hangar where there were about ten single-engine high-wing propeller airplanes parked in front. Some were our CAP planes. Instead of staying away in the taxiway, he decided to make a right turn towards the hangar, then a left turn between those propeller airplanes and the hangar, then a left as if he had come out of the hangar. Maybe he was using the slowest speed he could, but we sure felt he was still hot-rodding as several of those propeller airplanes rocked and swayed back and forth in the jetwash. Nothing happened but in our minds, we saw several planes on top of each other or toppled over!

Great photos. I hope that no other tank crew were injured.

Luis Ramos