Found Collection of VN Combat Art, Negatives, Contact Sheets

noexpert

Sorry about the quality of these next two, but I thought that folks might like the S/Sgt's ammo belt and the decoration on the gunner's helmet enough to justify it...

post-14358-1307552676.jpg

This is Charlie Co., 2/39th...there were several wounded that day and they wound up taking a couple of NVA PW's by the next day.

post-14358-1307552800.jpg

RTAVR Queen's Cobra tracks in jungle in Long Thanh area (sorry if spelling is off, but I'm pretty sure that's it) This followed a contact where they had taken casualties and after a long and very frustrating attempt to Medevac hoisting them out, the CO got ripped and called in the tracks. Not the kind of terrain you wanted to be riding an APC in and we threw tracks twice. It was a deeply religious experience... :unsure:

post-14358-1307552956.jpg

I don't know what it takes to pin a topic but I think this thread should be up there with the others that are pinned.I have been checking this thread daily since it stared.The art work I think makes this special,something I have never seen for the Vietnam era.These photo's I would compare to reading through a LIFE publication.noexpert thanks for sharing these photo's and drawings of your time in Vietnam and rescuing them from your basement.

Salvage Sailor
Mobile Riverine Force Flotilla, 1968

The vessel to the left of the LST in this photo (the one with the A frame derrick on the bow) is a Combat Salvage Boat operated by Harbor Clearance Unit One (HCU-1).

From the HCU-1 website:

Our four Combat Salvage Boats are converted Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM 6), designed and equipped for riverine salvage work in support of the Mobile Riverine Force in Vietnam. A much smaller version of the YLLC, each CSB is manned by a handpicked, all enlisted crew of six to eight men, four of whom are divers.

Due to its size, the CSB is able to perform salvage operations in lesser rivers and channels than the YLLC's. Its size, however, is not an indication of its capabilities. The CSB is capable of entirely independent salvage operations. Being equipped with a 10-ton A-frame derrick mounted forward, two jetting pumps, air compressors for both diving and salvage applications, cutting and welding facilities, and an excellent fire-fighting capacity, the CSB's are establishing quite a reputation as the mainstay of salvage support for the Mobile Riverine Groups.

To the men of the CSB, salvage is independence, responsibility, teamwork, and excitement. Valuable experience in inland and restricted water navigation, working independently where there are no others from whom to seek advice, relying upon and being relied on by others, comradeship, and "being where the action is" are all factors which make a tour on the CSB a rewarding experience.

Reference

Sharing a brew with "Uncle Ho" While searching a village for weapons, troopers of 3/5th Cav laughed themselves sick when this fella, who was almost Ho Chi Minh's double showed up. He happily shared a Miller and posed for pictures with a lot of guys who "captured Ho Chi Minh" that day. :)

post-14358-1308225064.jpg

Draft of a cartoon I did for The Old Reliable, the Division newspaper. I did a few of these VC cartoons for the paper during my tour.

post-14358-1308225399.jpg

I keep telling him, you need to do a book. Unlike a lot of photogs who are interested in shots that are "different" he was supposed to take the 'average' stuff.

But then, what do I know.....

PBR's tied up alongside the Benewah (which, I noticed I started out spelling correctly and then switched to misspelling for some reason...sorry about that.) "PBR's" is what's written on the negative holder, that may not be the right nomenclature and I hope I'll be forgiven if I am mistaken.

About the only nautical terms I know are... boat; is it supposed to sound like that; are we sinking; when can I get off... :)

post-14358-1308283483.jpg

Monsoon...the rain sloshing off the RTO's helmet gives some idea of just how hard the rain came down...the Infantryman's life is one of grinding misery and discomfort...and no mail.

post-14358-1308283963.jpg

Salvage Sailor
Monsoon...the rain sloshing off the RTO's helmet gives some idea of just how hard the rain came down...the Infantryman's life is one of grinding misery and discomfort...and no mail.

The monsoon rains would come down like sheets of water, often so hard that I though it would dent the steel decks.

Chaplain, 2/39th. He decided he wanted to come out on an operation and got, perhaps, a little more than expected on the day he came out. In front of him in this photo was a seriously wounded VC officer and there had been considerable mayhem throughout the day. A 9th Sig photographer out with Charlie Co was killed that day. This picture was taken with Alpha.

post-14358-1308371927.jpg

This is an amazing collection of photos and drawings.

Thanks for sharing this with us here.

I'd be interested if ever a book comes out.

Erwin

I run toward the short end of the spectrum, and a lot of chest deep Delta streams were shoulder deep or deeper for me which made taking pics like this a challenge...of course, it still beat having to hump a radio...

post-14358-1308541339.jpg

DENTCAP, Cholon, May 1968. This was going on just a few blocks (for lack of a better term) away from the large A & D ceremony shown in previous pictures. I just happened to come across it. The other photographer was PIO from USARV or Stars and Stripes or something, I just remember he wasn't happy to have some peasant horning in on his photo op.

post-14358-1308674474.jpg