Found Collection of VN Combat Art, Negatives, Contact Sheets

noexpert

One of the American GI's assigned to the RTAVR Queen's Cobra on the horn with the Medevac chopper trying to coordinate the extraction of the several wounded Thai soldiers. The GI's, who were there not as advisors...the Queen's Cobra was an all volunteer, very professional regiment and knew what they were doing militarily, but more as "radio liasons" to communicate for the Thai's when American artillery support, helicopters, or other support was needed and language barriers may have arisen. My impression was they'd been pulled out of their units and given the assignment. The language barriers were steep, and in situations like this one there were breakdowns. The guys were as patient as sheep, but they were enlisted, dealing with foreign officers, who were concerned about their men and with officers in a chopper who were equally concerned about theirs.

post-14358-1319862320.jpg

Soldiers from the RTAVR Queen's Cobra trying to move wounded soldier to be hoisted to Medevac chopper. The attempt, with a jury rigged stretcher, was aborted almost instantly.

post-14358-1319863644.jpg

The major finally furiously pulled the plug on the whole Medevac attempt and called in the RTAVR's own tracks to come through the jungle to retrieve the wounded. This is his my friend Seree, the major's own RTO calling in the tracks.

post-14358-1320347296.jpg

One of the GI's assigned to the RTAVR Queen's Cobra on the horn keeping in contact with gunships that were providing cover as we evacuated wounded on tracks after firefight in VC basecamp. Long Thanh area, 1968.

post-14358-1320346018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cholon, May 1968. I debated putting these up because of condition, but decided I'd see how they fly because of the subject matter. Unfortunately, as will be seen these were never seen as more than refences and were, obviously, dropped and used as coasters. Who knew. :ermm:

post-14358-1321910850.jpg

Just bringing this back up because these are awesome to go through!

Thanks again. Appreciate the kind words.

Tango Charlie, Charlie Troop, 3/5th Cav, July 1968, I Corps. Truth be told, even without a caption anyone would know this guy was a cavalryman.

post-14358-1322945584.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to have some my work published in the Division magazine The Octofoil, in this case just a couple of - literally - clippings were used in this ad to get guys to join the Octofoil Association.

post-14358-1325367612.jpg

Ths is another case of random sketches pulled together to illustrate an article. This issue was publishe after I had left country.

post-14358-1325367812.jpg