Found Collection of VN Combat Art, Negatives, Contact Sheets

noexpert

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderfully done. The energy of your hand is captured in every piece, yet every piece is done slightly differently. Capturing "weight" of an object is not easy, more often than not, subjects tend to have a "floating" or "rigid" stance. Not in your case. Again, well done. You should spend a little time to archive these.

Salvage Sailor

Outstanding restoration of the photo of Dennis Rooster,

Thanks for posting this.

For folks just tuning in to this topic, this is a self portrait of the Combat Photographer who shot all of these fantastic photos.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:12 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Outstanding restoration of the photo of Dennis Rooster,

Thanks for posting this.

For folks just tuning in to this topic, this is a self portrait of the Combat Photographer who shot all of these fantastic photos.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, rooster77 said:

restored

Ret.jpg

On 5/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, rooster77 said:

restored

Ret.jpg

Thank you for this really excellent fix. The photo was shot by a kid named Osborn, a Combat Photographer from 9th Sig, who provided the official Combat Photogs for the Division. He was killed a few days later w/ Charlie Co, 2/39th. All I was ever able to get ahold of were the contact strips.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:54 AM, collector said:

Would like to know what cameras you used, and how they held up!

I used a Petri FT. Picked it up at the PX. It was the only thing I could afford. Until I joined the CAT, I'd never seen a 35mm camera in my life. They wanted someone willing to go to the field and shoot pictures and I told them I'd been the photographer for my school newspaper...which was true, I just didn't mention I'd only used a Polaroid and we'd only started using pictures in my senior year. I probably shot about 5000 rolls of film and maybe 40 were usable. :^ D
It was a great little camera though. Very tough. Went through all kinds of Delta conditions, numerous dunkings, monsoon rains, other stuff. Sadly,  a couple of days before I left country somebody swiped it...

On 5/11/2020 at 10:48 PM, Matt-M said:

Wonderfully done. The energy of your hand is captured in every piece, yet every piece is done slightly differently. Capturing "weight" of an object is not easy, more often than not, subjects tend to have a "floating" or "rigid" stance. Not in your case. Again, well done. You should spend a little time to archive these.

Thank you for your kind remarks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Salvage Sailor
On 5/20/2011 at 6:43 PM, noexpert said:

I really apologize for the poor quality of this slide, but I thought the image was interesting enough to put it up.

3/5th Cav at Wunder Beach, Gulf of Tonkin, July 1968.

post-14358-1305952930.jpg

I have a positive ID on this vessel now and as I suspected, it's my ship...

USS GRASP (ARS-24) She moored to the shore at Wunder Beach and Chu Lai on multiple occasions to repair underwater seaload fuel lines in July and August 1968.

There ya go...

921080178_USSGRASPARS24.jpg.16fddcfd3b284a8abe64885a9fa64d24.jpg

1400234413_ARS24USSGRASP004.jpg.b2cb1e8c95f59c560edb17e761f87a50.jpg