Found Collection of VN Combat Art, Negatives, Contact Sheets

noexpert

two 9th inf orignal postcards to send home

and a 9th inf history magazine brochure from 1918-1968

post-6335-1304631834.jpg

and a close up of the names of staff from the 68 photo album

any one you know?

Yeah, except for Kirkendall and Antone - who had left country before I joined the CAT, I knew all of those guys. Orosz, Rosrbach, Wickstrom, Kirkendall and Antone were the Division's first CAT, though from what I could tell Antone never actually "joined" the team and was more of a "contributing artist." A really remarkable draftsman, he could draw armored vehicles that were just amazing.

When I joined Orosz, Rorhbach were there, Wickstrom was really short and Sherwood was NCIOC. He was replaced by Rene Evans. Jim Smith came on later in my tour. He'd been at the French Fort before he came to us. By that time I was away from the Detachment more than I was with it, so I didn't know everyone as well.

The books are made up of a mix of art and photos that were done throughout the 9th's time in-country, so the list's of artist's and photographer's don't represent people necessarily serving in-country at the time the book was published. I have art and photos in books that were published well after I left. I even had sketches and cartoons published in The Old Reliable (the Div newspaper) in 1969, months after I was back in the World. :)

(As far as the jacket, this isn't the thread, the Mods have got enough wrangling to do... :w00t: )

DSchlagan

Many of those photos in the "contact sheets" would be also quite interesting to view larger.

Thanks much for this thread!

Regards,

Don.

Grouping of work by Ray Patlan. Ray's style was very bold, and really captured the drama of a moment.

post-14358-1304684759.jpg

There are a few 8 x 10's that were salvaged.

I think I'm showing them in order. This one shows GI's crossing a paddy. I know this is 2/39th, though I'm not sure which company. The pictures are backstamped September [1968]

Many of those photos in the "contact sheets" would be also quite interesting to view larger.

Thanks much for this thread!

Regards,

Don.

post-14358-1304713089.jpg

The guy closest to the camera is the one who was running in the earlier picture, the one climbing over the dike is the company commander.

(why one pic stayed black and white over the years while the others have gone sepia is one of those mysteries. They were all processed at the same time, but for awhile, I had the one of the guy running in a mat and pinned up, so maybe that did it, though it wound up in the cellar with the rest. Go figure.)

post-14358-1304713481.jpg

Corpsmancollector

These are indeed very powerful. Thanks so much for taking the time to post them and share your memories with us, it is greatly appreciated by many I'm sure.

Will

This is another picture from the contact sheet. It appeared in one of the combat art collections. He is a Medic from Alpha Co., 2/39th. Sadly, I cannot recall his name, but I know he was highly decorated. No one can ever say enough about the Medics!

(*edit...beyond what his tattoo obviously tells us. )

post-14358-1304876464.jpg

Another photo from the contact sheet. The guy in the tiger stripes was an interpreter known as "Tony" who just about everyone thought was at least a VC sympathizer. Whether he was or not, I have no idea. He was the only interpreter I ever saw who wore tigers and none of the other interpreters or the Tiger Scouts would have anything to do with him. The other Vietnamese in the picture is one of Alpha Company's Tiger Scouts.

post-14358-1304876775.jpg