Found Collection of VN Combat Art, Negatives, Contact Sheets

noexpert

Dennis,

New here, intro in the front. Gotta chime in and agree with everyone that this stuff is a real treasure. I came upon this site being a military buff and a fan of among others Dave Hackworth, who in turn thought the world of Don Schroeder. I reread books every couple/few years then I go search for info/photos/video, often about Don Schroeder, about which very little has existed, until now (well 2011- but I just found them). Do you realize that, apparently, you have more than quadrupled the number of photos of LTC Schroeder available in the public domain?

I also have to agree with what you said earlier; if a book is to be written it should be about all the unsung heros you listed (you included Schroeder). And that is why I would periodically search for info on him, because he was world class, had to be for the likes of Hackworth & Hank Emerson to admire him unconditionally. Of course Schroeder was Emerson's man, his XO in the 101st, and then he brought him to the 9th Div, as he did Hackworth. Then Emerson, already a legend, saw his reputation grow even more in Korea, with the likes of Colin Powell idolizing him as did countless others who served under him. Now there's another book that alas may never be written.

Do you have additional photos of Schroeder or any of Emerson? Is there any 9th Div video you know of that's not already on the internet? It also seems that very little official Army photo/video exists of the 4/39th at all. Did any of your 9th Div CAT team go out with the 4/39th? Of course Hackworth was the CO and wrote a famous book about it but most all photos were shot by soldiers. The quality of what you guys shot is outstanding!

Thx,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

Thank you for your kind comments. To tell the truth I had not realized that Col Schroeder was so "camera shy." Unfortunately, I missed my one opportunity to snap a pic of Emerson, I figured I'd have plenty of others. He was shot down shortly after, so much for "seize the moment..." . I did not cover 4/39th and, during my tour at least, I was the only CAT photographer, so for that period there would be no pictures from our team.

Dennis

USCapturephotos

One of the better condition surviving slides. In the Plain of Reeds, sometime late in 1968.

I'm curious about the NLF/ Chicom chest rig that you are wearing in this super photo. Thanks for sharing the drawings and thank you for your service. They remind me of a great exhibit put on at the Constitution Center in Philadelphia a year or two which focused on US combat artists from the past up to and including Afghanistan which totally surprised me. I had no idea there were combat painters illustrating what they are seeing even now.

All the best.

Paul

The S/Sgt in the photo is not me. He's a platoon sgt in Alpha 2/39th. I didn't carry a weapon. Wearing ChiCom equipment in the field was something that some units did, and others didn't. Alpha seemed to have an unusual number of guys who favored the AK pouches compared to most units I covered, including other companies in 2/39th... (and before any experts chime in...I can only speak to the period I covered the Division November '67 - November '68. Prior to, and following that, I cannot speak to.) (Also, upon looking at this photo - #54 - I noticed that I put up flipped, or as a mirror image...sorry.)

Glad you like the stuff and appreciate the comments.

Dennis

Dennis,

Alpha Co has been having reunions, 2-3 lately I think. If you search Youtube for Alpha Co 9th Division reunions there's a 5 part series posted by "Longtimers". I tried to reach out to one of them to turn them on to this thread. There's a couple slide shows posted too with alot of great pics, but yours complete the mix.

David

• 4 months later...

I run toward the short end of the spectrum, and a lot of chest deep Delta streams were shoulder deep or deeper for me which made taking pics like this a challenge...of course, it still beat having to hump a radio...

This RTO's name is Walter Hardin, and he was the RTO for CPT Charlie Hardin. Charlie told me that his own father and Walter were from the same hometown in Mississippi, that Walter had a heavy southern accent, same as he did, and that Charlie would have Walter radio orders to his platoons. Walter would say "This is Hardin, I want you to do this, and you to do such n such". Until the platoon leaders caught on and required that CPT Hardin ID himself when issuing orders. What a hoot!

Why can't a member edit one's own posts?!?! This is ridiculous. I responded "with quote" to a picture post, but the picture was not included. So now I can't edit it, that I can see, for any reason...add pic, edit text, delete post....

The response with quote that I posted was about the pic of an RTO, a young black trooper chest high in water, on who knows what page of this thread.

Sorry Showbart, I've been out of touch for some time and rarely check in any longer. Thank you very much for the information. Hearing Captain Hardin called "Charlie" is strange, to say the least, tough the sense of humor and bagging his platoon leaders certainly rings true - 2/39th as a whole seemed very tight in the officer department. Walter DEROS'd shortly after the pic was taken, so I never really knew him (never really knew anyone well actually, since I moved from unit to unit.) If you knew Capt Hardin after the war, I would love to hear more about him. Please leave a personal message and I'll try to be more diligent about responding.

The picture, by the way - and I had to look around to find it too - is #169 on page 9.

• 7 months later...
Giovanni R.

This topic has some really unbeliavable and stunning pics/drawings! Thanks a lot for sharing, I found really a lot of good informations pretty useful for my reenactment activities! Did you ever get in the field with 3/60th?

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Very...I know...obviously not combat or VN related, but literally had this fall out of an old book I was giving to a church sale last weekend and thought it may be of interest to some.post-14358-0-67567800-1410443762.jpg Hard to believe it's been forty-seven years since this happened. I'm second from the left kneeling. A few of the others in the photo also wound up in the 9th Division. For those looking for the ribbon, we were given the Living and Breathing Award, after our graduation ceremony. :^ D

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great photos of (then) CPT Jesse Johnson on an operation gets a visit from MG Ewell. This is a clipping I scanned when I visited Charlie Hardin, and the notes on the newspaper (Old Reliables or S&S) are in his hand. FYI (then) CPT Charles Hardin was known as Chuck in VN, but to his lovely wife Judy, and in later years, he was known as Charlie. He retired an LTC and is a true hero. It was an honor to have met him.

post-126787-0-01503200-1427751564.jpg

• 8 months later...

Capt Harden guiding Schroeder's ship in...

Actually, if I haven't pointed this out before, this is LTC Don Schroeder guiding in his C&C (2 photos), not CPT Chuck Hardin. You can see the Screaming Eagles patch on Schroeder's sleeve. Hardin was never in the 101st.

USARV Deputy Cmdr Lt Gen Frank Mildren at Rach Kien. Shaking hands with 2/39th S-2 Lt. Burris, beside him is Capt Johnson who was just about S-everything else except S-3. Taking these sorts of pictures was an essential part of a photographers job in order to maintain a good relationship with the officers you worked with. Like every other exectutive, they liked to have pictures of themselves standing beside VIP's. Who doesn't?

Jesse Johnson told me that he is not in this photo, FYI.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jesse Johnson told me that he is not in this photo, FYI.

I'm obviously getting back to this way too long after it's been posted but I just want to - in my own defense I guess - point out that I wasn't identifying the gentleman in the photograph as Captain Johnson of Charlie Company. He is from Battalion HQ. My recollection (no doubt somewhat shaky after a few decades, and having only spent several weeks in total with the unit) is of him also being Johnson. He was a fine man in a thankless job and was helpful in getting me squared away when I got to Rach Kien, etc. I presumed it was quite evident from the photo, and my description of his duties, that he was not Captain Jesse Johnson. Apologies for any confusions.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just spent the last couple hours looking through these posts and I have to say this is one of my favorite posts I've seen on the Vietnam war. Absolutely fantastic photos and drawings. They really tell a story. Thank you for your service and for sharing the history behind the photos.

• 3 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Cholon, May 1968, A & D ceremony, 5/60th GI"s awarded Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry

That has to be the tallest grunt in 5/60th

5 60th.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The vessel to the left of the LST in this photo (the one with the A frame derrick on the bow) is a Combat Salvage Boat operated by Harbor Clearance Unit One (HCU-1).

From the HCU-1 website:

Our four Combat Salvage Boats are converted Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM 6), designed and equipped for riverine salvage work in support of the Mobile Riverine Force in Vietnam. A much smaller version of the YLLC, each CSB is manned by a handpicked, all enlisted crew of six to eight men, four of whom are divers.

Due to its size, the CSB is able to perform salvage operations in lesser rivers and channels than the YLLC's. Its size, however, is not an indication of its capabilities. The CSB is capable of entirely independent salvage operations. Being equipped with a 10-ton A-frame derrick mounted forward, two jetting pumps, air compressors for both diving and salvage applications, cutting and welding facilities, and an excellent fire-fighting capacity, the CSB's are establishing quite a reputation as the mainstay of salvage support for the Mobile Riverine Groups.

To the men of the CSB, salvage is independence, responsibility, teamwork, and excitement. Valuable experience in inland and restricted water navigation, working independently where there are no others from whom to seek advice, relying upon and being relied on by others, comradeship, and "being where the action is" are all factors which make a tour on the CSB a rewarding experience.

Reference

Following up, from an Harbor Clearance Unit One salvage grouping in my archives

Mobile Riverine Force Flotilla 1968 001.jpg

Vietnam 025.jpg

LCM8 003.jpg

1971 009.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to say thanks to No Expert for starting this thread, and keeping it full of interesting images and descriptions.

I've spent the last few days, on and off, going through the 17 pages. Just a lot of great content.