Need help datinga USAF Cap

ed101

This cap has no tags or markings. Can anyone help with nomenclature or a time period?? Thanks in advance....

EDIT: Pictures are no longer available but kept thread because of pictures below

Photographs from my collection:

waf4.jpg

And tag of one hat:

casquettenavy4.jpg

I was wondering if it was Vietnam era... You answered that question for me. Thank you very much. Nice photos...

I don't know if this is Nam period or not because there are no descriptions or dates on the back.

Hi,

My understanding is the DSA 100-69-C... the 69 is the year of manufacture (1969). If I am not correct, let me know.

thanks,

-Ed

Hi,

My understanding is the DSA 100-69-C... the 69 is the year of manufacture (1969). If I am not correct, let me know.

thanks,

-Ed

Yes, 69 for 1969.

m1ashooter

Do jump on the 69 date. My wife bought hers at clothing sales in 1980 so this could be a later hat.

I just noticed in the bottom left photo, looks like the old WWII barracks....

In those days we got what Army left behind :rolleyes:

But, most of us who lived in them remember them fondly, and get all nostalgic about it.

Hi Ed. Is the crown made of cotton or a vinyl like material? The so-called WAF "bucket hat" was first introduced in 1949 and remained in service through the 90s with a few cosmetic changes along the way. Later models from the mid 60s > featured a vinyl-like white crown of a higher profile than the earlier types which had white cotton crowns. Without a label it's difficult to nail it absolutely but the above info might help narrow it down?

Ian

Hi Ed. Is the crown made of cotton or a vinyl like material? The so-called WAF "bucket hat" was first introduced in 1949 and remained in service through the 90s with a few cosmetic changes along the way. Later models from the mid 60s > featured a vinyl-like white crown of a higher profile than the earlier types which had white cotton crowns. Without a label it's difficult to nail it absolutely but the above info might help narrow it down?

Ian

Hi Ian,

This one has the textured vinyl . A wealth of knowlege here!!!

Hi Ian,

This one has the textured vinyl . A wealth of knowlege here!!!

We always do our best Ed!

Ian ;)

PS. Still waiting on the goggles....any day now?! :think:

We always do our best Ed!

Ian ;)

PS. Still waiting on the goggles....any day now?! :think:

Hi Ian,

Trouble with the less expensive shipping is the time it takes. goes on the slowest boat. Could be 3 weeks + total time in transit.

Regards

-ed

• 2 weeks later...

The girls often refered to this style hat as a "sugar scoop". Lots of variations as the design was used by the Army also, but different color.

• 2 weeks later...

The service cap looks like a white vinyl service cap. The white vinyl cover service cap was worn from 1966 to 1998. The solid blue service cap replaced it in 1997. Here is a officers hat in my collection made by Miles, size 22 1/2 and tag MIL-H-83012.

Mark

post-1786-1306125859.jpg

• 1 month later...
The service cap looks like a white vinyl service cap. The white vinyl cover service cap was worn from 1966 to 1998. The solid blue service cap replaced it in 1997. Here is a officers hat in my collection made by Miles, size 22 1/2 and tag MIL-H-83012.

Mark

I found out today who wore this service cap. the last time this cap was worn was in 1977 when she retired

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Was the badge on the cap always worn by women in the usaf? or was the badge on it worn by women in the Army, navy, etc.?

Ryan