William Link USMC Insignia / EGAs and Company Info

usmcaviator

usmcaviator

Has anyone ever seen any Marine insignia made by the William Link Co.? Does anyone have additional details as to the Company's time of existence or details into the business itself? For those with Link marked wings and such, how rare are Link marked pieces? Are they equivalent to rarity and quality, like Tiffany marked pieces?

Thanks for your replies.

Mike

I'd be interested to see that...find something you're not telling us about? hmm? hmm? :whistling:

I imagine they could have carded unmarked examples, as well. I'm interested in learning more after those Tiffanys you unearthed

usmcaviator
I'd be interested to see that...find something you're not telling us about? hmm? hmm? :whistling:

I imagine they could have carded unmarked examples, as well. I'm interested in learning more after those Tiffanys you unearthed

Maybe...There is a grainy photo of a Link EGA in the small reference work by Orgel, appears to be missing the anchor chain. He has it identified as "A. Link", but think he means "W. Link". I doubt Link didn't mark their items, they seem to be quality maker's along the lines of a private maker like Tiffany.

Mike

Bob Hudson

I found two references to Link being in business through 1931:

"William Link was a Newark, New Jersey jewelry maker who primarily worked in sterling silver and some 14k gold. The company was in business from 1871 through 1931. Over the company's various incarnations (quite helpful in dating the pieces) Link maintain a very high standard of workmanship and design on par with the best in Newark, including Unger Brothers."

This one says 1923:

linkmarks.jpg

Bob Hudson
Are they equivalent to rarity and quality, like Tiffany marked pieces?

The one source shown above (from an article on cuff links) compares LINK to Unger Brothers. Unger, Link and Tiffany were mentioned as equals in at least one area:

"The finest hatpins frequently have adjustable ends, allowing their gemstone ornaments to swivel toward light, regardless of how the pin is inserted. Some even hold containers that screw open to reveal a tiny mirror and powder puff or a vinaigrette filled with smelling salts. Among the most famous makers were Charles Horner of Halifax in England and, in the U.S., the Unger Brothers, William Link, Paye & Baker and Tiffany. "

teufelhunde.ret

I was aware Link had made wings... nothing about EGA's. Nonetheless, will not be all that surprised as something like this info is bound to come to the surface from time to time...

An example of their hallmark:

post_6250_1240458279.jpg

usmcaviator
I was aware Link had made wings... nothing about EGA's. Nonetheless, will not be all that surprised as something like this info is bound to come to the surface from time to time...

An example of their hallmark:

I can confirm that the William Link Co did make at least an officer's service hat Corps device. One is pictured in Orgel's reference in the back of Moran's book.

S/F,

Mike

usmcaviator
The one source shown above (from an article on cuff links) compares LINK to Unger Brothers. Unger, Link and Tiffany were mentioned as equals in at least one area:

"The finest hatpins frequently have adjustable ends, allowing their gemstone ornaments to swivel toward light, regardless of how the pin is inserted. Some even hold containers that screw open to reveal a tiny mirror and powder puff or a vinaigrette filled with smelling salts. Among the most famous makers were Charles Horner of Halifax in England and, in the U.S., the Unger Brothers, William Link, Paye & Baker and Tiffany. "

Thanks Bob, even better info. You guys are hounds!! See you at Pomona.

S/F,

Mike

Link was founded simply as Wm. Link in 1871. The company became Link & Conkling in 1882 and went back to just Wm. Link in 1886. In 1893 the firm became Link, Angell & Weiss and in 1900 just Link & Angell. This period's trademark was three interlinking rings with L A W going to L & A when the name change occurred. In 1910 the firm became Wm. Link Co. with a double link trademark.

usmcaviator

oh...why do you tease us so?

Oh ok, I was going to show you all in my book, but that is probably some time off in the future after my Marine career....here is a William Link USMC officer service hat insignia. And naysayers have said I hide things in my closet! Dates circa 1910-1914. Next to Tiffany (if a hat version exists), this is the finest jeweler made Corps Device you could probably get in the 20th century. Only one I have ever seen.

The continents are amazing, I have never seen anything like it. It is pinback with Tiffany style catch.

S/F,
Mike

post-22-0-37456600-1400098178.jpg

PhotoMarine

WOW...just don't seem to cover it Sir.....then again a 100 word essay would fall short too I think.

normaninvasion

That globe really stands out, perfect blend of color and patina, continents beautiful done. Well done!

Like we discussed, figured I'd throw it up here for all our friends here

seems like a higher quality piece inspired by others of the era...I really like it...

Untitled.jpg

seems like a higher quality piece inspired by others of the era...I really like it...

Just outstanding!!

Are you and Mike still on active duty?

Murray

yes we are...just on opposite ends of the country

Great........do you know anyone stationed in Gitmo. I was there in the 90's and spent many hours standing OD and enjoyed looking at the pictures of the former commanding officers in their best dress uniforms dating back as far as there were photos taken. I mention this because in most cases their EGA's were quite visible. Maybe one of you could e-mail the command and get copies for the reference section. The uniforms alone were pieces of art and worth looking at. Additionally, the command had an historical officer who may be of help.

Semper Fi

Murray

usmcaviator

Thanks Tim for your comments, and for pointing out the similarities. The eagles wings and body do seem inspired by the "thin winged" version of the 1890's-1900's era emblems. I knew you would appreciate it.

S/F,

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

Truly a remarkable emblem - find! I do believe if we had a category for "EGA Find Of The Year" this one would take grand prize...!

usmcaviator
Truly a remarkable emblem - find! I do believe if we had a category for "EGA Find Of The Year" this one would take grand prize...!

Thanks Darrell. I've had it almost a year, so maybe last year's? I am still waiting for my "find" this year. I'd settle for a Tiffany Co hat emblem, if one exists, or the very first 1868 Corps Device. Is my bar set too high?

S/F,

Mike

Thanks Darrell. I've had it almost a year, so maybe last year's? I am still waiting for my "find" this year. I'd settle for a Tiffany Co hat emblem, if one exists, or the very first 1868 Corps Device. Is my bar set too high?

S/F,

Mike

you know how during a PFT, at the pull up bars, there's always that one that's about 8 feet up there that the shortest fuys seem to get stuck with? I think it might be one of those situations :blink: