USAAF Navigator + Bombardier Wing non-regulation combination

Tonomachi

This just sold on eBay (# 160163618321) for $178.49. It looks like a combination navigator and bombardier wing of WW2 vintage. I've never come across this combination. Is this real?

post-1389-1191865817.jpg

post-1389-1191865830.jpg

As far as "real", goes, it's not an authorized wing but looks like a WWII period piece. Probably some dual rated Navigator/Bombardier had this thing made up so show the dual ratings. It wasn't too uncommon to find men with dual ratings in those days. Any paperwork on who might have been the owner?

Real a relative term here, I was actually going to bid on this before it got so high. I THINK, it is a period piece that someone had made up at the time (WWII). I have a rather large group from a bombardier from the 379th BG 526th BS, that includes his mission diary, he flew the majority of his missions as a navigator ( and was rather irritated about it). So it is very possible that someone had this one made up to reflect something like that . The base wing certainly looks good. While not "official" I think its "real"

Paul

IMPERIAL QUEST

I'm no expert but I think someone got screwed. Possibile that the veteran served as a Navigator and Bombardier during the war and altered a set of Nav. wings himself by adding the bomb.

Didn't mean to repeat Paul's comments above - we were posting at about the same time.

I think that what you have here is a person who decided to "improve" his bombardier wing by removing the bomb and having an instant Observerwing. Then, not being satisfied with having a loose bomb sitting around, decided to add it to another wing and make a fantasy piece that he could then flog on eBay.

Allan

As far as "real", goes, it's not an authorized wing but looks like a WWII period piece. Probably some dual rated Navigator/Bombardier had this thing made up so show the dual ratings. It wasn't too uncommon to find men with dual ratings in those days. Any paperwork on who might have been the owner?

I doublt if there was any paperwork with this wing. I wasn't the winning bidder for this piece. It supposedly came out of an estate of a 90 year old gentleman. The seller does not seem to know anything about militaria.