1969 Collapsible 5 gal Shower Pail

all-bull

Hello there,

I found this today, and have never seen anything like it. It appears to have never been used. Did these see any extensive use in Vietnam? Are they hard to come by or worth anything? Any help would be great! Thanks!!

post-2063-1304272822.jpg

El Bibliotecario

From what I've been told, whenever it rained in Vietnam everyone in a field unit wishing to bathe ran outside en deshabille with a bar of soap. If my information is correct, the pictured item could be a rare REMF artifact.

Interesting, I also stumbled across the same thing at a flea market today. kind of a shame, it was unissued but I had already blown my wad of dough, so I had to pass. :thumbdown:

I don't believe they are rare as I see them from time to time. The later war ones had brown plastic nozzles rather then metal. I sold one a few years back on E Bay for around 25.00......

Jack's Son

My friends in Hawaii use them for their daily showers. :thumbsup: They built their home on a hillside and have no running water, electricity or sewer. They use whatever rainfall they can catch of showers and drinking.

• 3 weeks later...
canteenman

I'm a little late doing my surfing therefore I get in on the comments pretty late too. I was in the artillery in Viet Nam. We could stick a pole down the tube (barrel) of the howitzer and hang one of these bags on it. Then you fill it with water, or put in what ever amount you were allowed, and crank up the elevation of the tube. Stand on an ammo box and have a nice shower. This procedure almost guaranteed a fire mission so you would have to clear the area before you finish your shower.

Used one while at Ft Polk in the early 80's, used to hang it of the side of my track(113). We also used it for our one and only shower the day before we left the NTC