STOLEN USMC EMBLEM COLLECTION 04/29/11

bobgee

USMCRECON

Man.....that's some great EGAs and, as Mike wrote, high $$$ stuff, including that one unique jeweler-made one.

The thief(s) probably didn't steal the stuff just to look at so I suspect we'll see these items coming around on eBay or one or the other auction sites and/or military shows. With the wear patterns & patina documented with photos, it's probably almost as good as fingerprints and I would suspect they will be fairly easy to identify if/when they pop up.

I wish him the best of luck in recovering these birds.

that jeweler one will stand out instantly when it appears

As stated, seems the good stuff was nabbed primarily? I remember losing most of these emblems to him on eBay back when...

Raleigh show is next month. I'll scout it out

MarCorp67

To all of my fellow Forum Members:

I just want to thank everyone for all of your support and a special thanks to Bobgee for getting the word out so quickly and to Darrell for posting some of the pics of the higher end items. Many of them came from members of this forum who were gracious enough to offer up some of their treasures so other members like me could round out our collections. In addition to the one shown on the above I also lost 4 Luke single collar emblems as well as about a dozen of the 1926 & 1937 Service and Dress emblems sets/singles (mostly H&H, Myers, Gemsco, Vanguard) and many emblems fron pre WWI up to WWII. I will add a few more pictures of items that were stolen.

S/F

Ronnie

post-2974-1304467691.jpg

post-2974-1304468240.jpg

devildog34

I will keep my eyes posted as well. This breaks my heart to hear. I am so very sorry that you have to experience this, something I think we all fear as a possibility on the back of our heads but never feel the sting until it happens. I really hope that you get redemption and more importantly are able to recover some of your lost treasures. I hope we, our small community of Marine collectors, are able to help you out. I will be on the lookout for sure. God speed and semper fi,

Kevin Seldon

I would like to echo Ronnie's comments about BobGee and Darrell's great efforts!....Bob has been going the extra mile calling people to get the word out and letting dealers in his area know. I think they will turn up and be spotted thanks to several forum members efforts.

USMCRECON
I would like to echo Ronnie's comments about BobGee and Darrell's great efforts!....Bob has been going the extra mile calling people to get the word out and letting dealers in his area know. I think they will turn up and be spotted thanks to several forum members efforts.

I want to commend Bob and Darrell for their efforts as well.

The more collectors and dealers/sellers who know about the theft and what to look for, the better the chance of recovering items and apprehending the waste-of-skin thief/thieves. I am hopeful on both accounts.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wan't to let everyone know that the local police caught two people (meth heads) who they think were the ones that broke into my house and they are currently in jail. Unfortunately, they only found four of my emblems out of the approximate 100 they stole and a couple of pieces of my wifes jewelery. None of the emblems pictured on the forum were recovered. Hopefully, as they continue to investigate they will be able to identify the people who they either sold or traded the stolen items to for drugs.

Semper Fi,

Ronnie

Jack's Son

Ronnie,

I wish you every hope of recovering your collection over time.

Only God knows where the pieces are, maybe the perp's stayed local. :thumbsup:

it's a start, a lot of times it doesn't even get that far. Let's hope they find the rest soon and intact!

normaninvasion

That's good news, they caught the dirtbags, I wish they'd declare 'open season' on meth zombies. Hope, the rest of your valuables are recovered. Have you tried looking at area pawn shops?

KASTAUFFER

I would also talk to the guys locally who buy scrap gold and silver. Hopefully they have not been melted,

Kurt

teufelhunde.ret
I would also talk to the guys locally who buy scrap gold and silver. Hopefully they have not been melted,

Kurt

Good idea - I hope the detectives on this case will sweat-out more info for you Ronnie. s/f Darrell

• 3 years later...

Any updates to this old thread? I am surprised that some of these havent "popped up" yet on the market after 3+ years.

Mike

Last I talked with him a few months ago nothing had popped up, he told me the individuals had been arrested and were tweakers. My guess is that best case they were sold privately, worst case (and most likely) they were pawned and melted for the metal content to fund their next fix

Sad to hear of such a tragic loss to posterity,any half clever "buyer" would have guessed that such rarities are pretty easily recognized and would have immediately melted them ,even "legitimate" buyers are melting U.S.Badges and Insignias for the silver,they just do not care about preserving our history when it comes to turning coin...makes me sick !

Last I talked with him a few months ago nothing had popped up, he told me the individuals had been arrested and were tweakers. My guess is that best case they were sold privately, worst case (and most likely) they were pawned and melted for the metal content to fund their next fix

Tim,

Thanks for the update. It's hard to believe, as I think a lot of his pieces werent really marked as to "gold" or "silver" content (fire bronze, brass, etc) and even melters are aware of the aesthetic and intrinsic value of military insignia, which is, as we know valued more than the weight. But if a "tweaker" (as you refer) is taking it to another of his kind, I guess even a small turn is worth the next quick fix. I'm still hopeful for him and am on the lookout when I buy as I get a lot of odd "offers" to buy from my website.

Mike

Tim,

Thanks for the update. It's hard to believe, as I think a lot of his pieces werent really marked as to "gold" or "silver" content (fire bronze, brass, etc) and even melters are aware of the aesthetic and intrinsic value of military insignia, which is, as we know valued more than the weight. But if a "tweaker" (as you refer) is taking it to another of his kind, I guess even a small turn is worth the next quick fix. I'm still hopeful for him and am on the lookout when I buy as I get a lot of odd "offers" to buy from my website.

Mike

I imagine any pawn shop dealing with known meth-heads would also assume the property is stolen, and it's easier and safer to melt down anything of precious metal than risk the authorities identifying stolen property. As shameful as it is, many a pawn shop is more than willing to peddle stolen property

Mike/Brig, i appreciate your continued interest. I, like all of you, have been watching for my stolen EGA's to show up but unfortunately they never have. None of the items stolen ( EGA's, medals, jewelery, etc.) have ever shown up for sale, so I guess they were either sold via a pawn shop, melted down or tossed in a field somewhere. I check with the police from time to time but nothing has ever turned up. It bothers me to no end to think that the EGA's made have been discarded in a trash dump/melted down and lost forever. If anything ever shows up I will let you all know, hope springs eternal.