Size chart and conversions

korea drab

I have a simple question about sizes: is there a way to know when we see a tag on a uniform if this will aprox fit me without puting it on?

an example: a M-51 coat labeled as large long, you can read heigth from 71´up chest 41-45.This would be my size.

Now is there a chart with all sizes in heigths and chest ?

Also boots,hats,pants and gloves? i tried diferent pages with partial information.

Is there such thing or can we do it here?

Good would be the same with british uniforms.

Thanks

KH

• 2 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

The size charts have changed over the years so it probably isn't possible to come up with a good working chart to cover the 20th century. The method used by the USMC through WW2 is difficult to understand more so than the Army method. Remember too that when you see a size specified for something like the M51 FJ, that you mention, that it is sized to fit over other garments. You should be able to depend on the sizes if they are stated. In lots of cases wool garments have been laundered in harsh conditions and shrinkage can be a problem. Other materials hold their size fairly well.

I have a simple question about sizes: is there a way to know when we see a tag on a uniform if this will aprox fit me without puting it on?

an example: a M-51 coat labeled as large long, you can read heigth from 71´up chest 41-45.This would be my size.

Now is there a chart with all sizes in heigths and chest ?

Also boots,hats,pants and gloves? i tried diferent pages with partial information.

Is there such thing or can we do it here?

Good would be the same with british uniforms.

Thanks

KH

As Craig notes, this is a tough one and coat sizes are the worst, One of the best way to judge coat sizes is chest size: you measure your chest size under the armpits and then measure the coat at the same location. Then you pick a coat whose chest measurement is about four inches larger than your own. The coat sizes on labels over the years have varied a lot so that in one period a coat might be labeled a "44" and indeed the chest measurement would in fact be 44 inches. But modern suit coats with a label saying "44" might actually measure 48 inches and the label refers to the size of the wearer's chest, not the coats.

Pants size are much more straight forward with simple waist and inseam sizes given for most military trousers since about the early 50's I believe. Because of shrinkage though I would get sizes a couple/few inches larger than modern pants I buy at the store.

Here's some handy charts:

USMC WWII clothing sizes

HAT SIZES

US........ English........ Inches

6-3/4........ 6-5/8........ 21-1/8

6-7/8........ 6-3/4........ 21-1/2

7........ 6-7/8........ 21-7/8

7-1/8........ 7........ 22-1/4

7-1/4........ 7-1/8........ 22-5/8

7-3/8........ 7-1/4........ 23

7-1/2........ 7-3/8........ 23-1/2

7-5/8........ 7-1/2........ 23-7/8

7-3/4........ 7-5/8........ 24-1/4

7-7/8........ 7-3/4........ 24-5/8

8........ 7-7/8........ 25

• 2 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

That appears to be a cross over chart between US sizes and metric sizes more than a military size chart. Most US military garments are made to fit a range of sizes and have been made that way since the 1950's. Take-ups and adjustments allow these size ranges. Most cold weather gear is made large to fit over other garments as well for the layering principle. This includes foot wear that is larger to fit over heavy socks.

There is no pat answer to this size thing. If you can list a specific garment and what size you are trying to fit we can usually tell you what size you need to buy. Height / weight, chest, neck, waist, inseam and arm length all are part of the formula. Arm length is measured from the center of the back to the wrist with the arm held out straight to the side.

That appears to be a cross over chart between US sizes and metric sizes more than a military size chart. Most US military garments are made to fit a range of sizes and have been made that way since the 1950's. Take-ups and adjustments allow these size ranges. Most cold weather gear is made large to fit over other garments as well for the layering principle. This includes foot wear that is larger to fit over heavy socks.

There is no pat answer to this size thing. If you can list a specific garment and what size you are trying to fit we can usually tell you what size you need to buy. Height / weight, chest, neck, waist, inseam and arm length all are part of the formula. Arm length is measured from the center of the back to the wrist with the arm held out straight to the side.

Craig

Thanks for your offer,that is why i came to this great and respectfull forum!

And so far you and other members have being very helpfull!

Firts items arrived and fit to my desired idea.

KH thumbsup.gif